The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   What are you using to record your tracks (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176714)

srvtattoo 02-12-2010 06:46 PM

What are you using to record your tracks

Glad to see a recording forum here @ Acoustic guitar!! Anyone using Garageband or Logic as their DAW? I'm currently running an Imac with both Logic and Garageband and using a Presonus Firebox as my interface . Simple set up but works for me. What is your set up?

DupleMeter 02-12-2010 06:56 PM

I record professionally, so my setup is a bit more complicated:

I record to a MacBook Pro (I do a lot of location work) from a Metric Halo 2882 & a Metric Halo ULN2.

I use Digital Performer as my DAW - though a lot of the time I record within the software supplied with my Metric Halo units (MIO Console), which allows me to record without all the overhead of the DAW and then import into DP for editing & mixing.

I like it. It works for me. I used to lug around a ProTools TDM system installed in a Mac G4, but when I gave the Metric Halo stuff a spin I realized they were much better than the Digidesign interfaces and allowed for a lot more freedom.

sdelsolray 02-12-2010 08:05 PM

I only record solo fingerstyle acoustic and classical guitar. It's been an enjoyable hobby for many years. I spent most of those years trying different gear and learning how to be an amateur recording engineer (which takes more time, research and effort than you might expect).

I've pretty much found the recording gear that I like.

Here's the current stuff:

Mics:
2x Schoeps CMC6/MK41
2x Microtech Gefell M295
2x ADK A6
2x Oktava MC-012 (cardioid and hypercardiod caps - Dorsey mod of the mic amps)
1x AER R84

Preamps:
Pendulum Audio MDP-1a
ADK AP2 (w/ 5 tranny pairs and 5 op amp pairs)
Millennia Media STT-1 Origin
Pendulum Audio SPS-1
a few others

Converters:
Lavry Blue 2 channels of AD and 2 channels of DA
Lucid AD9624 & Lucid DA9624

Monitors/Headphones:
Quested F11
AKG 240DF, Grado SR325is

DAW/Interface/Computer:
Digidesign 003, ProTools LE, Mac G4

Software Plugins:
Waves Gold
Altiverb
Massey L2007
McDSP Filterbank

Room:
14' x 16' x 8' underground; 6 Corning-Owens 703 2'x4'x4" bass traps, additional room treatment

srvtattoo 02-12-2010 08:07 PM

One of these days I'll treat myself to a macbook pro. But til then I 'll lug around the Imac to band rehearsals and random onsite recordings. Having some fun here onsite in a warehouse in Peabody MA

endpin 02-13-2010 12:59 AM

MacBook Pro
Logic Express
Motu Ultralite

http://candhrailroad.com/pictures/od..._interface.jpg

catdaddy 02-13-2010 05:00 AM

I use a Roland VS880EX for recording tracks. Use Cakewalk Pro for post-production audio tweaks, editing and mixing. An ancient system by today's standards but one that works for me.

Losov 02-13-2010 05:48 AM

Guitar and SM58 to Behringer mixer, latest version of n-Track on the computer.

15 Man 02-13-2010 09:27 AM

I'm only set up for acoustic instrumental stuff at the moment. Haven't done any lately. I just had elbow surgery a couple of weeks ago; so it will be awhile. When I do record I use Audacity with an UltraSound DI Plus Pre Amp plugged directly into the computer and it sounds great.

Gutch 02-13-2010 12:13 PM

I've been a Cakewalk/SONAR user for 10 years now. I was drawn in by it's ability to track MIDI as well as audio, and the interface was comfortable to use. I'm currently using version 8.5PE and it gives me everythin I need and so much more. The available Efx plug-ins so good, I don't even think about using outboard hardware gear (compressors, reverb, etc.) any more...

Other hardware includes MOTU 2408Mk3 audio interface, Mackie Control Universal DAW Controller, DBX and Behringer preamps, MOTU Midi Timepiece Midi Interface, and various
mics.

Indolent58 02-13-2010 06:37 PM

I am using Logic Pro 9 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface. I have a motley assortment of mics including Oktava 319, MXL 67G, a pair of MXL 603S, Shure SM58 and 57, and more recently a Nady ribbon mic that I picked up at GC for $50. Quantity over quality is where it's at :D

Livingston 02-13-2010 10:53 PM

I like my stand-alone Yamaha AW1600. Probably pretty low-tech compared to many others on this board, but somehow that format and interface seems very natural to me.

Someday, I think would like to have a nice Mac Book Pro with all the fixin's.

endpin 02-14-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Livingston (Post 2125770)
...stand-alone Yamaha AW1600 interface seems very natural to me...

Believe me, there are circumstances in software driven recording when you wish you could reach for a good 'ol fashioned knob to turn.

ccavaco 02-14-2010 09:44 AM

I have been using StudioOne Artist that came with the PreSonus Audiobox USB interface. I've had to "tweak" my older laptop to get the software to run efficiently. I still use Audacity from time to time for quick recording and editing and then usually import them into StudioOne and apply effects.

Bob1131 02-14-2010 11:26 AM

My chain is mics (Rode NT-1A, EV767's, SM58's and EV RE55) to a Yamaha MG124c into a Boss BR864 (stand alone recorder). All mixing, tweaking, and mastering is done on the Boss. I export WAV files to my PC and use "Record Now" to burn disks. I am much more comfortable with knobs and buttons, so I find this set-up to be very intuitive and easy to use.

Andy43 02-14-2010 12:10 PM

Right now I'm using a Zoom H2 but I'm looking to upgrade to something a little more professional. I recently bought a Presonus Firestudio so I'm looking for a good mic.