The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Can someone please recommend a Yamaha for me? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430595)

Cedar Rosewood 05-21-2016 09:06 PM

Can someone please recommend a Yamaha for me?

I am interested in buying a guitar that I can take out and enjoy, because my other guitar is a Taylor and it has a Cedar top, I am worried about "imperfecting" it, as such.

What I would be interested in knowing is what you guys feel about Yamaha's tone? Do they sound more like a Martin or Taylor, or are there particular models that lean more towards a bassy or shimmery sound?

I know the easiest way is to get out there and play them, but "there" is a long way away, so I was thinking of just ordering off Amazon.

Thanks for any recommendations!

kaos 05-21-2016 09:17 PM

i think the ac3 is taylor like. But probably more than you want spend on beater. I recommend the new fg800 which is closer to a martin tone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

rumble 05-21-2016 10:38 PM

My 2015 LL16D ARE sounds more Taylor like than Martin . Clear balanced with good sustain.

Rmz76 05-21-2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cedar Rosewood (Post 4944056)
I am interested in buying a guitar that I can take out and enjoy, because my other guitar is a Taylor and it has a Cedar top, I am worried about "imperfecting" it, as such.

What I would be interested in knowing is what you guys feel about Yamaha's tone? Do they sound more like a Martin or Taylor, or are there particular models that lean more towards a bassy or shimmery sound?

I know the easiest way is to get out there and play them, but "there" is a long way away, so I was thinking of just ordering off Amazon.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Yamaha's are interesting. They sound like Yamaha's. :) The Taylor balance is there, but their dreads also have some of that Martin clang.

James_214ce 05-21-2016 11:06 PM

What is your acceptable price range?

The Taylor 114ce would be an excellent choice.

CMGibson 05-22-2016 01:02 AM

Yamaha FG730 sounds better than any Guitar I ever played. $299 new. Now called FG830.

Watch this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCsLK7cpP0

Rpt50 05-22-2016 03:49 AM

The Yamaha FG guitars are stupid good for the money. I bought my son the 700 as a beater for college. Based on playing a few different models, it seemed to me that the difference from the other 700s was largely appearance. They all sounded great. I find the 700 compares very well with much more expensive guitars we have around the house. You will need to shave a bit to get the action down, but no other adjustments were needed on ours.

The 800s are supposed to be even better, but I have not heard (live) or played one yet. Price appears to be the same, starting at $199.

Guest 429 05-22-2016 03:58 AM

Consider FS option in 800 series

Yamaha 800 series guitars.

Trawlerman 05-22-2016 04:28 AM

I just played the 800 in Sam Ash and was very impressed with the value. I own an older Yamaha and the tone is definitely more Martin.

cooper59 05-22-2016 05:00 AM

yamaha sound like a yamaha. i have a ls16 that will blow away every taylor i have owned and sounds great. for under 800[to many people that is a beater] there isn't a guitar that can beat it , unless its another yamaha l series

oatsoda 05-22-2016 06:35 AM

Always been a Yamaha fan, but that being said - better sounding than any guitar I have ever played? Uh-uh. But my number one acoustic, in terms of the acoustic I have owned the longest that I would grab if there was a fire, the FG460S I bought new in '86 or 87, despite having two sweeter sounding Martins in the place. One of my truest friends for sure.

I have not played the newer 800 series, but the 700 series is impressive for the cash. I bought a used natural 720 to flip, and honestly had a hard time not keeping it. My current camp guitar is a blue burst FS720. Picked it up with a gigbag for $100, and it was nearly unplayed. Lots of great deals like that out there. It's really nice to have a cheapie guitar that you can leave tucked in the tent trailer while your off hiking, bike riding, down at the beach, etc., and not worry much about it disappearing while you are gone. With a tent trailer, the lock on the door is just pretend, undo the Velcro walls and you're in so you certainly don't want your pride and joy hidden in your sleeping bag, or getting rained on. The slightly smaller body size and shorter scale are nice for noodling at the campfire, and taking up a little less space when travelling. A lot nicer than a backpacker too for comfort, volume, and tone. The new FG Jrs are a lot of fun to play too, but don't have quite the volume or tone of the 720s, but very tempting. Every time I go into the shop I pick up the Jr. sunburst model, think about taking it home, taking just a scratch off the bottom of the saddle, stringing it with extra lights, and taking it camping instead of the 720. Would be the perfect lawn chair size, and perfect to pass over to let the kids dink with too.

The local shop has had a used, but mint, LL6 hanging on the wall for close on two years, and honestly, it's about the nicest playing guitar in the place, better than the J45, the J200, the D28 and all else. Can't believe it is still there, but I guess why would you pay $400 for a used guitar when you can get a new fender, or epiphone, with a hard case for under $200, or a new 720 for just a little more. Hard not to pick it up every time I go in for strings.

Great necks on the old FGs, as well as the LLs and 700 series. Lots of guitar for the money.

Yup, in the cheapie guitar price range, IMO, Yamaha is better than martin, taylor, and all the rest. I bought a cheapie Jasmine when down visiting my sister in Virginia. Enjoyed having it there in my subsequent visits too, but compared to Yami, what a POS. Still after a few years, the plywood still reeks of glue, the neck feels like it was shaped by child labor, which it might have been, and the thing sounds dead. But hey, it was $20 less than the Yamaha, and it is nice to have a guitar waiting for you when you show up at the family reunion.

Yamaha good.

Charmed Life Picks 05-22-2016 11:07 AM

A couple quick suggestions:

1) Buy used. There are a TON for great Yamahas out there on CL and eBay. No reason to buy new. Many people get these as gifts, or buy them with the intention of learning to play and never do. I've purchased ten year old Yamahas that have never been out of the case. Recommendation: Buy an FG-730 for about $150.00 used vs $300.00 new.

2) Buy Sweetwater vs Amazon. In CA, where I live, we pay nearly 10% state sales. And we have to pay that every time we order something on Amazon. Sweetwater (I have no affiliation) charges no sales tax and gives free shipping. They'll have almost everything you need, especially if you're thinking Yamaha.

Wonderful guitars, wonderful company. Can't go wrong.

Good Luck!
Scott

Pitar 05-22-2016 11:27 AM

Next time I make it to a store I'll bring along my tone quality spectrometer and get an assessment of the inventory relative to known brand sound. First I'll have to send it to the various brands to have them calibrate it with current brand sonics to ensure it has their updated sonic logrhythms (PLEK-enhanced, of course). Then after I get it back I'll listen to them and adjust them to my own ear to ensure sonic quality is preset before going to the store. Stay tuned.

InTune 05-22-2016 07:36 PM

Pretty much any Yamaha is awesome. They have very balanced tones, not too heavy on bass or treble. Also, they are built tough. I've had my fg720 for years, bumped it many times and even dropped it down carpeted stairs and it's in "excellent" condition. Fg for more bass, fs for brighter, ll6 or ll16 for magical sustain and overtones. I have a fg820 on the way because I love my 720 so much I need to know what the fuss is about. But I'd say a fg800 or fg820 would suit you just fine and you wouldn't regret the buy. Fg820 is going for 259. I buy from musiciansfriend.com they have a 45 day return policy. The Fg is a guitar you won't be afraid to take out anywhere (camping, bbq, get together,) and it will definitely sound good!

dr461 05-22-2016 07:44 PM

If you can find a Yamaha CPX1000, they were fantastic guitars. They are thin line jumbos, and have a great sound and excellent electronics. They are no longer made, but used ones often go for around $800 or so.