The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Custom Shop (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   MichiMuse (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545647)

JJI 04-30-2019 11:56 PM

MichiMuse

6 Attachment(s)
On June 8th in Lafayette California, I have my first gallery show opening in years. The subject(s) are the works of Michihiro Matsuda and the show is called MichiMuse.
For roughly two years Michi Matsuda brought every finished piece of his to my home for me to photograph. Did I play them before the shoots?..absolutely! Sublime.
Michi asked me, prior to our shooting in a studio setting, to visit his shop and take some pictures. It was after that first visit that he decided that the way I saw his work was unique, and that the way I shot his work was special. I was honored and humbled.
Two and a half years later, MichiMuse will open on June 8th. To my knowledge it’s the first fine art show featuring luthier built guitars. (Could be wrong...)
Admission is free, and opening night will also feature three performances. Hideo Date is a Bay Area based jazz player, Stevie Coyle is a prolific fingerstyler, and our own Jay Howlett (BBWW) is a wonderful singer songwriter. All three will perform with a Matsuda in their arms.
If you’re around, please come out! Opening night will be cool, and the show will hang for about three weeks.
Attachment 22090Attachment 22091Attachment 22093Attachment 22094Attachment 22095

SiliconValleySJ 05-01-2019 12:33 AM

Very cool. Hope I can make it!

Carmel Cedar 05-01-2019 04:29 AM

Super cool, Josh. Think you might publish a book of your photos?

David Wren 05-01-2019 07:26 AM

What incredible photos ... and what better subject than Michi's work! I really wish I was close enough to attend!

RGPGuitars 05-01-2019 08:08 AM

Beautiful. The Group of Seven Guitar Project now on tour, but started at the McMichael Gallery in Kleinburg Ontario. Dave Wren was one of the 7 luthiers who built guitars for the 7 artists. Dave didn't mention it, so I will.

Baker Rorick 05-01-2019 08:41 AM

Beautiful! Congratulations, Josh and Michi! Yes, there have been a few recent luthier-built-guitars-as-art gallery shows and exhibits in past couple years, including The Group of Seven Guitar Project, Jamie Gale's Boutique Guitar Showcase presentation at Art Basel Miami last December, and seven new-directions builders (including Michi Matsuda) at Tokyo Art Fair just a couple months ago. To the best of my knowledge, though, this is the first solo show of its kind, so kudos!!! Encouraging trend, hopefully more to come. Bring it to NYC after?

JJI 05-01-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExpoTom (Post 6051046)
Very cool. Hope I can make it!

Me too!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar (Post 6051092)
Super cool, Josh. Think you might publish a book of your photos?

Yes! This first show is, hopefully, a building block to more.
Quote:

Originally Posted by David Wren (Post 6051205)
What incredible photos ... and what better subject than Michi's work! I really wish I was close enough to attend!

Thank you David! I wish you were too.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGPGuitars (Post 6051252)
Beautiful. The Group of Seven Guitar Project now on tour, but started at the McMichael Gallery in Kleinburg Ontario. Dave Wren was one of the 7 luthiers who built guitars for the 7 artists. Dave didn't mention it, so I will.

Yes! Goodness yes.

Deft Tungsman 05-01-2019 08:59 AM

What a fantastic event, Josh! I'm sure it will be deeply rewarding for all in attendance, especially you. Fantastic interpretations of Michi's work, bravo!

El Conquistador 05-01-2019 09:57 AM

I must be stupid. Where in Lafaette is the event being held?

Steve

JJI 05-01-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baker Rorick (Post 6051293)
Beautiful! Congratulations, Josh and Michi! Yes, there have been a few recent luthier-built-guitars-as-art gallery shows and exhibits in past couple years, including The Group of Seven Guitar Project, Jamie Gale's Boutique Guitar Showcase presentation at Art Basel Miami last December, and seven new-directions builders (including Michi Matsuda) at Tokyo Art Fair just a couple months ago. To the best of my knowledge, though, this is the first solo show of its kind, so kudos!!! Encouraging trend, hopefully more to come. Bring it to NYC after?

Hey Baker!
Good to hear from you and thank you! I’d forgotten about he Tokyo show (Michi was there!). It is an encouraging trend. Trying to do my part.
Dude, yes! Let’s talk soon, eh?

JJI 05-01-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman (Post 6051312)
What a fantastic event, Josh! I'm sure it will be deeply rewarding for all in attendance, especially you. Fantastic interpretations of Michi's work, bravo!

Thank you! I’m loving your current thread.

JJI 05-01-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Conquistador (Post 6051358)
I must be stupid. Where in Lafaette is the event being held?

Steve

Ha! Here ya go.

“The Bank”
3525 Mt. Diablo Blvd. Lafayette, CA
OPEN THRU JUNE 2019

It’s a stunning space, and located as the cornerstone of downtown Lafayette.

Kerbie 05-06-2019 03:08 PM

Hey folks, here's the announcement for Josh's gallery showing. He has become our newest sponsor today! So, Josh... thank you for your support and I hope a lot of us will enjoy your photography skills. Guys, if you can, come to his showing. :)

jaymarsch 05-06-2019 04:08 PM

Very cool, Josh, and thanks for becoming a sponsor! I am in NorCal so will do my best to join the fun in the East Bay. I love Michi's guitars.

Best,
Jayne

J.R. Rogers 05-06-2019 05:13 PM

Josh, your photography really blesses those guitars with a special touch. Incredible work, my friend. June 8th sounds like a great time with some great artists. Have a listen to Jay Howlett's music here:
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7fhgJxWwJEYfkIHLKCexIC

JR