The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Why no "all in one" acoustic effects pedal with Para EQ? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595707)

JackB1 10-19-2020 03:40 PM

Why no "all in one" acoustic effects pedal with Para EQ?

I've been looking for a pedal that can provide basic effects for my acoustic:
reverb, chorus, compression, delay AND also give me more than a basic bass,treble, mid EQ. Something with a parametric EQ.

The only one I know of is the Soulmate, which I didn't care for because ALL the EQs are parametric/shelf types, which are very tricky to dial in. I know I can buy all these pedals separate, but that can get very costly and also take up a lot of pedal board space. The other one I know of is the Boss AD-10, but I don't like the reverb or what Boss calls "Ambience". There really aren't many solutions to this. I guess everyone makes due with a simple 3 ring EQ?

I have been using a Fishman Tonedeq which gives me everything I need EXCEPT the para EQ. I guess I could just add a Boss GE-7 pedal?

Cuki79 10-19-2020 03:48 PM

EAE stompmix 4 has everything but chorus I guess...

Line 6 HX Stomp Should check all the boxes

Tech 21 fly rig acoustic too

Trace Elliot transit-a almost does

Willie_D 10-19-2020 03:55 PM

Zoom A1 Four has multiple eq models based on ToneBone, Baggs, Fishman, and others.

stephenT 10-19-2020 04:36 PM

Not exactly what you're looking for but I been using a Fishman ToneDEQ. To my ear it's the most natural sounding floor acoustic preamp I've used, it has a beautiful reverb and the tone controls work excellent w/ an acoustic.

I've been through a number of acoustic preamps, all of them well reviewed so I was surprised the ToneDEQ w/ older technology had what I thought was a much better sound w/ very usable effects. I'm also comparing it to the preamps on my Schertler Jam 400 which are very nice. They are very close to one another in warmth.

Irish Pennant 10-19-2020 06:50 PM

It's out of production but the Zoom A3 is a very good pedal, a little complicated for some. It has a lot of effects and does them well and parametric eq is just one of them.

JackB1 10-19-2020 08:25 PM

I had that unit and didn’t think the effects, like reverb and chorus sounded that great. But yes it’s an option I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie_D (Post 6527927)
Zoom A1 Four has multiple eq models based on ToneBone, Baggs, Fishman, and others.

JackB1 10-19-2020 08:27 PM

I agree the Tonedeq effects sound great. It’s just missing the ability to really sculpt the mids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenT (Post 6527961)
Not exactly what you're looking for but I been using a Fishman ToneDEQ. To my ear it's the most natural sounding floor acoustic preamp I've used, it has a beautiful reverb and the tone controls work excellent w/ an acoustic.

I've been through a number of acoustic preamps, all of them well reviewed so I was surprised the ToneDEQ w/ older technology had what I thought was a much better sound w/ very usable effects. I'm also comparing it to the preamps on my Schertler Jam 400 which are very nice. They are very close to one another in warmth.

stephenT 10-20-2020 07:08 AM

True. If you're trying to get rid of a problem in the mids a parametric EQ is necessary. Maybe another EQ pedal w/ parametric in the chain?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6528124)
I agree the Tonedeq effects sound great. It’s just missing the ability to really sculpt the mids.

MaurysMusic 10-20-2020 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6527913)
I've been looking for a pedal that can provide basic effects for my acoustic:
reverb, chorus, compression, delay AND also give me more than a basic bass,treble, mid EQ. Something with a parametric EQ.

The only one I know of is the Soulmate, which I didn't care for because ALL the EQs are parametric/shelf types, which are very tricky to dial in. I know I can buy all these pedals separate, but that can get very costly and also take up a lot of pedal board space. The other one I know of is the Boss AD-10, but I don't like the reverb or what Boss calls "Ambience". There really aren't many solutions to this. I guess everyone makes due with a simple 3 ring EQ?

I have been using a Fishman Tonedeq which gives me everything I need EXCEPT the para EQ. I guess I could just add a Boss GE-7 pedal?

Just set the lowest parametric to the most common Bass Q and the highest one to the most common Treble Q, and treat those like non-sweepable controls. No?

JackB1 10-20-2020 07:55 AM

That's a good idea, but I have no idea what those frequencies are. Anyway I don't have that unit anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaurysMusic (Post 6528368)
Just set the lowest parametric to the most common Bass Q and the highest one to the most common Treble Q, and treat those like non-sweepable controls. No?

JackB1 10-20-2020 07:56 AM

Yes I would need an EQ pedal that isn't also a preamp, since the Tonedeq is already the preamp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephenT (Post 6528357)
True. If you're trying to get rid of a problem in the mids a parametric EQ is necessary. Maybe another EQ pedal w/ parametric in the chain?

varmonter 10-20-2020 08:17 AM

I have the line6 hx stomp. It certainly
Checks all those boxes and much more.
But it's like 600.. but you can choose
The type if EQ you want in your
chain.

JackB1 10-20-2020 08:41 AM

The Hx Stomp is too complicated for me. I'm not a tweaker and I don't want to spend hours trying 50 types of delays and reverbs. I also don't want to have to use my laptop to edit presets.

Quote:

Originally Posted by varmonter (Post 6528439)
I have the line6 hx stomp. It certainly
Checks all those boxes and much more.
But it's like 600.. but you can choose
The type if EQ you want in your
chain.

MarkF_48 10-20-2020 12:37 PM

Putting a lot of stuff in a box will likely result in some things not being as good as a box that is more dedicated to doing the job real well. The A1 Four mentioned previously is what I'm using now. I have other pedals that do certain things better than the A1 Four, but like yourself I wanted a single pedal for what I'm doing. Some of the A1 Four patches can sound better with some tweaking which isn't too hard to do from the display screen once the button presses are figured out. The parametric EQ's can be tweaked and tuned from the display and some knob twists. For the price I'm pretty happy with it.
Below are a few of the EQ effects available which would likely do what you want.
https://i.imgur.com/CCoJDMN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5d57sob.jpg

JackB1 10-20-2020 01:04 PM

The Baggs Venue one looks the most useful.
I don't like the cheap plastic material though and if I went with a Zoom unit,
would probably opt for the better built G3n. Pretty sure all the Zoom units use all the same effects anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkF_48 (Post 6528732)
Putting a lot of stuff in a box will likely result in some things not being as good as a box that is more dedicated to doing the job real well. The A1 Four mentioned previously is what I'm using now. I have other pedals that do certain things better than the A1 Four, but like yourself I wanted a single pedal for what I'm doing. Some of the A1 Four patches can sound better with some tweaking which isn't too hard to do from the display screen once the button presses are figured out. The parametric EQ's can be tweaked and tuned from the display and some knob twists. For the price I'm pretty happy with it.
Below are a few of the EQ effects available which would likely do what you want.
https://i.imgur.com/CCoJDMN.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5d57sob.jpg