The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Eastman ERO (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602609)

MCP850 12-31-2020 01:35 PM

Eastman ERO

Eastman El Ray O. Have any of you had or have an ERO? I think they look very cool, My guitars keep gitting smaller, my last purchase was an emerald x7 thought it's a 00 its 4 1/4 at the end pin and I would like to try something thinner (shoulder issues) Any thoughts or info about this guitar would be apreciated, Thanks Mitch

Pura Vida 01-01-2021 01:09 PM

I had to google "ERO" to determine that it's an El Ray 0. I don't own one, but know a couple of people on EGF that have owned other El Ray models and loved them.

Livingston 01-09-2021 09:23 AM

Eastman is doing such a great job of merchandising a range of classic as well as contemporary/innovative designed guitars. The El Rey line certainly falls under innovative, in my opinion.

I've played their ER-1 and ER-2 guitars but never an ERO. I found an example of the ERO on YouTube. Looks like it would certainly be a lightweight, acoustic archtop option.

I'd love to hear that guitar with a sound hole humbucker pickup like a Fishman Rare Earth. I'll be that guitar sounds lovely amplified.

Like you, wish I could get my hands on one.

Steve DeRosa 01-09-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livingston (Post 6599586)
...I'd love to hear that guitar with a sound hole humbucker pickup like a Fishman Rare Earth. I'll bet that guitar sounds lovely amplified...

I don't care much for the acoustic sound - creamy-sweet upper register, but unbalanced fizzy lows to my ears - but you're 100% right about the amplified tone:

Livingston 01-09-2021 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa (Post 6599752)
I don't care much for the acoustic sound - creamy-sweet upper register, but unbalanced fizzy lows to my ears - but you're 100% right about the amplified tone:

Thank you Steve...that guitar (especially in the hands of Tim Lerch) sounds wonderful. Big fan of the tone of the Charlie Christian style single coil pickups.

One side note...the attachment method in this case is a little like finger nails on a chalk board for me. I know historically, the CC style p/u mounts to the top similar to Tim's ERO (e.g. Barney Kessel's custom ES350) but on such a beautiful guitar as the ERO...I wish TK Smith would have devised a less invasive pickup mount. :)

My guess is that a sound hole mounted humbucker would sound even warmer and dare I say, more "acoustic".

MCP850 01-09-2021 02:17 PM

I have to agree about the PU attached to the top, I think some are attached to the fretborad, I've seen them with a factory PU not in the sound hole. Very cool looking little insturment.

jimmy bookout 01-14-2021 11:45 PM

I can't find the ER0 anywhere on the Eastman website....

Steve DeRosa 01-15-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy bookout (Post 6604930)
I can't find the ER0 anywhere on the Eastman website....

It was discontinued as a production item a couple years ago - it may still be available through the Custom Shop...