The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Banana boat song ( Day-O) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537495)

Fast Jimmy 02-09-2019 11:03 AM

Banana boat song ( Day-O)

Looking for some help to develop a strumming pattern to the Harry Belafonte version of this song. I've searched the internet but can't find anything that seems to accurately represent what's going on, that can be played on solo guitar and I don't have the skill to figure it out on my own. Any help?
Thanks, Fast Jimmy

Paddy1951 02-09-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy (Post 5974562)
Looking for some help to develop a strumming pattern to the Harry Belafonte version of this song. I've searched the internet but can't find anything that seems to accurately represent what's going on, that can be played on solo guitar and I don't have the skill to figure it out on my own. Any help?

Thanks, Fast Jimmy

Hey Fast Jimmy...
A suggestion. I play and teach the Irish drum. The bodhran (bow- rawn) It is a vertically played drum and you could say that it is kind of strummed. (Playing the drum helps me a great deal with developing strumming patterns on guitar.)

So, here is my suggestion for your song.
Think of the word WATERMELON. Now, think of it's syllables. Wa-ter-mel-on. Start with a down strum, then an up-down pattern, per syllable. Accent the first (down) strum. Use this as your basic pattern. Add aditional ad lib strumming as you see fit.

This might seem a bit goofy but it really does work. Good luck with it

Fast Jimmy 02-13-2019 08:27 PM

Paddy

Thanks for your response, I'll give it a try. The big problem is: I ain't got rhythm.
FJ

Paddy1951 02-13-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy (Post 5979082)
Thanks for your response, I'll give it a try. The big problem is: I ain't got rhythm.

FJ

OK, I do run into students that have difficulties rhythm wise. Another suggestion.

This will sound strange but it works for some people. Listen to the tune on a portable device/headphones and.... march to it. I am not talking about precision military style marching. Just a gentle walking pace that follows the tempo of the song. By concentrating on getting your body in sync with the music, your brain will start to hardwire the rhythm.
I have had numerous students do this and it really helps. You might be reluctant to try this, feel foolish about trying it, but it does work.

Just so you know... There are many good melody players, of various stripes, that I have played with- guitar players, fiddlers, flute players, etc. Really good technique on their instruments, but many can't keep time.
For some players, rhythm has to be developed. It is not automatic. The good news is that it CAN be developed. A metronome works for some, but not for all. This is why I have come up with other ways.

Good luck.

Fast Jimmy 02-21-2019 07:49 PM

Banana

Thanks for your second reply, I'll give it a try when no one else is home.
Jim