The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   OK - get ready to laugh at the old man..... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540408)

fitness1 03-08-2019 06:50 PM

OK - get ready to laugh at the old man.....

I'm such a tech idiot - it's hard to believe sometimes when it comes to computers. Because of that, I've conciously stayed away from any recording which involves them.

For probably 15 years now I've been using a Tascam DP-01FX - recording the tunes on it - recording to a CD on an outboard Sony CD recorder, then loading that into the computer (yes, I know - too many steps!)

I just recently realized that my Alto 802 live mixer has a USB output. My experience with a Lexicon Omega interface with Steinberg Cubase about 10 years ago still has me very scared of trying to go this route - I spent a whole weekend with the 500 page manual and the best I could do was get a recording sounding like I was underwater. It was sent back and the Tascam came back out quickly.

So, my question is - what is the EASIEST software to use given the fact that I normally never run more than 4-5 tracks. I almost always do the main guitar part and vocals in one track, then ad a couple harmony parts and a guitar solo or two. Nothing too fancy at all. Have no interest in programming drum parts or anything like that. My Alto has all the effects I need onboard too.

So, what do the experts have for tech dummies like me?;) Simple quality sound is the goal - driving me insane is not.

DCCougar 03-08-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6001138)
....My experience with a Lexicon Omega interface with Steinberg Cubase about 10 years ago still has me very scared of trying to go this route... So, what do the experts have for tech dummies like me?;) Simple quality sound is the goal - driving me insane is not.

No expert here, but I use cubase elements. :D Yeah, a bit of a learning curve, but once you get going with it, it's pretty straightforward. Of course, I'm probably only using 10% of its capabilities. I run through a scarlett usb interface. Best of luck! Multitracking is a kick!

runamuck 03-09-2019 12:16 AM

No matter what software you use, you'll need to be willing to commit at least 4-8 hours of reading and experimenting. Are you willing?

fitness1 03-09-2019 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runamuck (Post 6001349)
No matter what software you use, you'll need to be willing to commit at least 4-8 hours of reading and experimenting. Are you willing?

That may be the response I needed to hear. I've got enough things that are 'hard' in my life right now. Maybe I better stick to my current mode. After all, this music thing SHOULD be fun, right?;)

mondoslug 03-09-2019 06:15 AM

Donning asbestos suit...Pro Tools.

The key with any of it is to have good friends who use the stuff for free tech support a phone call away. :)

KevWind 03-09-2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6001138)
I'm such a tech idiot - it's hard to believe sometimes when it comes to computers. Because of that, I've conciously stayed away from any recording which involves them.

For probably 15 years now I've been using a Tascam DP-01FX - recording the tunes on it - recording to a CD on an outboard Sony CD recorder, then loading that into the computer (yes, I know - too many steps!)

I just recently realized that my Alto 802 live mixer has a USB output. My experience with a Lexicon Omega interface with Steinberg Cubase about 10 years ago still has me very scared of trying to go this route - I spent a whole weekend with the 500 page manual and the best I could do was get a recording sounding like I was underwater. It was sent back and the Tascam came back out quickly.

So, my question is - what is the EASIEST software to use given the fact that I normally never run more than 4-5 tracks. I almost always do the main guitar part and vocals in one track, then ad a couple harmony parts and a guitar solo or two. Nothing too fancy at all. Have no interest in programming drum parts or anything like that. My Alto has all the effects I need onboard too.

So, what do the experts have for tech dummies like me?;) Simple quality sound is the goal - driving me insane is not.

To clarify the reason you are loading it into the computer is only for digital distribution ability i.e like uploading to SoundCloud etc. correct ?
So if your SoundCloud track (which sounds pretty good for a home recording ) is an example of your current method what or why exactly are looking to possibly go a different route ??
In other words what are you ultimate goals for what you are currently doing or may want to do? Because the answer to that may be more important than if there is a simple software or not .

As has been mentioned most current DAW softwares have a definite learning curve attached...
However most of the more popular DAW's are also pretty amazing tools for recording, but should be approached as a long term learning situation .. BUT the good news is most of the more popular ones have lots of tutorial videos up on YouTube (which did not exist 10 years ago ) and can some time get up and running fairly quickly .

So the answer to what are your realistic current and long term goals for recording. May help in deciding to go that route over what you are currently doing

Because IMO nothing of real value in life is "easy" So if you are looking for simple, easy and expedient (nothing wrong with that BTW) then the question is why change ?
If however you approach it like any other hobby ( say for example much like learning to play the guitar) as something you are willing to spend some learning and realize that you are not going to be "performance ready " in a week or two ... Then it can can enjoyable even when the result is not where you want to ultimately be.

fitness1 03-09-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6001584)
To clarify the reason you are loading it into the computer is only for digital distribution ability i.e like uploading to SoundCloud etc. correct ?
So if your SoundCloud track (which sounds pretty good for a home recording ) is an example of your current method what or why exactly are looking to possibly go a different route ??
In other words what are you ultimate goals for what you are currently doing or may want to do? .

Yes - putting it on CD to load it onto a hosting site on the internet.

And, the reason I'd want to change is because my Sony outboard CD player only uses CDR audio discs which are much more expensive. Also, there will be a day when the Tascam and the Sony run out of gas.

Chipotle 03-09-2019 12:34 PM

Just doing the basics isn't that much harder on a DAW than the Tascam. Create a track, hit record, play music. Adjust track levels at the end, save to digital file. All that stuff in something like ProTools may seem intimidating, but to do what you do with the Tascam, you can ignore 99% of it at the start.

Adding effects like reverb or some eq and simple editing of an alternate take is the next step but, again, not all that difficult.

Once you've got that, you probably have pretty much everything the Tascam can do... but now you're not limited. You can, at your leisure, learn how to better edit your tracks, add more and better effects, master, add virtual instruments... or not.

In short, don't let the complexity of DAW software scare you off. You can accomplish what you want to do without having to worry about all the advanced stuff. And investing a little time now may actually save you a bunch of time in the end (how long does it take you to transfer/burn CDs/rip onto the computer?).

fitness1 03-09-2019 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipotle (Post 6001791)
(how long does it take you to transfer/burn CDs/rip onto the computer?).

I can normally do a tune start to finish in around an hour or so.....with harmony vocals and additional guitar parts (those take me the longest). The transfer part is pretty quick - just "real time" for the length of the track to the CD player, and then a few seconds to upload to the hard drive.

fitness1 03-09-2019 12:57 PM

What about this one?

http://www.freesoundrecorder.net/

TBman 03-09-2019 02:12 PM

Try Audacity.

Chipotle 03-09-2019 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6001822)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBman
Try Audacity.

TBH, I'd go for Reaper first. I started with Audacity, and it fits the bill for simplicity. But if you are going from scratch, basic Reaper functionality isn't any more difficult to learn than Audacity, and Reaper has many, many advantages, as well as way more capability down the road if desired.

Audacity is free, but Reaper has a free 60-day *full function* trial and is only $60 cheap if you decide to buy.

KevWind 03-09-2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6001629)
Yes - putting it on CD to load it onto a hosting site on the internet.

And, the reason I'd want to change is because my Sony outboard CD player only uses CDR audio discs which are much more expensive. Also, there will be a day when the Tascam and the Sony run out of gas.

In that case then I would consider a DAW solution
Do you prefer Mac or PC for computer ? I am guessing PC because if Mac I would guess you would be considering Garage Band

Things to consider

What are the specs of your current computer .. Speed , Ram , type of HD--- Disk or SSD

You will want an audio interface (probably USB) unit one with at least 2 mic inputs. For pretty good quality and low price the Focusrite Scarlett series is very popular

KevWind 03-09-2019 03:40 PM

Perhaps the best course of action is to first come up with a realistic budget

fitness1 03-09-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 6001988)
Perhaps the best course of action is to first come up with a realistic budget

Honestly, I'm not going to pay too much for software - and it appears you don't really have to do so to get the basics. I can afford whatever, but I can't really justify it, because, as noted above, my recording is VERY simplistic.