The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Archtops (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Emerald Kestrel (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547050)

mot 05-17-2019 06:56 AM

Emerald Kestrel

Anybody try one yet?

https://emeraldguitars.com/wp-conten...trel-QM-VA.jpg

Livingston 05-19-2019 09:07 AM

Interesting guitar! Emerald has a couple of nice sound clips of the Kestrel on their website. Very clean, crisp tone, acoustically as well as amplified.

I wonder how one would ever get the opportunity to play one before buying? They appear to be exclusively direct to consumer.

Earl49 05-19-2019 10:12 AM

Livingston, you won't find one in dealerships. Emerald only sells direct to consumer. However, they are good about their return policy if you buy from stock, the guitar comes back in like-new condition, and within the specified time frame. You would be out the original $55 shipping charge, plus whatever it costs you to mail it back to Ireland (~$90 the one time I did it. The guitar that I returned was awesome and perfectly built, but did not quite fit me, so I went custom).

Being a brand new model, it will be a while before you might get lucky enough to find an owner near you for a test drive. Most of us who own Emeralds are quite open to sharing. (I have five, but not a Kestrel). I suggest paying attention to the Carbon Fiber room, where there is a lot more traffic and discussion of Emeralds.

That is an awesome piece of quilted maple on that beautiful Kestrel.

MC5C 05-20-2019 08:59 AM

"That is an awesome piece of quilted maple on that beautiful Kestrel. "

Which begs two questions for me - is that a layer of veneer on a carbon fiber top, or is it carved solid wood? Is carved solid wood able to compete with carved spruce, redwood, etc, for a truly excellent acoustic guitar?

I've got a few guitars with exceptionally visually interesting back and side wood, but I only ever look at the front... So I wonder why?

s2y 05-20-2019 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MC5C (Post 6066274)

Which begs two questions for me - is that a layer of veneer on a carbon fiber top, or is it carved solid wood? Is carved solid wood able to compete with carved spruce, redwood, etc, for a truly excellent acoustic guitar?

I've got a few guitars with exceptionally visually interesting back and side wood, but I only ever look at the front... So I wonder why?

Very thin veneer.

raysachs 05-20-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

If it's like every other Emerald with a wood-looking top, it's a razor thin veneer on a carbon fiber top. And the back and sides are also carbon fiber, but without the veneer. The veneer is just there for aesthetic purposes - people with equivalent all carbon and carbon+veneer models seem to find no notable difference between the sound of the all-carbon tops and the carbon+veneer tops.

Bluemonk 05-21-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

"I've got a few guitars with exceptionally visually interesting back and side wood, but I only ever look at the front... So I wonder why?

Because not everybody only ever looks at the front?

tdq 05-23-2019 12:35 AM

I found this video which shows a bunch of the emerald guitars. The Kestrel comes on about 2 minutes in.

mot 06-05-2019 03:25 PM

I wonder how a Kestrel would look with a fan fret?

Backcountry 06-05-2019 05:18 PM

NGD

Here's mine that I just unboxed. Typical, flawless work by Emerald. Very fast-feeling neck. The one pleasant surprise was how thin the guitar body is. I guess I was expecting a body thickness more typical of my other wood archtops. This feels more like a semi-hollow. And of course, it's very light!

https://i.imgur.com/KpLiOKw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Isf4m05.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Jth6bMa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/alJXF48.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iy8T7Gm.jpg

David Eastwood 06-05-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backcountry (Post 6079478)
Here's mine that I just unboxed. Typical, flawless work by Emerald. Very fast-feeling neck. The one pleasant surprise was how thin the guitar body is. I guess I was expecting a body thickness more typical of my other wood archtops. This feels more like a semi-hollow. And of course, it's very light!

That's really rather lovely. I'd love to hear more after you've had a chance to play it for a while.

Mark L 06-05-2019 09:35 PM

Maybe I missed it, but is the Kestrel strung with acoustic strings? Looks like PB’s on there. 12’s?

Backcountry 06-06-2019 06:00 PM

Yes indeed. I guess they're 12s. I string all my acoustics with mediums and these feel pretty light in comparison.

I'll put on some flatwound Black Diamonds in a bit.

RobT 06-08-2019 05:31 PM

Backcountry, I'm interested in hearing your take on this guitar after you put some flats on it. I have seen a few of your posts and from what I have seen you have some traditional archtops. Your guitar looks great.

I have been a fan of Emerald for a while and I'm looking forward to your opinion regarding the tonal aspects of this guitar. I have played regular Emerald's and one of Alistair's custom guitars so I'm not concerned about the build quality. I also own a AT with a Krivos pickup.

Mark L 06-08-2019 06:48 PM

Thanks Backcountry. I wonder what a set of acoustic 13’s would do in terms of top response, since that’s what you’re used to. I play that gauge on dreadnoughts, and am fine both with a flat-pick and various methods of fingerstyle, from bare to thumbpick. I also have a really nice 900 series Eastman archtop strung with acoustic 13’s in nickel bronze, which I like.

Next question: how arched is that top? I’ve looked at available photos and have not het seen a good one showing the actual degree of arch, and the general contours. Not sure I personally would even be able to take such a set of photos if called upon, but if you get a notion and have opportunity, do you think you could snap a couple at an angle that shows the top? Thanks.

Fwiw, put me down as a real fan of what Emerald is putting out! I’ve grabbed “a couple” myself in the past year or so. Great stuff.

Backcountry 06-08-2019 10:52 PM

To my eye, the top is not very arched at all. Nowhere near my others.

Turns out the guitar body is about 3" deep but feels much thinner due to the ergonomic shape. The guitar hangs nicely when standing, with the fretboard at a slight angle upwards, maybe 10 degrees, so seeing the fretboard is really easy and natural.

It's a slight neck diver, not as much as my others, and with the built-in armrest it's very comfortable to hold and play.

It's very resonant and sounds great unplugged or through the Krivo pickup.

I got in touch with Jason (Krivo) as my B-string was way too loud and he suggested removing the B-string pole which I did and it fixed the problem.

Mark L 06-09-2019 02:03 PM

Thanks Backcountry.

I like the way the Kestrel sounds in the few clips I’ve heard, and being a fan of both emeralds and archtops, I naturally want to audition one.

Just, it looks to me almost like a slightly arched flat top with f holes and a harp tailpiece. I’ll bet the sustain is terrific, and probably much longer than many wooden archtops. And how about overtones?

mot 07-05-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark L (Post 6082426)
I like the way the Kestrel sounds in the few clips I’ve heard, and being a fan of both emeralds and archtops, I naturally want to audition one.

There is currently a red Kestrel in stock on the Emerald Website that I have been thinking about. Not sure how long it will be there. This will give you an opportunity to audition. I have no idea what the resale value would be as I haven't seen any second hand yet. Doubt you will lose that much if you don't like it though.

lat18 07-05-2019 09:05 PM

The black one

I bought the black one a few days ago. Hasn't arrived yet. I'll report when I've had a chance to play it a bit.

Mark L 07-05-2019 09:53 PM

Hey thanks mot. Just so happens it’s bad timing for me for (yet another) guitar purchase, if you know what I mean.....

That is a nice looking Emerald though!

mot 07-19-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark L (Post 6104264)
Just so happens it’s bad timing for me for (yet another) guitar purchase, if you know what I mean.....

Yep! Same here. Already have something else on order.

douglasfan1 12-17-2020 07:59 PM

It will be great if Emerald Kestrel can come with a solid headstock like X20...
I don't like slotted headstock

guitarwebguy 12-18-2020 12:08 AM

I would talk with Alistair (Emerald Guitars) as he is open to discussing customization aspects (I had them build a customized X20-12) such as a solid headstock

skateborg23 02-12-2024 03:01 PM

2019 Emerald Guitars Kestrel price?

Does anyone here recall the 2019 Emerald Guitars Kestrel standard black carbon fiber guitar price?

Cheers, Kevin

David Eastwood 02-13-2024 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skateborg23 (Post 7408393)
Does anyone here recall the 2019 Emerald Guitars Kestrel standard black carbon fiber guitar price?

Cheers, Kevin

My recollection is that they were around $3k when introduced - maybe a tad under.

SprintBob 02-15-2024 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdq (Post 6068522)
I found this video which shows a bunch of the emerald guitars. The Kestrel comes on about 2 minutes in.

The Kestrel’s tone reminded me of Pat Metheny’s Ibanez signature guitar. Cool video, what a great promo for Emerald.

tbeltrans 02-15-2024 05:18 PM

I purchased a Kestrel during the 25% sale and it has become my daily go to guitar except that for the past couple of weeks I have been SO busy that the poor thing is actually getting dusty! Even in retirement, life gets in the way.

Hmmmmmmm...Estoy muerto de cansancio!

Tony