The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   12-String Guitar Commision? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536596)

dennyman 02-01-2019 07:01 AM

12-String Guitar Commision?
 
Hey Guys, have any of you commissioned the building of a 12-string guitar? If so, would please post some pictures and/or comments about the result of the build?

Iím asking as Iím thinking about selling some guitars in order to finance a custom build. Right now, Iím thinking of a simple 12-fret to the body mahogany neck, with hog back and sides and a spruce top in a dreadnaught body shape.

Thanks in adavance for any replies 🙂

fazool 02-01-2019 07:10 AM

It sounds like a pretty vanilla spec list. Are you sure you need a custom build and can't find one off-the-shelf?

kyee 02-01-2019 05:04 PM

I commissioned a Ryan 12 string a number of years back. Still playing her, and it's still the best 12 string I've played thus far.

Ryan 12 string all koa

Silly Moustache 02-01-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyman (Post 5966626)
Hey Guys, have any of you commissioned the building of a 12-string guitar? If so, would please post some pictures and/or comments about the result of the build?

I’m asking as I’m thinking about selling some guitars in order to finance a custom build. Right now, I’m thinking of a simple 12-fret to the body mahogany neck, with hog back and sides and a spruce top in a dreadnaught body shape.

Thanks in advance for any replies ��

I did once, it was a 12 fret - like a Martin D12-20. I can't show you a picture because it imploded in weeks and the luthier gave me my money back ... long time ago.

12 fret dread 12 string ? Look for a used D12-20 and pay a luthier to make it good - this is mine, a '64 rebuilt by Martin in '98, and "blinged" up with a x35 trim.


SJ VanSandt 02-01-2019 05:34 PM

I'm not seeing that many mahogany 12-string dreads out there, except at the low end. I'm assuming you want custom built to get something that fits your preferences as far as neck shape, nut width, tone, etc. - I say go for it. I know Steve Kinnaird builds 12-strings - in fact he has one for sale right now, or has had recently. He builds fine guitars at fairly reasonable prices - you might contact him.

The Growler 02-01-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyee (Post 5967209)
I commissioned a Ryan 12 string a number of years back. Still playing her, and it's still the best 12 string I've played thus far.

Ryan 12 string all koa

Thanks for the link. That is stunning. Kevin does amazing work.

colins 02-02-2019 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fazool (Post 5966633)
It sounds like a pretty vanilla spec list. Are you sure you need a custom build and can't find one off-the-shelf?

Fazool has a good point. There is incredible variety in the custom built world. Lots of builders making great guitars but they each have their own take on it and as a result the characteristics of the guitars vary a lot. As an example, go to the Dream Guitars website and search for 12 string....amazing variety, with small factories and many single luthiers represented.

So I'd rephrase Fazoolís comment and suggest that if you want a custom build you first find the custom builder(s) that make the style of guitar that you really like, and then talk to those builders about a 12 string.

If we knew more about the guitars you currently like to play we could maybe be a bit more specific with our suggestions.

Col

Silly Moustache 02-02-2019 03:34 AM

On USA Ebay right now there is a '74 D12-20 with a dealer in New York which meets your criteria, has had a neck resent and looks to be in magnificent condition.

$2000 is the ticket price.

justonwo 02-02-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 5967231)
I did once, it was a 12 fret - like a Martin D12-20. I can't show you a picture because it imploded in weeks and the luthier gave me my money back ... long time ago.

12 fret dread 12 string ? Look for a used D12-20 and pay a luthier to make it good - this is mine, a '64 rebuilt by Martin in '98, and "blinged" up with a x35 trim.


That sounds awesome, Andy.

dennyman 02-02-2019 05:12 PM

Hello Everyone. Thanks for the posts, pmís, emails and video! Iím going to work on raising the funds. The amount I can generate will determine what I do 😉

The Bard Rocks 02-02-2019 09:01 PM

Mine was made by Nick Appollonio. He has made over a thousand instruments, most of them double coursed, yet he is not well known here (not so in other places). You won't find anyone who makes them at less cost either. And he is great to work with, will try anythingl


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=