The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Meeting your musical idols (for good or bad) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541119)

BobbyMocha 03-15-2019 10:46 AM

Meeting your musical idols (for good or bad)

When I was much younger, in my early teens I think, my father took me to a concert to see his idol. He was past his prime, in his 70’s but still drew huge crowds and performed well. In his prime he was a singer, composer, piano player, lead a 30-piece band, acted in films a little and wrote hits for other. My father worshiped him and played his albums at home all the time. I grew up knowing well and liking this music, this staple from a past generation.

I don’t recall how we got back there but after the concert I followed my father to meet his idol. We were in a large room, like a banquet hall, where there was food and drinks and the musicians and crew and others were milling around smoking and unwinding. We found him sitting alone, smoking, looking tired and lost in thought. My father sheepishly said hello and that it was nice to finally meet him, was a fan and that he wanted him to know that his young son listened to all of the singer’s albums just like his father. The old man puffed his cigarette and in a gruff voice said “thank you,” and with a terse groan, got up and walked away.

I saw the look of embarrassment and disappointment on my fathers face. I never forgot it. It left an lasting impression on me that all these performers were nothing more than prima-donnas mired in there own self-importance. While I may come to admire their music, I never wanted to meet them - any of them.

Fast forward to a couple years ago.

I was on a trip to Nashville with my daughter and we were standing in line at a Qdoba restaurant on West End Ave near Music Row when I get a text from my daughter who was in front of me. The text said “don’t turn around, so-and-so is standing right behind you”. Assuming this was a joke, I swung around and found myself staring directly into the eyes of one of the biggest musical/singers of the last 10-15 years. Someone whose talent and musicianship I like and respect. She was with her kids and I think her publicist. She smiled and said hello and looked at the college name on my sweatshirt and asked if I went there. I said that I did and that my daughter had just graduated from there and that we were down here on a small celebratory trip. It was small talk that lasted about 30 seconds before we all had to move up in line and she turned back to her kids.

I was expecting a repeat of the day I met my father’s idol but it turned out to be anything but. She was nice, down to earth, well spoken and genuinely friendly. I didn’t ask for an autograph or a selfie. We all just went about our business and got our lunches. In half a minute my perception of marquee performers had changed once again, this time for the better.

So my question to you all is have any of you had a similar run-in with a performer/musician (good or bad) that changed your opinion of them or the music industry? (No names are needed)

frankmcr 03-15-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyMocha (Post 6007753)
<>We were in a large room, like a banquet hall, where there was food and drinks and the musicians and crew and others were milling around smoking and unwinding. We found him sitting alone, smoking, looking tired and lost in thought. <>

My thought is that that was not the time or the place to approach a 70 year old man who had just finished playing a concert.

BobbyMocha 03-15-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankmcr (Post 6007765)
My thought is that that was not the time or the place to approach a 70 year old man who had just finished playing a concert.

I have a vague recollection of it being a meet & greet of some kind but I agree, it probably wasn't best time.

Jeff Scott 03-15-2019 11:02 AM

I have many, many times, and for the most part, they were all, very down-to-earth folks. Well, one was from Mars, and another from Vulcan! :D Gotten to know some of them pretty well. Not just musicians, many were actors, or just pretty well known people.

s2y 03-15-2019 11:04 AM

I met Andy McKee at a show a few years ago. He was very gracious and enthusiastic. I also met Billy Sheehan at another show. Same deal.

I can't say I've dealt with any spoiled rock stars. Plenty of that on the local scene.

Steadfastly 03-15-2019 11:33 AM

There are lots of musicians I like but none I would use the term idol with. I hate that term as it's akin to worship and while some musicians have exceptional talent, none of them deserve that term. We are all good at something. Theirs just happens to be music.

Silurian 03-15-2019 11:34 AM

I've met Paul McCartney. He was as friendly and down to earth as he appears to be.

BobbyMocha 03-15-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steadfastly (Post 6007804)
There are lots of musicians I like but none I would use the term idol with. I hate that term as it's akin to worship and while some musicians have exceptional talent, none of them deserve that term. We are all good at something. Theirs just happens to be music.

I used it because that’s how my father saw him. It WAS worship. And it lead me to believe they were all to be seen this way. I was never taught what working musician were and what they did and how hard they worked at their craft.

Graybeard65 03-15-2019 11:42 AM

"...So my question to you all is have any of you had a similar run-in with a performer/musician (good or bad) that changed your opinion of them or the music industry? (No names are needed)"

I made my living in broadcast radio for more years than I care to admit, and met many, many artists - from new-comers to superstars, and lots in between.

There aren't enough kind words for the way that Alice Cooper treats his fans - he is charming, enigmatic, and takes time to make each feel appreciated and welcome.

Reba is another that always impressed me with her kindness and warmth - she couldn't have been nicer.

Brad Paisley walked up beside me while I was ogling his guitars backstage at a small county fair and chatted amiably about them, and offered to let me play one - he was pretty young at the time, but he was the same guy 15 years later - genuine and kind.

There are a couple of classic rock icons that made me regret giving away meet and greet packages - but I suppose that everyone has a bad day or two.

When I was a young, star-struck kid, Leonard Nimoy went out of his way to shake my hand, and asked me if I wanted an autograph when I was too awe-struck to speak the words to ask.

I always felt blessed to have had the opportunity to shake hands with the folks that made the magic

AcousticDreams 03-15-2019 11:52 AM

I use to work at a high end Stereo and Camera Store back in the 80's & the 90's, in Sherman Oaks California. Sherman Oaks is kind of a Second Beverly Hills. I met and helped Movie stars and musicians on a daily basis at that store.
The vast majority of the famous people I would help(through Stereo Sales) were very nice people.
With all due respect, we don't know what is going on in any individuals life at any given moment. You may have caught him at a time of great personal troubles. A time when he is exhausted from performing, and needed to be alone.
Eddie Van Halen was ever so kind and considerate each time he came into the store. A young kid down the street(whom I knew, as he was also a customer of the store) worked at a Liquor store that Eddie Frequented. One Day that young kid told Eddie how much he liked the guitar Eddie played. Eddie Replied " Oh Yeah...I will be right back" He came back quite soon(I forget the exact time- maybe 30 minutes later?) and Said " Here you go, it is yours" That is really something. I always enjoyed my interactions with Eddie.
Yet just a few months ago at an After NAMM dinner party, One of my friend' friend told a story about how he became so disillusioned with Eddie when he met him(as he was a guitar hero to him). It was at a time when Eddie was going through a divorce and was inebriated that particular evening. Eddie was belittling his Ex and others. This person found that extremely distasteful.
So I say, don't judge people on one incident. You just never know what is going on personally, in that someone's life. Yes, with fame comes responsibility to your fans. It is part of their job. It is one of the reasons why they get paid so much. But we are all human. Add to the mix extreme work hours and pressures from record labels. The result is there are always those days when anyone can fall apart and become angry or rude.... be you famous or not.

Chipotle 03-15-2019 11:58 AM

I was in college radio as well as playing in bands back in the day (early 80s-early 90s). Got to meet many, many artists.

They were just people.

Some were extremely nice. Some were jerks. Some might have been one of my closest friends had we lived near each other. Some were professional, and no more. All across the spectrum.

I had enough experience meeting famous people, some of whom I greatly admired musically, that I came to see them just as people who had to be taken on their own merits.

Mycroft 03-15-2019 12:11 PM

The hardest part of being famous is an expectation of being "on" all the time. I lived in South Lake Tahoe for 4 years. from 1978 to 1982. As such I saw or met a number famous people, in music, film, sports. One thing that always surprised me were the number of folks who thought it was perfectly acceptable to walk up to a table where someone famous was having dinner with friends and interrupt them to ask for an autograph. Which they would graciously give, then look around and notice me looking, to which I would merely nod my acknowledgement and go back to what I was doing. And sometimes they would stop at my table on the way out and say hello.

I got in an elevator at Harrah's once to be followed by Oakland Raider players Ted Hendricks, John Matusak, Howie Long and another player. When the overweight limit buzzer went off I looked up at Matusak (they were all "up" even though I am just under 6') and raised an eyebrow. He laughed and told they 4th guy "Hey Rook, you are going to have to wait on the next one."

I was assigned to ski guide a Playmate of the Year for the day at Kirkwood. She was a good skier.

Once, when in San Diego looking at Law Schools, we were at the bar at Croce's (yes, the other thread brought this story to mind) waiting on a streetside table so we could people watch, when someone bellied up to the bar next to us. I turned to him and exclaimed " Hey, you are Sydney Pollock. What are you doing here?" He answered "Well, I gotta be somewhere." Great answer. Turns out he was early for dinner with friends and rather than sit alone at a table, he thought that he would have a drink at the bar and see if there was anyone interesting to talk with. Instead he got me, but you pays your money and you takes your chances...

I got to go fishing with James Hetfield, from Metallica, once on Cook Inlet because the captain, a friend of mine, has a sister who was then dating the bassist from Machine Head and had given a recommendation for when Metallica played the Sullivan.

Another friend use to own one of the premier acoustic music stores here in Seattle, before he retired. All sorts of interesting people wandered in.

Generally famous people are just like the rest of us. They also have their down moments. The problem is that their down moments wind up being public, and can define them.

TW

seannx 03-15-2019 01:00 PM

My friends and I met the members of Pink Floyd after a concert at Williams College in 1971. They were really nice, and invited us to see their upcoming concert in Pittsburgh. Looking back, I wish we had gone.

Gordon Currie 03-15-2019 01:01 PM

In the late Eighties, my partner and I opened for Donovan. During our prior opening spots at that venue, our dressing room was a closet full of cleaning supplies.

When we showed up, we headed for the closet. At that moment, Donovan came out of the (single) dressing room, and invited us in. He was insistent that it was OUR dressing room too, and that the food and drink was also for us. While we were there, he asked if I wanted to jam on a song he wrote with George Harrison (uh, yeah!!!). During his set, he made sure the audience knew our name.

I grew up with his music on the radio. I was overjoyed that he really was the person 'on the poster' - humble, gracious, open and genuine. And secure with himself - even though he was playing a 250 seat club instead of a festival or arena.

I've had many more experiences that were somewhat negative. I realize that heroes are human, and so try not to take it personally (it almost never is).

AcousticDreams 03-15-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Currie (Post 6007914)
In the late Eighties, my partner and I opened for Donovan. During our prior opening spots at that venue, our dressing room was a closet full of cleaning supplies.

When we showed up, we headed for the closet. At that moment, Donovan came out of the (single) dressing room, and invited us in. He was insistent that it was OUR dressing room too, and that the food and drink was also for us. While we were there, he asked if I wanted to jam on a song he wrote with George Harrison (uh, yeah!!!). During his set, he made sure the audience knew our name.

I grew up with his music on the radio. I was overjoyed that he really was the person 'on the poster' - humble, gracious, open and genuine. And secure with himself - even though he was playing a 250 seat club instead of a festival or arena.

I've had many more experiences that were somewhat negative. I realize that heroes are human, and so try not to take it personally (it almost never is).

Love this story! Thanks for sharing.