The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Update on my search for new guitar and another question (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552982)

bmoss02 07-25-2019 08:22 PM

Update on my search for new guitar and another question

Hi again!

So if you remember a while ago I posted a thread asking for help with finding a good budget guitar. I got quite a few responses and I am thankful for them all! So after doing lots of research online and playing lots of guitars I still haven't come to a final decision. so I decided to buy new and the guitars that are at the top of my list rn are, The Breeedlove pursuit concert ce, the Alvarez AGW 770cear, and the Orangewood Mason live.

I played quite a few Breedloves and loved the sound, feel, looks of them all, and it's in my price range. However, I am a little concerned about the Pinless bridge. I have heard that that could cause the bride to peel off easier.

The Alvarez is a beautiful guitar but the sound isn't the best (at least to my liking) it's a bit of a budget stretch, and I can't find any reviews or videos or anything on them anywhere. Not even Alvarez's website. It seems it was replaced with the AGW77.:confused:

And lastly the Orangewood looks awesome, has great reviews (I have never seen a negative review for it yet) is the cheapest, and I like the sound or at least what I would hear from several videos. But I'm a little skeptical about buying a guitar I've never played before online. But I do hear they have a good return policy...

So those are the top three guitars on my list. Still haven't made a final decision yet tho:hmm:

And lastly my final question...or at least I hope it's my last.

How much would the quality/sound of a guitar closer to the $1000 range be versus my $500 budget. In other words would it be worth it to save a few more dollars or would the difference be minimal, purely cosmetic, just a name on a headstock, more features...etc.?

Thanks again!

ManyMartinMan 07-25-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoss02 (Post 6121540)
...I played quite a few Breedloves and loved the sound, feel, looks of them all, and it's in my price range. However, I am a little concerned about the Pinless bridge. I have heard that that could cause the bride to peel off easier. ...

You have heard incorrectly. There have been no issues with the Breedlove pinless bridge.

CaptRedbeard 07-25-2019 08:56 PM

On the surface it seems that you haven't played enough guitars. Price point is always something to consider yet I've played a few $1000 instruments, mostly in over humidified acoustic rooms, and thought they sounded terrible. I have also play many many $500 guitars and thought they were wonderful. Yes, have a budget, but play play play. One day, in some store, you'll pick up a guitar, play a "G" chord.....and be sold.

jim1960 07-25-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

I played quite a few Breedloves and loved the sound, feel, looks of them all, and it's in my price range. However, I am a little concerned about the Pinless bridge. I have heard that that could cause the bride to peel off easier.

There's nothing wrong with a pinless bridge. Many guitar makers have been using them for a long time without issue ...that includes Lowden which are among the best guitars in the world.

guitarwebguy 07-25-2019 11:11 PM

+1 to CaptRedBeard, play a lot of guitars in your price range, you’ll know when you find the right guitar, don’t get sucked in by brands, friends, sales people, it has to connect with YOU! I’ll echo the previous comments re: painless bridges, the are great, and my 1998 Breedlove (which has one) is going strong! Perhaps what you’ve heard about are poorly reinforced tops and poorly installed bridges.

The Bard Rocks 07-26-2019 06:19 AM

t sounds like you have made a choice - the Breedloves. And have no reason to further consider the Alvarez.

As to your second questions, play a few $1000 instruments and see what you think. Are they enough better to warrant the extra money to you? In guitars, like so many other things, the rate of incremental changes decrease as you add price: ie - there's a bigger difference between $500 and $750 than there is between $750 and $1000. There's a sweet spot for everyone.

dhalbert 07-26-2019 06:27 AM

Re Alvarez AGW77 vs AGW770cear:

Alvarez makes a few models that are exclusive to Guitar Center. These models seem to always have three digits in the model number (e.g. AP610 was for GC only, vs AP66 and AP70). You won't find these models listed on the Alvarez website or sold new by other dealers. Based on the specs, the GC models appear to be slightly manufacturing-cost-reduced.

UncleJesse 07-26-2019 06:29 AM

Quote:

Hi again!

So if you remember a while ago I posted a thread asking for help with finding a good budget guitar. I got quite a few responses and I am thankful for them all! So after doing lots of research online and playing lots of guitars I still haven't come to a final decision. so I decided to buy new and the guitars that are at the top of my list rn are, The Breeedlove pursuit concert ce, the Alvarez AGW 770cear, and the Orangewood Mason live.

The Alvarez is a beautiful guitar but the sound isn't the best (at least to my liking) it's a bit of a budget stretch, and I can't find any reviews or videos or anything on them anywhere. Not even Alvarez's website. It seems it was replaced with the AGW77.:confused:

And lastly the Orangewood looks awesome, has great reviews (I have never seen a negative review for it yet) is the cheapest, and I like the sound or at least what I would hear from several videos. But I'm a little skeptical about buying a guitar I've never played before online. But I do hear they have a good return policy...

So those are the top three guitars on my list. Still haven't made a final decision yet tho:hmm:

And lastly my final question...or at least I hope it's my last.

How much would the quality/sound of a guitar closer to the $1000 range be versus my $500 budget. In other words would it be worth it to save a few more dollars or would the difference be minimal, purely cosmetic, just a name on a headstock, more features...etc.?

Thanks again!

For $1000 or less you could go with a killer Eastman E10 series. Either Dread or OM/000. IMO, a big step up compared to entry level Alvarez and Breedlove.

zombywoof 07-26-2019 07:52 AM

Any bridge glued to a guitar can lift or split. I own three guitars with pinless bridges. They were built between 1942 and 1962 and have not given me one moment of grief.

Best way to pick a guitar remains the same as it was before the internet. Pick the guitar you like the sound and feel of best within your price range.

Shadowfox 07-26-2019 01:16 PM

I think 1k to 1.5k really is worth the 'double' the price. You can move up in solid woods and get good pickups. I do think Eastman's and Blueridge are definitely worth a look.

You can also move to all solid Breedlove in that range: https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...coustic-guitar

Rosewood99 07-26-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan (Post 6121546)
You have heard incorrectly. There have been no issues with the Breedlove pinless bridge.

I've owned three Breedloves and none had any problems with having a pinless bridge.

Dreadfulnaught 07-26-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombywoof (Post 6121782)
Best way to pick a guitar remains the same as it was before the internet. Pick the guitar you like the sound and feel of best within your price range.

This is the best advice on here. Play a lot of guitars. The wand chooses the wizard.

vindibona1 07-26-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

...I still haven't come to a final decision. so I decided to buy new and the guitars that are at the top of my list rn are, The Breeedlove pursuit concert ce, the Alvarez AGW 770cear, and the Orangewood Mason live.

And lastly my final question...
How much would the quality/sound of a guitar closer to the $1000 range be versus my $500 budget.

It's always better to have a bigger budget and spend less than the other way around. A lot depends on the guitars you're looking at, and often the name brand. You never know when you'll stumble onto that gem that you HAVE to have.

In terms of NEW guitars in the $1000 price range, the one series that has impressed me is the Martin Road Series. They are made in Mexico and I've played several and they all sound terrific. In fact, I was at GC and had played some of the newer and MUCH more expensive Taylor guitars and of all the guitars I played I liked the Taylor 414ceSE the best, but very closely followed by the Martin Road series. The MRS does feel like the finish has the same finesse as other guitars, but there wasn't anything objectionable about it. The feel was good. But the sound was way above it's price point. My guess is you could probably negotiate a $1000 MRS for a 15% and get the price down for a motivated seller.