The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Thoughts on new Fishman SA330x (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440273)

KevWind 08-25-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groovekings (Post 5038189)
So I finally got to see the listing for the new Fishman on Musicians Friend etc. Base unit is $999 US plus $149 for the expansion mixer and $549 for the little sub. That's almost $1700 US my friends ! Im in Canada so multiple that up by 1.3 $2200 Canadian all in. Wow

My duo currently gigs with EV gear, I have two ZLX 12P tops and two ZXA1 subs. Inside we usually just use one top and in ears. Outside we use the full set up. I bought the gear used for $1300 Canadian. This seems a very scalable, effective and high quality sounding solution. We gig 4-5 times a month so payback on any investment must be considered. Can't justify buying the new Fishman at those prices, as much as I'd love the portability ! :). Thoughts ?

I own and the SA 220 and it is a reasonable unit and very handy . But for the price $999 of the SA330 I would would take a long hard look at the Line 6 StageSource L2t at $ 849 and for bigger gigs and outside you can always add the L2 (sans mixer) for $749

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2T

martingitdave 08-25-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevWind (Post 5045619)
I own and the SA 220 and it is a reasonable unit and very handy . But for the price $999 of the SA330 I would would take a long hard look at the Line 6 StageSource L2t at $ 849 and for bigger gigs and outside you can always add the L2 (sans mixer) for $749

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SSL2T

This is where I ended up. But, I got mine unusually cheap. These Line 6 units are value priced when you consider the technology and power they pack in there.

With a Play Acoustic pedal, I might have considered a compact Line array PA like the JBL or the Turbosound, etc. Since vocals sound so good through the pedal, I can't see buying/needing a unit with a full featured mixer like the SA330 anymore. Perhaps TC Helicon can license their mic mechanic "tone button" hardware/software to the amp builders to include. I figure it's just a matter of time. Line 6 already builds in body resonance that works as well ,or better than, TC Helicon's version.

KevWind 08-26-2016 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 5045694)
This is where I ended up. But, I got mine unusually cheap. These Line 6 units are value priced when you consider the technology and power they pack in there.

With a Play Acoustic pedal, I might have considered a compact Line array PA like the JBL or the Turbosound, etc. Since vocals sound so good through the pedal, I can't see buying/needing a unit with a full featured mixer like the SA330 anymore. Perhaps TC Helicon can license their mic mechanic "tone button" hardware/software to the amp builders to include. I figure it's just a matter of time. Line 6 already builds in body resonance that works as well ,or better than, TC Helicon's version.

Yes I have been considering switching back to a more conventional type PA . Particularly since I may start doing a more regular weekly gig .
I have used the SA220 since it first came out and was called the Solo Amp 2008 or 9 . And while it is a reasonable sound and hard to beat for convenience, I always felt it lacked (and maybe this is just my imagination) some of the presence and depth of a traditional 2 speaker system . Which of course might be able to be addressed with adding another Solo, but then you are back the less convenience of a 2 speaker PA .
I have yet to really compare it with Line 6 side by side , so that will be what I am looking to do this fall when I get back to our other house where my studio and PA is

NoodleFingers 08-26-2016 01:44 PM

The new Fishman looks really interesting. But when I look at the Turbosound iNSPIRE iP500, I wonder if it makes sense.

The Fishman does have onboard controls, while the Turbosound's more limited controls have to be engaged through Bluetooth on an iOS device. So that's an advantage. And it does appear that it takes quite a while to get one of the Turbosound units.

But the Turbosound units have been reported to sound great. They already have a subwoofer, and they are 800W vs. 300W.

Anyone know why the Fishman units might still be worth it, even at 2x the cost?

craftydad 09-09-2016 08:27 AM

Hi - I've seen some threads that mention Best Buy selling the Fishman amps and clearing them out when a newer version arrives.

I've been to the best buy website I don't see anything from Fishman on it.

Where are people seeing Best Buy selling SA220's or any Fishman amp?

Craftydad

tomtheguitarguy 01-18-2017 09:02 PM

I picked up an SA330X yesterday - had a 15% off coupon.

Sounds great except for one thing - it has a bad rattle/buzz when I hit a low F# or middle F# on my guitar. Very similar to the bad rate buzz that the Line 6 Stagesource L2t speaker had.

Up close when i was playing it didn't sound ultra clear, but in the audience (local grille) it sounded crystal clear according to some good friends. I didn't think that that low end was as good a my Bose Compact, but as sion as i stepped out and listened to the break music it sounded just as good (Bose goes down to 65hz while the SA330 goes down to 71hz)

Today while at a gig, it sounded very good and perfect bass (except that dang rattle) - but I performed standing and was a little further away/in front.

I'm going to have to exchange mine for a non rattling unit - def makes a good addition to my Bose Model 2, Bose Classic and Compact units... (And my Line 6 L2t's and L3t...)

Groberts 09-01-2017 11:28 AM

Any updated reports on the Fishman SA330X? I am awaiting the new JBL EON One Pro since it offers a more all-in-one solution. But I had a Fishman SA220 and it was very natural sounding which I loved.

I felt however like my Bose L1 Compact tends to disperse the sound a bit more evenly at the same volume near and across the room. It is remarkable that way.

So considering a couple options that have built in reverb and mixer capabilities greater than the Bose (Built in)

SalFromChatham 09-01-2017 07:20 PM

I have the SA330 with the added in mixer, and the nicer carrying case. Set up and breakdown is short. It's just too easy.

Sound is great. I don't need the sub. My gigging partner has the Bose with the mixer and sub. It's too much bass, although he won't admit it.

One other thing. Versus the SA220 the 330 has sealed pots. So that crackling knob thing isnt supposed to happen here as often as I'd did to me with my 220.

mikemo6string 09-03-2017 05:51 PM

I used the SA220 for years, and still have it. I've been using the SA330X, with sub and mixer, for three months now.

I do still have a Fishman Loudbox acoustic amp, QSC K10s, and a Mackie mixer.

Here are the primary reasons I like the Fishman SA330X:

1. Easy to set up. Though I like to have a monitor pointed back at me, and separate mains for the audience, it's just a lot of extra set up and sound check. There are times I choose to do it, but when I'm hauling gear into bars three nights a week, I'll choose the convenience of the SA330X almost every time. There are numerous systems out there that accomplish this. I do like the "deluxe" carry bag (it should be standard with the system), and the sub and pole mount interface nicely with the main drivers. The add-on mixer is tiny, light, and hooks right on the pole via a plastic clip. It's sturdy enough, mostly because that little mixer is very light. That gives me 6 full range channels, with 48V phantom power, three band EQ, and reverb, for when I perform with the Morris Family Band.

2. The sub sounds good. I do a lot of percussive looping, and the sub provides that percussive kick/snare/beatbox that I do on the acoustic guitar and vocals. It's got an adjustable level control, and a roll off frequency that are valuable in different rooms. I do prefer the sub to the Bose systems that I used in the past... the adjustable level control is a nice added feature. If you're not into the "thumpy" sound, the sub is not really necessary (or perhaps even desirable) if you're playing an acoustic guitar. I do notice the sub when I'm playing without looping, but the "stick" sounds just fine without it.

3. Customer Service. Fishman has the best customer service ever. That's certainly my opinion. I've NOT had many problems with their gear over the years, and when I have, the folks at Fishman have always made it right, in a timely manner. When a boutique amp (I'll withhold the brand name) I had broke down a couple of years ago, I had to ship it out, and wait several weeks to get it back. When one of my loop pedals died after a few months, it took a number of emails just to get a response. With Fishman, when one of my SA220 channels went after six years, I called them and got a person in about 30 seconds. I took it to them (I live a couple of hours away), and when they couldn't fix it, they gave me a new unit. I can't say enough about their customer service.

Those are the big three reasons. As far as the sound of the SA330 system goes, it's voiced a little differently than the SA220. I only notice that difference when I set them up side by side. I've always liked the vocal sound, and the SA330 is no different. The EQ and Ant-Feedback notch are simple and effective. Simplicity is again, a key for me. Sure, I'd like a sweepable mid, or a parametric EQ, but the combination of convenience and sound quality is quite good. Similarly, I find the EQ and Anti-Feedback notch controls quite effective and easy to use, by ear, for acoustic guitar. I do use a 10 band graphic EQ on my pedal board, for a little added control over fine tuning the sound. I know the JBL Eon One has gotten a lot of attention recently. I used the two systems side by side (though not in front of an audience), and quite preferred the Fishman sound. I'll go into more detail if anyone is specifically interested in that line of thinking.

As far as power goes, it's ample for my needs. With the sub, it provides plenty of punch and thump for any venue that I play. I'm not blasting folks out, and most places require a little finesse in balancing the realities of folks eating/drinking/talking with the performance of live music. I think the SA330X is a good tool for this, and it's another reason I like the single stick approach to sound. I don't feel that the system sounds its best when pushed really hard, though most systems sound a little harsh when pushed towards their edge.

This is a pretty long rant, so I'll add one final note. The SA330x looks good. Mounted in the sub, with those clean lines, and that little mixer tucked in there, the system is aesthetically pleasing. And it's quite easy to run your mic cables very cleanly, if that matters to you. With my alternate mains and monitor approach, I've never mastered the clean stage... there are cables all over the place. All in all, the SA330X (with sub and mixer, and "deluxe" bag), is my favorite sound system for the working acoustic musician. And I know that Fishman has got my back!

Cheers,
Mike

Chriscom 09-03-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemo6string (Post 5465556)
I know the JBL Eon One has gotten a lot of attention recently. I used the two systems side by side (though not in front of an audience), and quite preferred the Fishman sound. I'll go into more detail if anyone is specifically interested in that line of thinking.

I'm curious, since I started looking at the Eon One when I first heard about the Eon One Pro. I've since ruled out the One because I can't lug 40 pounds up and down two flights of stairs, but I expect it'll share family traits with the Pro, which is still a contender for me.

Separately, do you have any experience hearing keyboards plugged into the 330x, with and without the sub? Most of my performance is solo but my duo is with a female vocalist who plays keyboards (I sing and play acoustic guitar).

SalFromChatham 09-04-2017 03:06 AM

Now I feel guilty for my short response up a few. Mikemo's review is outstanding.

martingitdave 09-04-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chriscom (Post 5465763)
I'm curious, since I started looking at the Eon One when I first heard about the Eon One Pro. I've since ruled out the One because I can't lug 40 pounds up and down two flights of stairs, but I expect it'll share family traits with the Pro, which is still a contender for me.

Separately, do you have any experience hearing keyboards plugged into the 330x, with and without the sub? Most of my performance is solo but my duo is with a female vocalist who plays keyboards (I sing and play acoustic guitar).

Chris, the Eon One Pro is essentially the same weight.

Groberts 09-04-2017 09:10 AM

MikeMo, GREAT report sharing real world insight into the "how and why" it works. I am simply going to wait and see what the JBL EON One Pro has to offer before giving the SA330X a try.

I had an early Soloamp (SA220) and it worked well for many years, countless gigs. I loved the sound and tone. Very natural. But I will admit I felt the dispersion and 'throw' across the venue was not quite as even handed as the Bose L1 Compact.

The L1 Compact however does not have EQ, Reverb/delay, notch filtering. So I had to add a Baggs Platinum Pro EQ to my pedal board ..and a reverb pedal. That works fine since I use a looper, Clean boost for solo's, Vocal harmonizer, Shure GLX wireless receiver/tuner and a tap tempo delay. Since I use a pedal board, it made sense to build it out with a preamp. Probably cost me more in the long run, but the functionality is where I need it. So ...the Bose L1 Compact is working better since I feel it disperses and throws the same volume near and far ..and does so 'further' just a bit better than my former SA220 (Soloamp) did. I never did a side-by-side A-B comparison, but I watch patrons well across a large resort patio singing along when I use my Bose system. That never happened with the Soloamp. I had a few friends (at the same distance) tell me they couldn't hear me as well when I was using the Soloamp. (SA220)

I wonder if the SA330X is much different from the SA220X.

I've tried to search for comparisons of the SA330X to the Bose L1 Compact, but have not found much direct correlation or comparisons.

Lastly, one reason for waiting on the JBL EON One Pro is that I play bass in my Duo. Sometimes I go straight into the bass module on the Bose L1 Compact. It works fine, but I've heard the external Sub on the SA330X is much better.

I wonder how the JBL EON One Pro will perform. (It's more of an "All-in-one" alternative to the Bose than the SA330X is)

Chriscom 09-04-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 5465908)
Chris, the Eon One Pro is essentially the same weight.

It's probably closer than I thought. I have a spreadsheet with some specs for various contenders and had the Pro listed at 35 lb., compared to the One at 40.8, and that 17% weight increase is noticeable at the limits (under the category, I can do it but do I want to. I've spent some time at Guitar Center just lifting things). But all the other sites I've now checked, including JBL itself and others like Sweetwater and B&H, have the Pro at 37.5. Less svelte. We'll see what happens when it finally arrives.

mikemo6string 09-04-2017 03:37 PM

It's such a great time for portable PA systems. I started out with a Shure Vocal Master (we called it the Vocal Smasher). There are a lot of great choices for us out there.

I haven't heard keyboards through either the SA220 or SA330 in a live setting. Sorry that I'm not any help with that question.

Similarly, I haven't directly compared the Fishman (220 or 330) to the Bose Compact. I've used the Compact, though only at small house concerts which didn't really push the system at all. I did feel that the dispersion on my Bose L1 Classic was better than the Fishman SA220 (or the 330). But the Bose was also much heavier (and more expensive), and when I did have an issue the unit had to be shipped out and back, and it took a while (though Bose paid for it). I do like the sub on the SA330 better. One thing I do like about the Fishman (both models) is the driver size. I think the slightly larger drivers bring out the low mids and that warmth that I like a little better than the Bose. Perhaps it's not driver size at all, but rather voicing or some other physics that I don't care to understand. So there's a little trade off there: throw vs. warmth. Depends on the venue.

The Turbosound units look great. They certainly have a pretty good history in the sound reinforcement world. I just don't know enough about them, their customer service or reliability to go there yet. The iP2000 looks like a great unit, but it's over 60 pounds. I'm sure there are great companies out there, and some great service, too... I just know that Fishman backs up everything they sell, and does it quickly.