The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Attached Are You To Your Guitar? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246289)

fitness1 03-31-2012 02:36 PM

The only place my Mcknight will ever go is back to Tim and Mary if there comes a day when I'm no longer able to play.

I guess that's pretty attached;)

Landru 03-31-2012 02:46 PM

Very attached to all of them.

I don't own "doubles," so each guitar serves a specific purpose and they all have to perform wonderfully.

bohemian 03-31-2012 04:45 PM

They come, they go. A couple I should not have sold, but there is another around the corner.

The only instrument I am attached to is my great grandfathers 2 1/2 row button accordeon made in 1880. He brought it to the US in 1883. He played for weddings, parties and home gatherings for 50 years. Yes , I play it.

Fliss 03-31-2012 04:46 PM

I'm very fond of my instruments, but they are just inanimate objects - albeit beautiful and individual - so there is a limit to that attachment.

The one I'm most attached to is my Brook, which I've had from new, around five and a half years now. It was my first high-end guitar and has proven to be a very fortunate choice - it's extremely comfortable to play, sounds great and is very versatile. If it were ever to be lost or stolen, I'd replace it with another Brook very much like it!

Fliss

opie 03-31-2012 05:01 PM

No attachment at all. I guess if I had one that was my fathers or something it would be different but it's just a guitar right now. Considering I'm not very good at playing them if I find one I like better that the wallet will handle I'd get it

usb_chord 03-31-2012 05:10 PM

I'm pretty dang attached to my Goodall TROM. I've turned down a few offers for more than I paid and didnt think twice about it. I'm adding a Ryan MGC in a couple months. Hopefully I'll become just as attached to it.

talister106 03-31-2012 05:56 PM

It`s been my obsevation that there are two basic types of guitar people. One who change guitars like sox and those who don`t. When I get together with the former It`s always about remember that guitar I had, boy I still which I had it. Some who are constantly trying to capture a sound only they can hear and buy and sell accordenly. I find a guitar and when it`s love at first sound that`s it. I do regret selling only two guitars in my youth mostly for econiomics, now I keep what I have pouring my soul into each one. The oldiest guitar I have is thirty one years old and I wouldn`t sell it for anything because of the history it imparts.

Fatstrat 03-31-2012 06:08 PM

Not really all that attached to any of mine. I like what I have now better than the vast majority of everything I've had in the 40+ years I've been playing. But there's nothing that couldn't be replaced. The one I've owned the longest is my 1977 vintage Yamaha Fg-340. Not really sure why I keep it. I haven't played it much in several years. But for many years it was my #1.

rwskaggs 03-31-2012 06:09 PM

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...8/IMG_0013.jpg

All of you make me feel disloyal. I bought this Martin D12-28 12 string in 1977 brand new from Manny's in New York. Played it over 30 years in churches, on the mission field, and for my sweeheart-now-wife. Last year she finally needed a neck reset (the guitar...not my wife), and Martin paid for the reset and a new bridge. I also had her refretted at my expense. Came back sounding like the proverbial choir of angels again.

She just sat here in her case in my climate controlled home office. See, I had finally discovered six string acoustics after playing 12s for over 40 years. I'm still fascinated by the different nuances you can pull from a variety of wood tops and different backs and sides since I got my first Larrivee L-body in 2010.

Knowing I'd never be able to pick up fingerstyle (not a pun...really) on a 12 string, I sold her last year to a good Ohio home where her fresh neck reset should keep her playing another 30+ years.

I've bought, sold and traded a number of guitars over the past couple of years and am constantly delighted by their similarities AND differences....and I'm learning a lot. Enjoying the music that lives in ME regardless of the tool of expression...

Loyalty and nostalgia says I should miss my first and best 12 string....but strangely I don't. There are more new experiences "out there". Right now I'm waiting on my first custom build....centered around the 'Tinman' theme in honor of my heart transplant.

Wonder what I can trade that one for?

....Play on!

Ed422 03-31-2012 06:51 PM

I really should say that none of my guitars are incredibly valuable... moneywise, but a couple are worth their weight in gold to me.

A ??? Harmony archtop tenor that my dad passed to me when I was 8 or so (1966). I tuned it to DGBE and played the uke chords and tunes my dad taught me. Yep... attached.

A 67 Guild Starfire III that I bought in 76. Beat to heck, literally thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of hours logged playing the thing. Yep... attached.

99 Larrivee parlor... another valueless yet invaluable music maker due to the memories associated pile of "wood and steel". Another yep, attached.

But... none have actually made the music (not that *I* have), but magical boxes in *my* mind at least.

Ed

WordMan 03-31-2012 07:27 PM

Since they represent the culmination of years of effort to find guitars that fit my needs best, yes they mean a lot to me. They are each truly great guitars and I appreciate being able to play them. If I came to believe that anothe guitar would meet my needs, though, I could part with one and not look back; I have done so before with some great ones. But I don't see that happening again any time soon...

PorchPicker 03-31-2012 07:46 PM

I get attached to things that serve me well, especially a good guitar. My Gibson Advanced Jumbo is my pride and joy. When I talk to the wife and kids about fire safety they know that the first thing to do during a fire is get daddy's guitar outside the house :D. so.......Before anybody without a sense of humor goes viral.......it's just a little joke that we chuckle about. It is obviously not the real fire drill

Thrillhouse 03-31-2012 08:39 PM

I don't get attached to instruments like that really. I really like my current acoustic but like most everything else it's always for sale for the right price.

pgilmor 03-31-2012 09:06 PM

If I were fleeing a burning building and somebody else needed help, I'd help them. If it were just me, I probably wouldn't come out without my Woolson.:D

that's probably saying a lot, because I really don't get attached to "things".

Kevin A 03-31-2012 09:13 PM

The classical guitar my wife bought for me on our first anniversary 28 years ago. I don't get to play I much anymore—and its not the finest nor the most expensive guitar I own—but it will never be sold by me at any price.:up: