The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   What are you learning to play right now? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604150)

Emil 01-17-2021 02:35 AM

What are you learning to play right now?

Just the idea of picking out a song, plan a day when you know you have some time to sit down and work out how to play it is something i really enjoy.
I usually get a couple of hours extra in the weekends and i think thats the highlight of the week.

It would be fun to what song you’re trying to learn right know why that song was on the ”list” from a playing perspective.

What are you trying to get down right now?

Emil 01-17-2021 02:40 AM

I guess i can kick off.
Im planing on taking on ”Heart of life” by John Mayer today.
Mainly because it’s a guitar driven song with that percussiv technique and also when seeing him play it on a video yesterday i couldn’t really figure out how he was using his fingers.

Big-E 01-17-2021 03:25 AM

Something simpler from me.... Carolina in my mind- probably my favorite James Taylor composition for over 50 years and I've never been able to do it justice finger style. It's getting there:D

Willitaylor 01-17-2021 04:24 AM

Acoustic version of: Viva la Vida Chris Martin
Everlong Dave Grohl
Mandolin Wind. Rod Stewart w/ Ronnie Wood
Overkill Colin Hayes

Pdubs76 01-17-2021 05:29 AM

I think I’ll take a stab at “7-14” by Andy McKee today. Well at least get started anyway.

reeve21 01-17-2021 07:12 AM

A couple of things right now. John Hurt’s Trouble I’ve Had All My Days and a song I just discovered yesterday by Eric Bibb called Shingle by Shingle.

Emil 01-17-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdubs76 (Post 6606827)
I think I’ll take a stab at “7-14” by Andy McKee today. Well at least get started anyway.

Geez. That’s a handfull.

Well this turned out to be more tricky then expected.
A couple of hours in and i would say that the chord parts is in place. That was no biggie but getting that finger technique in order to both geting the percusiv sound for the tempo AND making the right string ring out clear is killing me right now.

Not only getting the precision but also to get enough volume on that string when hitting hit with the upper side of your nail to make it stand out.

jklotz 01-17-2021 07:34 AM

Working up a fingerstyle arrangement of Piano Man. It's been a bit of a challenge, but it's coming together nicely I think.

Kittoon 01-17-2021 07:54 AM

A Julian Lennon song called “On The Phone”.

k_russell 01-17-2021 07:58 AM

I'm going to learn a Scott Joplin tune. I'm choosing "Sunflower Slow Drag" mostly because it's not "The Entertainer" or "Maple Leaf Rag".

HOF dad 01-17-2021 08:10 AM

I get email updates from one of my favorite youtube teachers "shut up and play"
he just rolled out the Simon and Garfunkle version of Anji
I've messed with it before so - not starting from scratch
this tune sounds so cool!

Bob56R 01-17-2021 08:23 AM

Come Dancing by the Kinks. I heard it while shopping in the supermarket. Which is cool , because in the song, the Pally is where the supermarket used to stand. I always liked that song. Anyways, I went through the process I normally do. I went online and purchased the sheet music. From that I wrote out the melody in guitar tab in order to get the vocal down. The chords are easily available on the ultimate guitar app, but I've learned to never assume that because I know how a song sounds , and I have the chords, that I'm actually singing the melody. I always get the sheet music, but even then I take it with a grain of salt because sometimes the sheet music can be wrong. I have my arrangement down now. I can't wait to perform it at an open mike someday, if open mikes should ever happen again.

Bikewer 01-17-2021 08:43 AM

Hardly new... I’m working up a chord-melody arrangement of “The Shadow Of Your Smile”. Always thought it was a pretty tune.

Nimiety 01-17-2021 09:09 AM

Since I'm primarily strumming...and finding songs I can sing to (singing is also new to me)...

I discovered that "Those Were the Days" is within my ability.

TBman 01-17-2021 09:32 AM

I'm working on "Marble Hall" a 19 century piece written by William Balfe. Along with that I am still polishing up "An Daingean", by William Coulter even though I recently posted it in "Show and Tell" here. I plan on doing a slide show for it and I will be able to smooth it out quite a bit more. In addition to those two I'm re-learning "Citi Na gCummen" by William Coulter and "Si Beag, Si Mor" arranged by Stephen Wake.

I'm trying to stay in DADGAD (and DGDGBD for Marble Hall) for a while until I get these few finished up. There's a lot of music that I have in Orkney tuning also that I'd like to get back to.