The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NGD: Enya Nova Go (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656893)

guitarwarrior 10-24-2022 06:51 PM

NGD: Enya Nova Go

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my Enya Nova Go on the weekend. I have to say this travel guitar is incredible for the money!!
I have owned other carbon fibers (McPherson, Journey, Lava Me) - all long gone. All were between 3x and 10x the price of this little guitbox. They were better in many, many ways, but... I mean, I had low expectations for the Enya. And I can't believe how good it sounds for its size; how well built it is; how playable the neck is; and, how great the setup is. Low action, intonation (even without a compensated saddle) is pretty much bang on.

It's just what I needed. A little guitar I can leave out anywhere. And throw in the back seat to take to the cottage. Heck, I can even forget it for a day or two in the back seat.

I'll have more to say after I've played it for the next few days. But, for now, wow!!

jricc 10-24-2022 08:13 PM

Congrats on your new Nova Go. They've gotten some very positive reviews here!
Enjoy

KevinH 10-24-2022 08:33 PM

Congrats - sounds like a perfect solution.

SpruceTop 10-25-2022 06:23 AM

Congratulations & Enjoy Your New Enya Go Pro! It's an insanely low-cost Everyman little guitar and whether a player thinks they need it or not--Just Get One!

Acousticado 10-25-2022 09:09 AM

As a big fan of the CA Cargo, owning an ‘08 since new, I’m drawn to the look of this Enya as it does resemble the Cargo, except for the soundhole placement, of course. My Cargo has the grey “road tough” finish, so particular so. I’m not sure how the Enya specs compare, but I’m curious about its tone and ergonomic playability. The soundhole design on this Enya is nice looking, but its open area is small, so I wonder if this adversely affects its volume and projection.

SpruceTop 10-25-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 7113884)
As a big fan of the CA Cargo, owning an ‘08 since new, I’m drawn to the look of this Enya as it does resemble the Cargo, except for the soundhole placement, of course. My Cargo has the grey “road tough” finish, so particular so. I’m not sure how the Enya specs compare, but I’m curious about its tone and ergonomic playability. The soundhole design on this Enya is nice looking, but its open area is small, so I wonder if this adversely affects its volume and projection.

Hi Tom, I've played a Cargo at Sam Ash back in the time the guitar was still available. I just got the Enya Nova Go. There is nowhere near any comparison in the tone of these guitars with the Cargo sounding quite big and full and the Enya Nova Go sounding thin and shallow. I feel the Enya serves a relevant purpose as a backpack-type guitar or a take-anywhere guitar when you don't want to expose a more costly guitar to any less than decent environmental conditions or possibly rough treatment.

Chipotle 10-25-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 7113896)
Enya Nova Go sounding thin and shallow. I feel the Enya serves a relevant purpose as a backpack-type guitar or a take-anywhere guitar when you don't want to expose a more costly guitar to any less than decent environmental conditions or possibly rough treatment.

Yep, this. The Nova Go is not very loud and doesn't have much bass. It has a sort of "archtop-ey" midrangeiness. It's not a guitar you'd want to gig acoustically with, for sure. That being said, it doesn't sound like a toy, and it is definitely playable!

I got mine for use as a travel/camping guitar, just to have something to strum around the fire or in the hotel room. And for that, the lack of volume can actually be a plus to avoid disturbing the neighbors.

mountainmaster 10-25-2022 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipotle (Post 7113941)
Yep, this. The Nova Go is not very loud and doesn't have much bass. It has a sort of "archtop-ey" midrangeiness. It's not a guitar you'd want to gig acoustically with, for sure. That being said, it doesn't sound like a toy, and it is definitely playable!

I got mine for use as a travel/camping guitar, just to have something to strum around the fire or in the hotel room. And for that, the lack of volume can actually be a plus to avoid disturbing the neighbors.

I have seen YouTube demos where the Nova Go was fitted with the acoustic plus pickup. That should make this guitar somewhat louder (but probably less outdoor resistant).

Strange that Enya does not offer electronics as an option for the Nova Go on their website, while the Nova U can be ordered with or without electronics.

Acousticado 10-25-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpruceTop (Post 7113896)
Hi Tom, I've played a Cargo at Sam Ash back in the time the guitar was still available. I just got the Enya Nova Go. There is nowhere near any comparison in the tone of these guitars with the Cargo sounding quite big and full and the Enya Nova Go sounding thin and shallow. I feel the Enya serves a relevant purpose as a backpack-type guitar or a take-anywhere guitar when you don't want to expose a more costly guitar to any less than decent environmental conditions or possibly rough treatment.

Thanks for this, ST!

guitarwarrior 10-25-2022 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipotle (Post 7113941)

That's exactly why I got mine. I agree, the Nova Go is not very loud. But, it is definitely loud enough to sing with. And it does sound like a real guitar. For $300 Cdn, having a strummer that can easily tag along with me anywhere I go, and can withstand the kind of harsh weather we have up here is pretty awesome.

Silenus 10-25-2022 02:18 PM

I contacted Enya recently about getting the Nova Go with pickup in the USA (I think it's available in Asia, currently, or parts of Asia) and received this response:

"Thank you for contacting us. The Nova Go with pick up will be released at the end of this year. More information will be available when we have the guitar in stock.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best,

Enya Music Support"

I bought a LAVA a couple summers ago and the electronics broke after a few days and the battery wouldn't charge so I sent it back to Amazon. Will probably look into the Nova Go with pickup once it's available...

FrankR 10-25-2022 06:47 PM

Hmm, if they ship it with a pickup, I am likely to pick one up.

Is it Really a carbon fiber build?

Captain Jim 10-25-2022 09:06 PM

Last July, the Enya Nova Go with a pickup was available on AliExpress for $485.10 plus $79.49 shipping to the US. Assuming that price holds when they make it available to the US market, the "low price incentive" is less attractive.

Who knows what they will actually sell for if/when a model with a pickup becomes available?

If anyone wants to check up on those numbers, here's where I found them:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...andl_shipto=US

Chipotle 10-25-2022 09:19 PM

The Nova Go saddle is removable, and there's even a hole underneath already for a piezo pickup wire! Now, the end pin just screws in (into what, I don't know) and of course there's no big sound hole, so I'm not sure how you'd get the pickup wire to come back out of the guitar if you tried to install one yourself....

mountainmaster 10-26-2022 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipotle (Post 7114278)
The Nova Go saddle is removable, and there's even a hole underneath already for a piezo pickup wire! Now, the end pin just screws in (into what, I don't know) and of course there's no big sound hole, so I'm not sure how you'd get the pickup wire to come back out of the guitar if you tried to install one yourself....

I was referring to a smart pickup system which uses the body of the guitar as an amplifier (and effects unit). That way it can be louder and still portable.
Enya has the Acoustic Plus but perhaps a HyVibe will fit as well. I would not even think about installing any of those myself.