The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   West Coast build for Hanter (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581765)

Jamiejoon 12-17-2020 03:03 PM

What a beauty! That redwood, and the rosette, are shockingly nice.

That Tunnel 14 sure would look good with Bog Oak.

J

j. Kinnaird 12-18-2020 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird (Post 6577884)
Whoa baby, that turned out splendidly.
Send it over here bro, and we'll record it.

SK

Thanks bro. No one I'd rather have record this than you.
While it's there Ryan could take pics of it. His work is the best.

j. Kinnaird 12-18-2020 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamiejoon (Post 6578532)

J

Thanks Jamie and I agree with your assessment of Black Bog Oak and Tunnel 14. It would be a good looking and I'm pretty sure good sounding combination

Hanter 12-19-2020 01:55 PM

West Coast build for Hanter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamiejoon (Post 6578532)

J

Jamie! If you are thinking of pairing the Bog Oak with Tunnel 14 I suggest waiting for a couple of weeks. I just got word that something very special will be arriving to muddy the waters pretty soon!

Jamiejoon 12-19-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanter (Post 6580410)
Jamie! If you are thinking of pairing the Bog Oak with Tunnel 14 I suggest waiting for a couple of weeks. I just got word that something very special will be arriving to muddle the waters pretty soon!

Tantalizing! What could be more interesting than black Bog Oak and Tunnel 14 Redwood? I can't wait to find out!

Hanter 01-10-2021 04:50 PM

Thanks to everyone who has been following along and for your kind words. Those of you who have been diligently following AGF would have known that my guitar has been completed!

I'm also very excited to say that while the woods are coming to terms with their new life in the form of an instrument in John's shop, I will be personally driving to pick up the guitar from the North Carolina mountains sometime end of the month. John and I are very concerned and cautious about COVID, so unfortunately my visit will not include the customary shop tour, flipping through the wood stash (hmm I wonder what for???) and strumming the first chords in front of John.

The handover process will be more like

Hanter: "Hey John I'm pulling up right about now."

John: "Ok I'm putting the guitar on the front porch now......... Ok. Done. I'm going back inside the house."

Hanter: "Ok. Coming out of the car to collect it now.......Collected."

Eventful (or not) as it might be, I will have the peace of mind knowing it won't be in the merciless hands of shippers in the middle of winter. And I'll be spending a few days in beautiful Asheville :)

Also, for everyone's convenience, here are the links to the threads of the finished shots of my guitar that John kindly took and Al Petteway's recording:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=602418

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=603125

I have had some friends tell me that the Dropbox link was not working very well, so I've tried to upload the video to YouTube. Hope this works!

I'll be back with a review of the guitar!

invguy921 01-14-2021 09:08 PM

Hanter and John, GORGEOUS guitar with all the right bells and whistles. Sounds great too. That's a keeper for sure. Congratulations!

Hanter 01-15-2021 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invguy921 (Post 6604883)
Hanter and John, GORGEOUS guitar with all the right bells and whistles. Sounds great too. That's a keeper for sure. Congratulations!

Thanks Mike. Honored to have Al Petteway grace the instrument with his lovely playing. Can't wait to see & hear yours too!

Hanter 02-04-2021 08:32 PM

I think there ought to be some update here, just in case people are wondering. Well I am back from my roadtrip to Asheville, and it was a wonderful experience. The city is a quaint and beautiful one, and according to John there are only a handful of them like that in the US. Breathtaking scenery and nature trails, a diverse and fantastic palette of restaurant choices, safe, awesome arts and music scene, no wonder John chose to retire there! I can say with some certainty that it will not be my last trip to Asheville....

But anyway! Back to the matter at hand. The Tunnel 14 / Cocobolo West Coast looked so much better in person, with that almost peach-colored Tunnel 14 top and everything was so tastefully appointed. The tone (with no disrespect to Al Petteway and his recording devices) sounded much better too in the flesh, balanced and sweet, no harshness at all, with dynamism all round. I think this combination of tonewoods is a real winner.

I did not leave Asheville with the guitar. I know it must sound pretty confusing at this point, but long story short....... John liked the guitar so much he wanted to take this guitar for Woodstock (and any other shows this year) and make this the showpiece for 2021. We quickly reached an agreement that the only way I would part with this guitar was if he was willing to build me an instrument that was more superlative than the one I held.

So....... I guess we have another build thread coming soon!

Guitars44me 02-04-2021 09:19 PM

Ohhhhh.....

Once again I strongly suggest the Pablo Package of comfort and tone upgrades!!!

But you already know about it cause you have played my new Big Bad Braz a bunch!

Meanwhile I also suggest you snag either Mike's or Bobby's JKs to hold you over!

I would buy both if I was RICH!!!

I really enjoyed our conversations and hope you find something FUN to console you while you wait for the next (even better) JK

Salud

Paul

cigarfan 02-06-2021 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanter (Post 6625476)
I think there ought to be some update here, just in case people are wondering. Well I am back from my roadtrip to Asheville, and it was a wonderful experience. The city is a quaint and beautiful one, and according to John there are only a handful of them like that in the US. Breathtaking scenery and nature trails, a diverse and fantastic palette of restaurant choices, safe, awesome arts and music scene, no wonder John chose to retire there! I can say with some certainty that it will not be my last trip to Asheville....

But anyway! Back to the matter at hand. The Tunnel 14 / Cocobolo West Coast looked so much better in person, with that almost peach-colored Tunnel 14 top and everything was so tastefully appointed. The tone (with no disrespect to Al Petteway and his recording devices) sounded much better too in the flesh, balanced and sweet, no harshness at all, with dynamism all round. I think this combination of tonewoods is a real winner.

I did not leave Asheville with the guitar. I know it must sound pretty confusing at this point, but long story short....... John liked the guitar so much he wanted to take this guitar for Woodstock (and any other shows this year) and make this the showpiece for 2021. We quickly reached an agreement that the only way I would part with this guitar was if he was willing to build me an instrument that was more superlative than the one I held.

So....... I guess we have another build thread coming soon!

Yikes! :eek::eek::eek: