The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Takamine TC135SC nut-width. Is it really a hybrid/crossover? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212635)

justabeginner 04-03-2011 03:59 AM

Takamine TC135SC nut-width. Is it really a hybrid/crossover?

I've got a serious case of GAS and want to buy a nylon string crossover. After weeks of research I'd decided on the TC135SC and am in the process of arranging the purchase. I haven't been able to play the guitar, in fact the only crossovers I've found in local stores where I live are an Ovation 2073LX and a Taylor NS24CE.

I already have an Ovation 1862 Custom Legend with shallow bowl, and it's just not comfortable to play when sitting down. The curved back gives it a tendency to "slide away" which doesn't help my fingerpicking. The nut width and neck of the 2073LX felt fine to me but the deep bowl makes it a non option.

The Taylor felt more comfortable. I'd considered NS32CE, NS62CE or NS72CE but frankly have been put off Taylor nylons based on comments in forums of poor unplugged projection. Having lived with my Custom Legend for years, I want something with a better unplugged sound even though I do have and use an Acoustic Amp.

So, having settled on the TC135SC I have come across a problem. Most of the guitar stores online and forums report the nut width as 1 7/8 - which is great as that's what I'm looking for.

However, by chance I looked at the Takamine website yesterday (which by the way seems to have been updated recently) and the TC135SC is listed as having a 51mm nut width, which by my calculation is 2". Shouldn't 1 7/8 be 47mm?

I checked other Takamine models e.g TH90 and they all show nut width of 51mm so from this I deduce the TC135SC is referred to as a crossover because of the 14 fret to body, and narrower body. The neck width is traditional classical. Right?

Can someone help clear this up. Is the Takamine website wrong? If their website is correct why do most stores list the nut width as 1 7/8 (except Maury's who show it correctly as 2")?

Also posted in takamineforum.

Larry M 04-03-2011 07:10 AM

Tc135sc

Hi.

I have this guitar. The nut is 1 7/8". It is a crossover with the narrower nut and 14 frets to the body. The neck shape is different from my other, more traditional neck Takamine (CP132SC). The TC135's is more rounded. The body is not shallow at 3 7/8".

Please feel free to PM me if you'd like more in-hand information.

Larry

CCFingerstyle 04-11-2011 02:36 PM

Agree

I agree with Larry. I've had one. It is a 1 7/8 nut. Nice electronics.

DJ in FL 04-15-2011 06:40 PM

Make it THREE votes for 1 7/8. That's what you wanted, so glad you are getting what you wanted.

Enjoy your new guitar...play in good health.

:)