The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Klos full carbon (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588602)

Nanosecond 08-03-2020 09:27 AM

Klos full carbon

Anyone following Klos? They have full carbon models that are supposed to ship any day now.

Aspiring 08-03-2020 11:04 AM

I have a klos travel hybrid that I added a soundport to. Would be interesting to see the differences in the new ones. Its a very fun robust guitar although it definitely has its own sound.

Nanosecond 08-03-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspiring (Post 6457352)
I have a klos travel hybrid that I added a soundport to. Would be interesting to see the differences in the new ones. Its a very fun robust guitar although it definitely has its own sound.

Would the wood in the hybrid prevent you from leaving in a hot car? I've got a full carbon Cargo that I leave in a car without worry. I'm a little hesitant about the wood neck on the hybrid Klos.

Aspiring 08-03-2020 11:58 AM

So far I haven't had any issues.

I leave it out beside my bed and it's the one I take and throw down below in my boat when we go out onto the water on a hot day.

They have their ads and videos showing them in snow etc.

Probably less risk with full carbon but I'll take the chances with this one now that I own it.

They also have blog posts from people backpacking, sailing around the world etc taking the instruments and not running into issues. I believe they are significantly over built from where they would need to be (given that they have demonstrated running one over with a Prius without it breaking)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanosecond (Post 6457358)
Would the wood in the hybrid prevent you from leaving in a hot car? I've got a full carbon Cargo that I leave in a car without worry. I'm a little hesitant about the wood neck on the hybrid Klos.

121 08-03-2020 01:22 PM

Just a small detail but there is still a small amount of wood used the Klos full carbon guitars.
It looks like the sound board bracing is spruce.
https://i.imgur.com/5KyTdfZ.jpg

Earl49 08-04-2020 03:59 PM

FWIW, I have been known to leave a CF guitar in a hot car for a few hours, but not permanently. Lots of people have done it and been OK. CF just buys me some margin for error. It's not so much the wood bracing or even a wood fret board. My worry is not the spruce bracing but the glue used to attach them, and the "let go" temperature at which the glue stops working. My Rainsong has ridden in the cold many times at -40°F in vehicles and small airplanes Alaska, sometimes all day. Cold is not the enemy.

Still I would like to try a Klos CF guitar someday.

jonfields45 08-04-2020 07:04 PM

At least here in PA, my RainSongs, Emeralds, and CAs all could handle a hot car in the sun.

G8rSrfrInMobile 09-06-2020 06:38 PM

My full-sized full carbon fiber KLOS was delivered on Thursday and has exceeded my most hopeful expectations. It plays relatively indiscernibly from the Martin HD-28 - must be similar set up with comparable action - with similar volume and perhaps even more sustain. So much energy. I'm intoxicated by the higher tones, while the lows are strong. I am enthralled. My friends with more skills are equally impressed.

jonfields45 09-07-2020 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanosecond (Post 6457358)

SPF lumber is used to frame attics...

The original Ovation Adamas were a thin bilayer top of CF using a birch veneer core and spruce bracing. As far as I know they hold up well.

Aspiring 09-07-2020 02:18 PM

Rereading the website it looks like the full size full carbon now has a detachable neck.

I'm curious what that looks like size wise for travel and sound wise.

G8rSrfrInMobile 09-19-2020 07:37 PM

Detached in the gig bag, it would be an easy carryon and could fit within a carryon or easily into a suitcase. I’ve had it for a couple weeks, and I’m astounded by the playability, brightness, strong bass, and volume of this beautiful guitar.