The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   RIP Lee Iacocca (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551122)

PorkPieGuy 07-03-2019 11:07 AM

RIP Lee Iacocca

An auto giant is gone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/02/o...occa-dead.html

imwjl 07-03-2019 11:37 AM

I enjoyed the highlights more than some memories of 1980s - early 2000s Chrysler vehicles that were assigned to me or belonged to family members.

A funny part here is that he might have saved the company, but my wife's folks loyalty to Chrysler and European cars is the best and shortest explanation for their daughter refusing to spend on anything but Toyotas. The poor girl grew up thinking failed transmissions, expensive HVAC repairs, and craptacular electronics was just how it all worked. No car is perfect so I don't know what I will do when she finally gets stranded in a Toyota.

:)

Kerbie 07-03-2019 01:23 PM

He was indeed a giant. My mom had a red-hot 64 1/2 Mustang. Beautiful car! Red inside and out. :)

May he rest in peace.

AX17609 07-03-2019 01:40 PM

The Mustang changed the world.

imwjl 07-03-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AX17609 (Post 6102266)
The Mustang changed the world.

Yes, and as much as we can knock quality in the era, his time at Chrysler continued affordable sporty cars and of course brought the minivan.

Steve DeRosa 07-03-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy (Post 6102143)

One of the last living links to the 1960's first "Golden Era" of the American musclecar, when skunkworks prototypes were real-world tested at 2AM on Woodward Avenue, "win on Sunday, sell on Monday" was the mantra, and dealerships like Mr. Norm, Tasca Ford, Royal Pontiac, Yenko, Baldwin/Motion, et al. would set you up with machinery whose pavement-melting performance is only now being surpassed...

RIP and - quite literally - Godspeed...

lfoo6952 07-03-2019 08:05 PM

I liked his commercials in which he bolded proclaimed "If you can find a better car, then buy it!".

Murphy Slaw 07-04-2019 05:12 AM

Mopar guy from way back.

Buying AMC gave Chrysler the Jeep brand. Who knew at the time how big that would be? He did.

Jeep and Ram are here today because of Lee.

Well done.

imwjl 07-04-2019 08:30 AM

The news also had me wondering if R.J. Scaringe more than Elon Musk might be a next hero of an auto industry era. Neither are really like Lee Iacocca but unless I've missed someone, they're here as leaders of change.

imwjl 07-06-2019 01:13 PM

I'm surprised there was no more praise for his era bringing us the modern minivan.

Murphy Slaw 07-07-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imwjl (Post 6104682)
I'm surprised there was no more praise for his era bringing us the modern minivan.

As a lifelong musician, I never understood the hate for the mini-van.

Even in high school, I could never have a "cool" car, because MY machines always had to have room for a big amp, guitar, mike stands, monitor, p.a. gear and such. That usually meant a van or a truck with a topper or a big arsed Chrysler.

I bought a used Dodge (not the Grand) Caravan around 2005 when my truck blew up, and my wife borrowed it and loved it so much she stole it from me.

imwjl 07-07-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw (Post 6105080)
As a lifelong musician, I never understood the hate for the mini-van.

Even in high school, I could never have a "cool" car, because MY machines always had to have room for a big amp, guitar, mike stands, monitor, p.a. gear and such. That usually meant a van or a truck with a topper or a big arsed Chrysler.

I bought a used Dodge (not the Grand) Caravan around 2005 when my truck blew up, and my wife borrowed it and loved it so much she stole it from me.

They got my attention early on because an employer used them for deliveries same time a friend got a panel (no windows) version and made it into a camper van as much as his DJ business vehicle. My wife said "not over my dead body" until we had 3 kids in diapers plus a 100 pound dog. She was part influenced by her parents' mix of Chrysler products and German cars. None were too reliable but the German cars sere more solid.

Now my wife has what I think is one of the most sleeper vehicles out there - the SE version of the Sienna. It's lowered an inch with some premium wheel and suspension bits and gets some Lexus style interior and outside trim. They're or at least the Toyota are powerful these days. It's pretty sweet and I'd want it if she would decide on something else.

Chrysler does have a hybrid now, and I think a BEV minivan style would be a super vehicle. I'm fingers crossed for some great new vehicle options out there within a few years.

I also wonder who will be the next well known innovators or saviors in the auto industry.

C-ville Brent 07-07-2019 07:28 AM

Sad to hear of Lee Iacocca's passing. He brought driving fun to many of us who couldn't afford something more expensive. I bought a new 1985 Dodge Shelby Charger. It was built on the Omni platform with a turbo charged 2.2 L engine. Mine was garnet red with a BIG silver stripe. It was relatively inexpensive, light weight, good 5-speed, sticky (expensive) tires, basic/crude, and great fun to drive on curvy country roads. I put over 140,000 miles on it when sold and never had any reliability problems. I've had more expensive, powerful, and refined cars since, but none were more fun to drive.