The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   power chords suck (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45981)

cobain 04-28-2004 02:49 PM

power chords suck

at least they do in my opinion. i think that using power chords is just limiting your ability to be a really good guitarist by not putting any effort into your playing. of course, everyone on the planet is too lazy to tab without them, so there's no tabs on the internet that don't use them. that's why i started a site that only has tabs that dont use power chords. but, since they're all songs i tabbed, it doesn't have very many yet. so please, go and check out my site! and send me a bunch of tabs! i'll put them up, i swear! i just need the tab, song name, and artist, and i'll put it on my site. thanks

www.angelfire.com/ill/powerchordssuck/index.html

A1rh0pper 04-28-2004 02:56 PM

Come now...they have a limited place in music...LOL.

Granted not a very good place in acoustic based music...but for that really meaty "power" sound in rock...you can't get it any other way.

jam 04-28-2004 03:11 PM

Cobain, I could be wrong here, but looking at your tabs, you must be going through a 55 gallon drum of picks a day!

--jam

nhsmitty 04-28-2004 04:11 PM

Power or Barre chords and a couple of AC/DC cassettes are what got me started on the road to playing by ear back at 16 y/o.

I'm no artist or a great guitarist, but I owe part of my ear training to those chords. I still use them at times to find the chord progression to tunes I'm trying to pick out, even if no barre chords are used in the song. Find it using barre chords, then switch to what's actually used..

Limiting my ability?? Not.. Helpful way to get me where I need to be?? Definitely!!!

Jeff M 04-28-2004 04:22 PM

Well, I guess I'm just operating in a different realm music wise. I just don't see to many power chords in my fingerstyle Celtic repetoir. :lol:

nhsmitty 04-28-2004 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff M
Well, I guess I'm just operating in a different realm music wise. I just don't see to many power chords in my fingerstyle Celtic repetoir. :lol:

This is true.. I love that style of guitar, but I can't make heads or tails outta it even with my barre chords. :D

Jeff M 04-28-2004 04:32 PM

The secret is to have the guitar tuned so that no matter what string you play it is a part of a nice sounding chord :ha:

nhsmitty 04-28-2004 04:40 PM

Ughhhhh!!! Alternate tunings..

"Help me, I'm melting!!!" :D

Maybe one day I'll get the hang of 'em.. ;)

taygull 04-28-2004 04:53 PM

I'm gonna ask a dumb question...What is a true "power chord", I play lots of chords, and fingerstyle stuff. I really don't play any electric.

nhsmitty 04-28-2004 04:58 PM

Barre chords. Particularly when on electric guitar with distortion.

nhsmitty 04-28-2004 05:04 PM

By the way.. Welcome to forum, cobain.

kidtwist 04-28-2004 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taygull
I'm gonna ask a dumb question...What is a true "power chord", I play lots of chords, and fingerstyle stuff. I really don't play any electric.

Chords consisting of the I and V tones. Since they don't have a III they're not technically chords, but people call them chords anyway. Electric guitarists who play with a lot of distortion use them because chords with a III in them don't sound good heavily distorted.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

aggie182 04-28-2004 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobain
i think that using power chords is just limiting your ability to be a really good guitarist by not putting any effort into your playing.

i must be a horrible crappy guitarist and put no effort in to my music. i play 90% or more power chords in songs i write. its just my style. power chords are a style and i think its dumb to say that someone who uses them cant be a good guitarist and doesnt put effort in to playing. thats stupid. imo

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1rh0pper
Granted not a very good place in acoustic based music...

i use power chords in acoustic songs i write.

taygull 04-28-2004 05:16 PM

OK so give me an example....

So a bar C is

A bar A is a

Would you consider these "Power Chords"?

aggie182 04-28-2004 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobain
that's why i started a site that only has tabs that dont use power chords.

www.angelfire.com/ill/powerchordssuck/index.html

leaving song pt 2 and all apologies are power chrods.......