The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Weird recording problem (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625863)

Sage97 09-12-2021 06:15 PM

Weird recording problem

For some reason, I can't seem to get my Apogee Duet to record any of my 4 SDCs, a pair of Gefell M300s and a pair of Studio Projects C4. I don't have any problems with my LDC (Rode NTK) and it works on either of the Apogee input cables.

I've switched mic cables and even got a new one and they all work with the LDC, just not the SDCs. It doesn't appear to be an interface problem since the LDC works perfectly. I've already exited out of Garageband, turned the iMac off and back on etc.

Do mics ever give out without any physical trauma? But all 4 of them? Maybe it's a sign that I need to pick up another hobby.

Yamaha Man 09-12-2021 06:27 PM

is the phantom power on ?

jim1960 09-12-2021 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 6807934)
For some reason, I can't seem to get my Apogee Duet to record any of my 4 SDCs, a pair of Gefell M300s and a pair of Studio Projects C4. I don't have any problems with my LDC (Rode NTK) and it works on either of the Apogee input cables.

I've switched mic cables and even got a new one and they all work with the LDC, just not the SDCs. It doesn't appear to be an interface problem since the LDC works perfectly. I've already exited out of Garageband, turned the iMac off and back on etc.

Do mics ever give out without any physical trauma? But all 4 of them? Maybe it's a sign that I need to pick up another hobby.

Try this... get the Rode working. Then just swap mics without turning anything on or off (just lower the volume to avoid any popping). Don't change cables, don't change where you're plugging it in. Just pull the Rode from the end of the cable and connect one of the other mics.

runamuck 09-12-2021 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim1960 (Post 6808017)
Try this... get the Rode working. Then just swap mics without turning anything on or off (just lower the volume to avoid any popping). Don't change cables, don't change where you're plugging it in. Just pull the Rode from the end of the cable and connect one of the other mics.

Excellent advice.

rick-slo 09-13-2021 12:15 AM

The Rode NTK has it's own power supply unit. As mentioned phantom power probably off thus the other mikes are not powered up.

jim1960 09-13-2021 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 6808101)
The Rode NTK has it's own power supply unit. As mentioned phantom power probably off thus the other mikes are not powered up.

Ahhh... great observation. That's very likely the issue. Never having owned one, I didn't know that about the Rode.

Yamaha Man 09-13-2021 05:41 AM

ya I've had the same problem myself, resolved by simply turning on the phantom power switch.

Sage97 09-13-2021 06:59 AM

Dang, how did I not check phantom power? Will check when I get home later today. Thank you everyone.

Sage97 09-13-2021 05:25 PM

Well, I almost gave up when I turned on phantom power but still nothing. I don't exactly know what I did but after messing around with Garageband a little longer, the whole thing turned back on. Whew! Maybe there's a ghost (phantom?) in my machine?

Thank you very much gentlemen for all your help.

Rudy4 09-13-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 6808713)
Well, I almost gave up when I turned on phantom power but still nothing. I don't exactly know what I did but after messing around with Garageband a little longer, the whole thing turned back on. Whew! Maybe there's a ghost (phantom?) in my machine?

It usually takes up to several seconds before mics stabilize under phantom power and a bit more time for some DAWs to get the message that there's an active input signal.

Sage97 09-13-2021 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy4 (Post 6808760)
It usually takes up to several seconds before mics stabilize under phantom power and a bit more time for some DAWs to get the message that there's an active input signal.

Makes sense. Thank you.

KevWind 09-14-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage97 (Post 6808713)

Yes gremlins haunt the digital ether and pop in and out of the situation rather capriciously

Sage97 09-15-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6809067)
Yes gremlins haunt the digital ether and pop in and out of the situation rather capriciously

What can’t they make me sound like James Taylor?