The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Repair or Return? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535526)

Pura Vida 01-22-2019 05:22 PM

Repair or Return?

I just received a used guitar via Reverb, which was listed in "excellent" condition. The seller was easy to work with and disclosed that it had a few scratches. However, when the guitar arrived, I noticed finish checking (possibly due to shipping in cold weather), but more noticeably... the neck was scraped by a faulty humidipak that the seller included in the case.

I'm taking it to my luthier now for a full inspection and estimate on the neck repair, but I thought it would be good to get your expert opinions. My two options are: (1.) request a return and not deal with the repair / resale value issues or (2.) negotiate a partial refund and keep the guitar with its new-found mojo.

It's a $1050 guitar new (MAP price), so in addition to the repair cost, how much should I expect to lose in resale value with the finish checking and post-repair finish aesthetics? I'm guessing $100-150 for the repair, and another $200 or so for the lost value. Am I in the ballpark?

Here are some photos.

Neck:
https://i.imgur.com/rbCkxHDh.jpg

Finish checking example:
https://i.imgur.com/2aBVgH4h.jpg

Faulty humidipak:
https://i.imgur.com/6msmw6Rh.jpg

lowrider 01-22-2019 05:36 PM

You don't say what the guitar is, or how much you paid, so it's hard to say. I'd probably send it back. But if I really liked the sound and playability, I'd negotiate a really low price, not worry about the checking, and maybe sand down the chipped area on the neck if it bothered me when playing. Then I'd play the crap out of it and enjoy my bargain guitar.

Pura Vida 01-22-2019 05:51 PM

Yeah, I excluded some of those details. It's an Eastman E8D (Rosewood/Sitka dread). MAP is $1039, and I paid $750 with an LR Baggs Anthem installed.

Rev Roy 01-22-2019 05:59 PM

I’d probably send it back. And, BTW, those aren’t Humidipaks...

Pura Vida 01-22-2019 06:07 PM

Sorry, you're correct. It's an Oasis guitar humidifier.

frankmcr 01-22-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Roy (Post 5956774)
I’d probably send it back. And, BTW, those aren’t Humidipaks...

It's an Oasis OH-6.

(PV beat me to it, grr.)

lowrider 01-22-2019 06:14 PM

How does it sound to you? If you kept it, what is it worth to you? How would you feel about it if the seller settled for $400?

It's a nice guitar, try to make a deal that makes you happy.

Paddy1951 01-22-2019 06:49 PM

Do you like the guitar? Does it's sound please you? Did you buy it to PLAY it?

Or did you buy it to flip it?

If you want to just flip it, get a refund.

If you bought it to play and enjoy, then your other options can be considered.
I don't think you should have to deal with unexpected damage. That said, resale might not even enter into the picture. Do you plan on this guitar being just a stepping stone? If so, again, get a refund or a partial refund.

But.... You may like this guitar enough that you still have it 20 years from now.

Dwight 01-22-2019 07:36 PM

I think it works out better for both parties if you return it.

LadysSolo 01-22-2019 07:43 PM

If you like the sound and bought it to play and enjoy, I would negotiate a partial refund. If you plan to sell it, I would probably send it back. I would probably try to get about $250 - $300 back if I loved the sound and feel and wanted to keep it.

Guest 728 01-22-2019 07:45 PM

This one is easy: if you had known about the checking and the neck damage, would you have still paid $750 for it?

___ Yes (keep it)

___ No (return it)

Shaneh 01-22-2019 07:47 PM

You might get $400 on trying to sell it given how eastmans seem to not move unless low priced. You can find used with no issues for $600-700 so with neck repair and lots of checking I am guessing more like $400 if it sells at all. Good luck with what ever option you choose

Jcamp 01-22-2019 07:55 PM

This is just me but the finish checking to me ain’t a big deal (unless you are trying to flip the guitar) and I even know guys that will do this on purpose. The neck issue is a little more aggravating to me. Where is it located fret wise? If it were me and it bothered me I’d contact the seller ASAP and get them to either agree to pay for the repair (if you return it they will likely have to do this anyway) or return it for a full refund.
I’ve seen some stuff on here where buyers gripe (sorry there’s just not much nicer way to say it) about very small things in my opinion and to me it sounds like they basically think they can get a better deal on the guitar they just bought so they amplify things bigger than they should be.
I do believe both of yours are valid points but before you contact the seller and try to get anything other than the cost or repairs I’d suggest just sending it back. I think a reasonable seller will understand and will be more likely to want to help if they feel like you aren’t trying to put the screws to them. As is you already got a good deal so if they just pay for the neck repair or return shipping you should be fine and they hopefully will too. Hopefully they have some sort of insurance to cover the repair

Pura Vida 01-22-2019 08:00 PM

Really appreciate all the feedback. In addition to the neck work, it needs a complete fret level, new saddle, and possibly some nut work with the setup (the neck is twisted). Total for the work is at least $300-350, and I'd still be out on the checking and neck aesthetics, so I'd be asking him for at least half of what I paid him.

So, it looks like this one will need to go back.

Thanks, everyone.

phavriluk 01-22-2019 08:08 PM

good example

Repairs to guitars can cost such a large proportion of purchase price that I think the only way I buy a guitar needing work is to buy it as salvage. Been there, done that, broke even. Only done when I'd be happy keeping the guitar if it couldn't be sold off.