The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Any Blackbird Rider Love? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655022)

mkatz 10-01-2022 04:13 PM

Any Blackbird Rider Love?

About 5 or 6 years ago I sold my steel string Rider because I preferred the more traditional shape of the X7 and found it more comfortable to play.

I recently picked up another Rider and I had forgotten how well built they are and how good they sound. Although I still find the X7 more comfortable, I am really enjoying playing the Rider again and seemed to have gotten used to holding it.

Anyone else love their Rider?

Mitch

Barb1 10-01-2022 06:22 PM

Hi MItch,
Yes, there is Rider love:-)
I own 2 steel string Riders and one nylon Rider. I play them all in rotation with my other guitars.
Barb

candyman 10-04-2022 06:20 AM

I love my steel string Rider - I just had it setup by Blackbird. It sounds great, plays great, and is a great playing experience.

Joie2800 10-04-2022 07:09 PM

Riders Forever!

Hey Mitch - As you well know, I, too, have Rider Love. It's a sleeper and a keeper!

Juliussharpe 10-05-2022 09:08 AM

I’m on my second one and there’s a lot to love. Great for air travel. No worries on humidity. Shocking bass for the size. Good playability once you’re used to it. Hard to find all these attributes in a small package, you see why so few hit the market.

Tricia 10-08-2022 07:04 PM

I love mine, yes ! I got it in 2013, and it has been a joy ever since.

mountainmaster 10-09-2022 07:55 AM

I would love to try a Rider Nylon but since I am in Europe that may prove to be difficult.

Come on Blackbird, please reissue the Rider in Ekoa!

Backcountry 10-18-2022 04:15 PM

I have a steel string Rider. Weirdest looking guitar I own but it sounds amazing.

mkatz 11-16-2022 03:26 PM

Glad to see there are still a few of us enjoying our Blackbird Riders! I am thinking of letting go of my 2nd generation X7 since they serve the same function for me.

Mitch

warndt 11-18-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkatz (Post 7128303)
Glad to see there are still a few of us enjoying our Blackbird Riders! I am thinking of letting go of my 2nd generation X7 since they serve the same function for me.

Mitch

I was the opposite. I owned both the BB Rider and the Emerald X7 at the same time several years back. Both had a good sound, but I couldn't get comfortable with that odd shape of the Rider. It never felt small to me due to its odd shape. Sold the BB in short order and I still have that 2011 Gen-1 X-7 which feels much smaller and plays much easier.

RPadTV 11-23-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainmaster (Post 7103004)
Come on Blackbird, please reissue the Rider in Ekoa!

i'd buy an ekoa Rider in a heartbeat. i wonder if Blackbird has abandoned that body style. it's not mainstream by any means, but there's a group of enthusiasts that absolutely love it.

DDW 11-23-2022 07:44 PM

I bought a nylon nearly a year ago to take to the rainy NW and the desert. It is all I play now. With the Neck Up (full size works better than the mini) the odd shape doesn't bother me at all.

Compared to a classical, it has a slightly narrow neck and a radiused finger board. Mine also has a slight curve to the neck giving it a little more relief than ideal. I've made a new nut spacing the strings closer to classical and a new bridge to try to get rid of a persistent buzz in #5. I've settled somewhat on Knobloch carbon strings though they don't sound really good until played about 2 weeks.

I really like the light weight, durablility, and sound. You do have to get used to hearing all those harmonics. If they made a new one I'd be on the schedule, would really like a 52mm nut and flat fingerboard.

iparkforfree 01-08-2023 02:36 AM

If I could buy a new rider, I would. Awesome design. I would also buy an Ekoa rider in a heartbeat! I missed the boat and regretted not snagging one when they were available.

Tøf 01-08-2023 03:44 AM

There is a steel string Rider on Reverb if you are looking for one ;)

warndt 01-14-2023 04:14 PM

Just scored a good deal on a Blackbird Rider Nylon.:cool: This one is in great shape and the sound is awesome. It is currently in the shop getting a set-up (lowering the action) and getting strap buttons installed. (not a fan of the neck-up system)
I sure hope I can get along with the odd shape and playability on this one. I will be a bit more patient than I was with the steel string Rider that I owned a decade ago. I sold that one within a few weeks after purchase.