The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   CA vs Rainsong (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58949)

makikogi 02-10-2005 10:52 PM

CA vs Rainsong

Sorry if this has been covered, I'm a total noob and I tried searching....I couldn't really find a specific thread comparing the two. I'm going to buy one or the other, and I would really like some help deciding which one to get...thanks for the help

harlon 02-10-2005 11:14 PM

Welcome to the forum! You'll get a lot of different views about these two guitars, but since you asked I'll tell you mine. I've tried them both and it was no comparison. The Rainsong, in my opinion, was much better. Played better, sounded better. The CA guitar I tried was the X standard, and the Rainsong I tried was a ws1000. Haven't tried any other models, but based on my short comparisons - the Rainsong won hands down. Of course - if you get a chance to play them both, that will be your best bet. But if your mail ordering obviously you don't have that option. In that case you're doing the right thing. Ask questions (this is a GREAT place to do that) and read a bunch of reviews. Let us know what you decide (and pictures are mandatory around here!)

morg21279 02-11-2005 10:02 AM

I've owned a CA Crown of Thorns and X model. For my playing tastes, I set the action a bit lower than factory settings on both, and they play great. The CA gives you more tonal options in the dreads (vintage or modern voicings) than the Rainsong, and I think they sound more "wood-like". That said, your ears should guide you to the one you like. The other thing that enters into the picture is neck size. Right now, CA is offering a 1 11/16" neck. Rainsong is 1 3/4. I play an 11/16 on a Collings and Buscarino, so the bottom line is that I liked the sound and feel of the CAs better. Once again, play both and see which one feels better to you. BTW, CA's customer service is great.

laughingskunk 02-11-2005 10:09 AM

I've had a chance to play both at Elderly's. Personally think both guitars are great. Based on looks alone I would pick the Rainsong, very beautiful guitars and a litle more eye candy, with the shark fret markers, etc. Soundwise, both Rainsong and CA shined. Clear tone, lots of sustain-the Rainsong was a little brighter. As many people say the CA tends to have a woodier tone if that makes sense. Ended up getting a CA Bluegrass Performer. Great price, very receptive friendly company(Rainsong seems that way as well)Love the fact that mine is all composite including fretboard. Sounds like a high end guitar with a wonderful well balanced sound. Never have to tune these things either. Rainsong has a little more choice in s-so depends on what u like. Patrick

makikogi 02-11-2005 12:30 PM

thanks everyone...yea I'll have an opportunity to play both...the two I'm deciding on are the CA legacy AE or the rainsong ws1000, I just sold my taylor 314 ce and I loved the neck size and action, what size (CA, Rainsong) is going to have similar neck size and action to my taylor....and also is the legacy AE all carbon fiber (including the fretboard) like rainsong? and the price difference is 500 bucks, is the rainsong going to be worth the extra 500 bucks?

astrummer 02-11-2005 02:19 PM

In case you can wait a few months Rainsong made an announcement about its newest "all graphite" product line at NAMM. It has a truss rod and is at a lower price point than their previous "all graphite" series( apparently due to improved manufacturing and materials ). Looks like Elderly has some on order.....

http://www.elderly.com/brand/RAINSONG.html

morg21279 02-11-2005 04:14 PM

What year was the Taylor? If I remember right, Taylor was 1 11/16 (CA size) until '98 or so, then 1 3/4 (Rainsong size). If you like the neck shape of either the CA or the Rainsong, and good guitar tech should be able to get the action set to your preferences.

astrummer 02-11-2005 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morg21279
, and good guitar tech should be able to get the action set to your preferences.

....one of the reasons I feel more "vulnerable" towards this upcoming generation of Rainsongs is that they have a truss rod. I know very little about guitar set up but wondered about both the CA's and Rainsong's "adjustability" without truss rods......

makikogi 02-11-2005 11:55 PM

I just talked to a local CA dealer...apparently CA will give you 2 different size saddles, so you can choose which action you like better...again guys thanks for all the great info.

GuitarDoc 05-24-2014 10:53 PM

I've always found rainsongs a little thin for my taste. Lacking base. Wrote to rainsong and they said don't buy our guitar then. Went to Washington Music center. Tried both took the GXi. I think the bigger un interrupted sound board with the hole near the neck lends itself to a basier sound.

jdinco 05-25-2014 08:07 AM

The CO-WS1000 has a truss rod.

Captain Jim 05-25-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarDoc (Post 3969409)
I've always found rainsongs a little thin for my taste. Lacking base. Wrote to rainsong and they said don't buy our guitar then. Went to Washington Music center. Tried both took the GXi. I think the bigger un interrupted sound board with the hole near the neck lends itself to a basier sound.

Your response was to a 9 year old thread. Strings and technique make a big difference in sound. I love the sound of my RainSong Shorty - rich, full, crisp. Good balance between bass and highs.

Different strokes.

Earl49 05-25-2014 12:46 PM

Since this is a nine year old post, and the old CA company no longer exists, most of the old comments seem irrelevant. The new CA brand is owned by Peavey.

We own a twelve year old WS-1000 by Rainsong, and a new CA Cargo (painted finish). Both great, but they do different things entirely.

tomana 05-25-2014 05:18 PM

From what I could gather online, RainSong makes the only all-graphite acoustic guitar in the world. All other competition uses carbon fiber (CF). Though both materials are based on the carbon atom, they are not the identical materials. The construction of the RainSong guitars I have on hand seem lighter weight, thinner tops (vibrates more) and sounds leagues better when plugged in, than the competition guitars I used to have but recently sold

My current stable of N1 neck (no truss rod) RainSong guitars are:

2000 WS1000 (made in Hawaii)
2010 WS1000 (made in WA)
2011 WS3000 (made in WA)

I tune one whole note lower than standard and have had no fret buzz issues whatsoever. Never tried a CA so I can't comment about them from experience

slewis 05-25-2014 06:37 PM

Although I have a whole lot of respect for the Rainsong brand, I had bad experiences with two consecutive Rainsongs, but all was resolved to my satisfaction. Since then, I found, bought and waited two months for a 2012 CA GX which I am thoroughly and completely happy with. We'll all have our preferences based on our own eyes and ears and fingers, but both companies make outstanding products, IMO.