The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Fingering for D chord to melody note back to D chord (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518033)

JohnnySmash 08-09-2018 04:24 AM

Fingering for D chord to melody note back to D chord

I have a passage in a number that is tricky for me. It calls for playing xx0232 (a D Chord) on one beat followed by xxxxx1 on next beat and then back to xx0232 on the next beat. The tempo is 100 bpm. The melody notes are 2 1 2 so I really need to play it as written. However, I am not sure which way to practice it until I get it up to speed.

I so far have just played xx0232, raised my fingers slightly and slid back my hand and played the 1st fret using my ring finger and then going back to xx0232 again. Is there a better fingering that would be faster.

I am willing to practice the movement over and over untill up to speed, however, I want to practice the correct fingering when I do.

stanron 08-09-2018 04:53 AM

Slide the whole shape down one fret, play the single note and then slide back. Move the hand rather than the individual fingers.

Suzidownunder 08-09-2018 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanron (Post 5804898)
Slide the whole shape down one fret, play the single note and then slide back. Move the hand rather than the individual fingers.

Yes totally. Best way and quickest
Sounds very nice - what is the tune?

JohnnySmash 08-09-2018 05:17 AM

Thanks for the tip.

Because He Lives, in D. One of my favorite gospel songs. I forget the name of the song but this situation poped up in another melody chord arrangement I was trying to play. Tricky if one does not know the trick. Thank you.

Suzidownunder 08-09-2018 05:37 AM

Thanks I might try song that myself
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySmash (Post 5804909)
Thanks for the tip.

Because He Lives, in D. One of my favorite gospel songs. I forget the name of the song but this situation poped up in another melody chord arrangement I was trying to play. Tricky if one does not know the trick. Thank you.

rick-slo 08-09-2018 07:54 AM

Or play D chord with fingers middle - pinky - ring and play the xxxxx1 with the ring index finger. Depends partly on the sound you want.

mattbn73 08-09-2018 10:16 AM

Top of my head, often harmonized with diminished.

XX0232
XX0101
XX0232

slide 1 and 2 down

Either way, even if it's just the single note, you want to simply slide the finger fretting the 1st string down and back, as mentioned by others above. There's no rule for always playing it with a different finger or certain fingers per fret etc. Even in classical, with large leaps of the fretboard, this same-finger/string approach is very common for easy movement.