The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   I've Just Seen a Face by Lennon & McCartney (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572164)

Glennwillow 02-13-2020 07:40 PM

I've Just Seen a Face by Lennon & McCartney (cover)

Those familiar with the Beatles will recognize this song from the 'Rubber Soul" album as released in the USA by Capital Records in 1965. It was also released as a single. In the UK this song showed up on the UK release of the "Help!" album.

I used to play this song when I was in high school and always appreciated the sound of the acoustic 12-string in the Beatles' recording. I used my Guild model F512 12-string for this song.

The intro to this song is played with two guitars, one panned left, one right, played at about one half tempo. Once the song starts, the tempo is at 200 bpm, so it's full of energy!

My wife took the background photo with her cell phone from the bridge near our home a couple of days ago when we were on a walk. It's still winter time, of course, so no leaves on the deciduous trees, but the sun was out that day. :)

Thanks for watching!

- Glenn

Kerbie 02-13-2020 07:44 PM

One of my favorites... cute little song! Very nice tune... I always liked it. Great job. :)

Glennwillow 02-13-2020 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 6291889)
One of my favorites... cute little song! Very nice tune... I always liked it. Great job. :)

Thank you Kerbie!

I'm glad you got to hear it! It is a cute song, so happy! And high energy for an acoustic song. It was fun to record this!

Thanks so much for watching and for your comments! :)

- Glenn

Kerbie 02-13-2020 07:53 PM

One of those that just makes me smile every time I hear it!

Glennwillow 02-13-2020 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 6291898)
One of those that just makes me smile every time I hear it!

Yes, it made me smile, too! Thanks Kerbie!

- Glenn

Gitfiddlemann 02-13-2020 08:37 PM

Great tune and very nice job with it Glenn.
I really admire the way you cover these songs. True to the original, but with your own signature.
That Guild of yours is a nice sounding guitar. I seem to recall you used on S&G’s “Emily...” a while ago too to great effect.
Enjoyed it a lot! :)

Glennwillow 02-13-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreF (Post 6291936)
Great tune and very nice job with it Glenn.
I really admire the way you cover these songs. True to the original, but with your own signature.
That Guild of yours is a nice sounding guitar. I seem to recall you used on S&G’s “Emily...” a while ago too to great effect.
Enjoyed it a lot! :)

Hi Andre!

Thanks so much for watching and for your comments! I'm really glad you appreciated this song! I had fun with it!

I do agree regarding that Guild F512 12-string! I really love this guitar! I did use it on Simon and Garfunkel's "For Emily." It's the best 12-string I have ever owned or played!

I really appreciate your taking time for this song and for your comments Andre! I hope all is well for you! :)

- Glenn

islandguitar 02-13-2020 10:30 PM

Ok....head's bobbin', I'm smilin'.....you got me!!! LOL!:)
Lots of fun and memories all rolled into one! And....how bout those high harmony notes? Wow.....really "up there" Glenn.
All in a great package of a fun and memorable tune from way back when.
Thanks!!
All my best,
Fred

Glennwillow 02-14-2020 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 6292018)
Ok....head's bobbin', I'm smilin'.....you got me!!! LOL!:)
Lots of fun and memories all rolled into one! And....how bout those high harmony notes? Wow.....really "up there" Glenn.
All in a great package of a fun and memorable tune from way back when.
Thanks!!
All my best,
Fred

Thank you Fred!

What nice comments! Thank you so much!

That song does bring back memories! We were both so young when that song came out; I was 17! And I certainly remember playing this song a year later when I got my first 12-string, a Harmony, which I had for years until I could afford my first Guild.

Yes, the harmonies were pretty high, but I was warmed up. They just kind of fell into place because I knew the song so well. It's not like hearing Paul McCartney, but .... I don't have access to him! :D His great vocal range had so much to do with the great Beatles' harmonies!

Thank you Fred for listening and taking the time to post such supportive comments! I appreciate it greatly! :)

- Glenn

rockabilly69 02-14-2020 01:36 AM

Well I love the Beatles so thanks for doing that one Glenn, I hope you didn't hurt any man parts going for that high harmony:) All kidding aside, great job on one of my favorites and it sounded very full with your 12 string. I just got done reading a book about George Martin's contributions to the Beatles and so it was perfect timing that you posted that one!

started with 1 02-14-2020 07:24 AM

Great one Glenn. Love the 12 string sound.

Glennwillow 02-14-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockabilly69 (Post 6292056)
Well I love the Beatles so thanks for doing that one Glenn, I hope you didn't hurt any man parts going for that high harmony:) All kidding aside, great job on one of my favorites and it sounded very full with your 12 string. I just got done reading a book about George Martin's contributions to the Beatles and so it was perfect timing that you posted that one!

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for your comments! I'm sure glad you thought this came out okay! Yes, the harmony parts were way up there at the top of my vocal range for sure! No damage done as far as I know!

I was very pleased with the sound of the 12-string in the song, too! To me, that is a great sound!

A really interesting book on recording the Beatles was "Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of the Beatles" by Geoff Emerick. I found that really interesting. George Martin was the producer on these recordings and Emerick was most often the lead recording engineer.

Hope you are well over your cold, Daniel and that all is going well!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 02-14-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by started with 1 (Post 6292141)
Great one Glenn. Love the 12 string sound.

Hi Started!

Thank you very much! I love that 12-string sound, too, so I'm very glad it works for you, too! Thanks so much for listening and taking the time to comment!

- Glenn

Lkristians 02-14-2020 09:55 AM

Great job, Glenn. You know how I feel about your Guild 12!!
Best,
LarryK.

Glennwillow 02-14-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkristians (Post 6292287)
Great job, Glenn. You know how I feel about your Guild 12!!
Best,
LarryK.

Hi Larry!

I'm glad you like this and the sound of that 12-string! Thanks so much for watching and taking time to comment! It's greatly appreciated!

I hope all is well for you! :)

- Glenn