The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Fender valve amp for home use (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515918)

AJ Ray 07-11-2018 07:15 AM

Fender valve amp for home use

Any opinions on a tender valve amp for home use which can achieve a slight overdrive if required. I've heard good things about the hot for deluxe but am open to other opinions.

KevWind 07-11-2018 07:39 AM

If ya want "tender" don't buy a Fender :D jusss teasin'

probably a couple would work (depending on allowable volume)

But you might also look into a Bassbreaker 007 ---7 watt
head or 1 X 10 combo

Steve DeRosa 07-11-2018 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ Ray (Post 5781026)
Any opinions on a tender valve amp for home use which can achieve a slight overdrive if required...

Bugera V22 Infinium - a lot more tender on your wallet than anything from the big "F" (well under $400 street if you shop around), more tone than anything this inexpensive has the right to have, enough grunt for a midsize hall but powers down to comfortable practice volume, and never needs a bias job (~$100 in my neck of the woods) if you need/want to swap tubes... :guitar:

Tahitijack 07-11-2018 08:13 AM

The Hot Rod Deluxe is a good choice and has been a top selling amp. There have been variations over the years, so if you decide it's for you, you'll need to test used and new to decide. I owned one and the only question I had was it was very loud for a stay at home amp. I eventually moved it out to make room for the Deluxe Reverb Reissue, which is what I'd recommend for you. BTW you might be surprised at the Mustang line of Fender amps. I have a Mustang III for home work. Hope this helps. Good luck.

anton 07-11-2018 09:26 AM

If its just for home maybe think about a lower wattage amp so you can get an overdriven sound at a lower volume. Either that or an amp with a good master volume. I have the Bassbreaker 007 and it is nice, i would recommend checking one out at a Guitar Center or somewhere.

The Blues Junior is also a big seller, it is 15w and has a master volume.

The Hot Rod Deluxe and Deluxe Reverb are nice, but I think they are a bit loud for only home use. When I played a DR anything beyond 2 on the dial seemed to loud for home. If you are open to getting your overdrive from a pedal then one of these bigger amps could be an option.

I find there is a difference in the sound, feel, and "weight" of the notes on smaller amps vs higher wattage amps. You will have to play a few and see how much that matters to you. Maybe its the larger speaker, cabinet size, and transformer on the bigger amps. You could get a head/cab setup, buy a lower wattage head, and nice cab with a 12" speaker. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

KY000 07-11-2018 09:37 AM

Hot Rod Deluxe IV is my home use amp. Love it. Be sure and get version IV.

muscmp 07-11-2018 12:02 PM

champ, princeton reverb and blues jr.

play music!

aknow 07-11-2018 12:23 PM

If you can't afford a blackface deluxe reverb, get a Bugera V-22. I don't know how serious you are about sound, the Bugera is excellent.

DukeX 07-11-2018 12:27 PM

I think the Fender Pro Jr would be a good choice.

Woodstock School Of Music 07-11-2018 01:20 PM

How about a Super Champ X2? Just use channel one and ignore the digital channel.

Bob Womack 07-11-2018 03:02 PM

'68 Custom Princeton Reverb and Tube Screamer.

It's the smallest full-featured classic Fender amp. Oh, and my review is HERE.

Bob

AJ Ray 07-11-2018 04:33 PM

Now i have to say that the isea of the princeton reverb and its low wattage soinds ideal to me. Im about to look further into this amp to see if it can be good a low volumes for house playing

Bob Womack 07-11-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ Ray (Post 5781567)
Now i have to say that the isea of the princeton reverb and its low wattage soinds ideal to me. Im about to look further into this amp to see if it can be good a low volumes for house playing

There are several versions. The two basic versions are the Reissue and the Custom. The Custom breaks up earlier and smoother and compresses easier. It also has a tone stack more reminiscent of a Bassman. You'll have to try them out and see which sound you like better. Have fun!

Bob

gwlee7 07-11-2018 05:11 PM

I have recently purchased a Princeton Reverb for home. I have been using it clean and then using pedals for the “dirt” since it doesn’t have master volume. I have a SPL 100 watt power soak on the way so I can try to overdrive it some without rattling the windows. I will report back on that. Tried a Blues Jr. and as good as it was, it was not “Fendery” enough. It’s a good amp but not really the Fender sound.

This is me messing around with my Strat, a looper, and some pedals. Volume is where you could sing along without amplification easily. Don’t mind the mistakes. Just listen to the amp.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xv...xZTe0t-3aPP2oL

AJ Ray 07-12-2018 05:05 AM

Sound at 330 and 530 are superb. What pedals are you using? Overall it sounds wonderful