The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fishman SA-220 Question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621896)

michaelm101 07-27-2021 12:15 PM

Fishman SA-220 Question

I'm thinking of buying a friend's SA220 for $200, but it has scratchy pot syndrome, primarily in the EQ section (as you know, a common issue with this model due to unsealed pots).

I plan on bypassing the preamp section and running my mixer into the back end via aux in or efx send.

1) Will this steer me clear of any issues related to the scratchy pot problem?

2) Will my signal still have access to the on-board reverb?

3) What is your opinion on using the SA-220 in this manner?

Thanks in advance!

_Mike_ 07-27-2021 12:48 PM

Can’t answer your question, but CAN tell you the procedure for cleaning the pots with canned air is pretty straightforward and relatively easy (assuming you have some mechanical aptitude).

I have an SA220 I got really cheap because one channel was dead. One $5 can of air and about 30 minutes and it was working again.

I’ll send you the instructions if you pm me an email.

RogerPease 07-27-2021 12:55 PM

Based on my SA330x:

1) Yes, but see answer 3.
2) Nope.
3) Sure you can do that, but just fix it. Not hard and then you can use it any way you want.

Cheers, _Roger

michaelm101 07-27-2021 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Mike_ (Post 6773191)
Can’t answer your question, but CAN tell you the procedure for cleaning the pots with canned air is pretty straightforward and relatively easy (assuming you have some mechanical aptitude).

I have an SA220 I got really cheap because one channel was dead. One $5 can of air and about 30 minutes and it was working again.

I’ll send you the instructions if you pm me an email.

Here are some details from the owner:

"But first, I want to make sure you are fine without being able to use the three tone controls. Useless, of course, you get it repaired.

I fired it up again this morning and there is definitely too much noise when you engage any one of the three tone controls. I also noticed that the channel two “clipping” light stays lit red even when only using channel one. I don’t why."

Any comments on this is greatly appreciated...

YamahaGuy 07-27-2021 02:42 PM

I work with a semi pro musician who has the SA220 and he's always dreading the day it fails on him. Personally, I'd go another route.

$200 to use it as a powered speaker seems like a bust to me.

If you know for a fact you could get both the scratchy pots on channel 1, and the clip light on channel 2 fixed, then it's a good deal.

michaelm101 07-27-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 6773257)
I work with a semi pro musician who has the SA220 and he's always dreading the day it fails on him. Personally, I'd go another route.

$200 to use it as a powered speaker seems like a bust to me.

If you know for a fact you could get both the scratchy pots on channel 1, and the clip light on channel 2 fixed, then it's a good deal.

This is my dialogue with Fishman:

Hello Gary- Will this compressed air procedure remedy the following issues?:

This is what the owner said:

"I fired it up again this morning and there is definitely too much noise when you engage any one of the three tone controls.

I also noticed that the channel two “clipping” light stays lit red even when only using channel one. I don’t why."

==============================================

Hi Michael,

Its a really good shot that it will.

The Pots have an opening so stuff can collect in there and cause this to happen.

Thanks,

Gary

YamahaGuy 07-27-2021 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelm101 (Post 6773267)
This is my dialogue with Fishman:

Hello Gary- Will this compressed air procedure remedy the following issues?:

This is what the owner said:

"I fired it up again this morning and there is definitely too much noise when you engage any one of the three tone controls.

I also noticed that the channel two “clipping” light stays lit red even when only using channel one. I don’t why."

==============================================

Hi Michael,

Its a really good shot that it will.

The Pots have an opening so stuff can collect in there and cause this to happen.

Thanks,

Gary

Roll the dice 🎲. Pro level gear is pro level gear. I've bought several used pro level speakers that I've had [and still work like new] for 7+ years now.

michaelm101 07-27-2021 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaGuy (Post 6773392)
Roll the dice 🎲. Pro level gear is pro level gear. I've bought several used pro level speakers that I've had [and still work like new] for 7+ years now.

Will do. I'll report back here with the results...

RogerPease 07-27-2021 07:49 PM

Assuming Fishman still supports the SA220 they will sell you a new part
for $50 plus shipping. You’ll have to send them your current preamp board
first. But try the fix first to see if that works. If not you have the option
to contact them again. You have to get an RMA number.

Hope this helps. _Roger

michaelm101 07-28-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerPease (Post 6773421)
Assuming Fishman still supports the SA220 they will sell you a new part
for $50 plus shipping. You’ll have to send them your current preamp board
first. But try the fix first to see if that works. If not you have the option
to contact them again. You have to get an RMA number.

Hope this helps. _Roger

Yes, this certainly helps in my dice-roll and gives me a reasonably priced plan "B."

Thanks very much for adding this valuable tidbit!

gfirob 07-31-2021 07:24 AM

I have a used SA220 and I have always used it with a mixer into the back of the amp, which works fine, then each channel's volume is adjusted from the mixer right next to me and I ignore the front of the amp. I also developed a problem with scratchy pot and Fishman sent me very detailed instructions with photographs to fix it and it has never been a problem since. These are great amps and the introduction of the 330 has really dropped the price on used 220's.

michaelm101 08-01-2021 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfirob (Post 6775761)
I have a used SA220 and I have always used it with a mixer into the back of the amp, which works fine, then each channel's volume is adjusted from the mixer right next to me and I ignore the front of the amp. I also developed a problem with scratchy pot and Fishman sent me very detailed instructions with photographs to fix it and it has never been a problem since. These are great amps and the introduction of the 330 has really dropped the price on used 220's.

Thanks for that last piece of info-I think that's the way I'll be using it- with mixer right next to me..