The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fishman Artist wierdness (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538488)

sbmackie 02-18-2019 02:57 PM

Fishman Artist wierdness

Channel 2 on my artist, both XLR and 1/4 inch, is way, way hotter then Channel 1. With either a guitar or mic plugged in, moving the channel gain off the stop more then about 1 clock postion from off causes massive volume change, feedback, etc. Channel 1 operates absolutely normally. The Fishman documentation doesn't indicate anything like this. Bought used from Guitar Center about 6 months ago. It's been happening since I bought it, but I've worked around it by keeping the gain and master volume way down, and bringing the gain on channel 1 where I've got the mic plugged in way up.
I'm new to this amplification thing. Got an email in at Fishman, but not open today.
Any ideas?
Scott

rmp 02-18-2019 04:17 PM

Make sure the PAD button is not engaged (pushed in) on the channel that is not as loud as the other. It's the little button right next to the inputs...

sbmackie 02-18-2019 05:09 PM

pad button

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp (Post 5983568)
Make sure the PAD button is not engaged (pushed in) on the channel that is not as loud as the other. It's the little button right next to the inputs...

Yes, I have had them both in, both out, one or the other in or out. The PAD button functions on the suspect channel, but it is still way, way over gaining.
Scott

Howard Emerson 02-19-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbmackie (Post 5983486)
Channel 2 on my artist, both XLR and 1/4 inch, is way, way hotter then Channel 1. With either a guitar or mic plugged in, moving the channel gain off the stop more then about 1 clock postion from off causes massive volume change, feedback, etc. Channel 1 operates absolutely normally. The Fishman documentation doesn't indicate anything like this. Bought used from Guitar Center about 6 months ago. It's been happening since I bought it, but I've worked around it by keeping the gain and master volume way down, and bringing the gain on channel 1 where I've got the mic plugged in way up.
I'm new to this amplification thing. Got an email in at Fishman, but not open today.
Any ideas?
Scott

Call Fishman and speak with their technical department.

They don't care if you're the original owner or not when it comes to helping customers diagnose a problem.

I'm not saying they would fix it for free, but for something as wierd as you're describing they may want to know about it, or already DO know about it, and perhaps have a vested interest in helping to remedy the problem.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

sbmackie 02-19-2019 10:07 AM

Fishman CS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Emerson (Post 5984079)
Call Fishman and speak with their technical department.

They don't care if you're the original owner or not when it comes to helping customers diagnose a problem.

I'm not saying they would fix it for free, but for something as wierd as you're describing they may want to know about it, or already DO know about it, and perhaps have a vested interest in helping to remedy the problem.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

Yep, just got off the phone with Mike at Fishman, sent RA form, instructions for removing head from speaker cabinet, easy peasy $20 shipping both ways on me, $50 to fix everything. Can't ask for more.