The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Nylon-String Hybrid/Crossover Electro-Acoustic Recommendations under $1600? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183863)

Eric.Hope 05-05-2010 10:53 AM

Nylon-String Hybrid/Crossover Electro-Acoustic Recommendations under $1600?

I actually posted a similar question a few days ago, but got only one response, so I've modified my question, and am starting this new thread:

I currently play a La Patrie Concert CW classical. It's alright, but it doesn't knock my socks off. I've had it for a few years, and feel about ready to upgrade a bit, to a guitar with all solid woods, etc. I've been interested in a few of the "hybrid" or "crossover" models that have been popping up, for the lower action, radiused fretboards, etc, and have been thinking very seriously about the Alhambra CS-3 Crossover:

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co...assical+Guitar

It looks great, but in the interest of making sure I've shopped around properly, I'd like some more suggestions along these lines. Anyone have any? I'm aware of the Taylor nylon-string models (the only ones in my price range [new] seem to be the NS32CE & NS34CE), but I must confess to having a (perhaps unfounded) preference toward manufacturers for whom classical/nylon string guitars are their MAIN THING (I am willing to put that preference away if it's unreasonable or unfounded, though. If the Taylor is worth consideration, then I am happy to consider it). Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

royd 05-05-2010 12:30 PM

sent you a PM regarding a Kenny Hill New World crossover I have for sale.

Play2PraiseHim 05-05-2010 02:11 PM

Cervantes Crossover 1 Palo Escrito from Gryphon Stringed Instruments or The 12th Fret. If not in stock, they can order. Price right now is about a Benjamin Franklin more or 1/2 of a Benjamin.

In your price range, the Kenny Hills would be my choice if there were no Cervantes Crossovers. The Cervantes have a more modern lattice braced voice where the Kenny Hills have a more traditional tone. It is all a matter of preference. But either would be a great option. You could save alot by going with the Kenny Hill.

landru64 05-05-2010 04:47 PM

there are other threads worth searching for for recommendations....

this was among the more definitive for me.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...2&postcount=30

Dennis M 05-05-2010 07:29 PM

I have a Alhambra crossover model CS-2 CW. Solid cedar top, solid Ovankol back and sides. Cutaway, non-electric, rounded fingerboard, smaller than standard neck.

I love it! best sounding classical I have ever played, and I have played many very expensive models from luthiers. I have played steel string guitars most of my life, have a Yamaha CGX-177 which I use live and plugged in, but the Alhambra is my baby.

Bought it in Copenhagen last year, for about $1300 US dollars. Definitely the best acoustic I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of them.

I have had a few professional artists play it, and they concur: it is a wonderful sounding instrument.

I would like to try, if the economy improves, the spruce top, rosewood version you mentioned. Although, when I was in the store in Copehagen last year, going from model to model, I remember the Ovankol version really "spoke" to me. Much more than the rosewood guitar did.

. . .and that is what a person buying an acoustic guitar should go by. What sounds good to you, what speaks to you.
I don't know where you can find them in the states. Hope this helps.

Dennis M

Play2PraiseHim 05-06-2010 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis M (Post 2216874)
I have a Alhambra crossover model CS-2 CW. Solid cedar top, solid Ovankol back and sides. Cutaway, non-electric, rounded fingerboard, smaller than standard neck.

I love it! best sounding classical I have ever played, and I have played many very expensive models from luthiers. I have played steel string guitars most of my life, have a Yamaha CGX-177 which I use live and plugged in, but the Alhambra is my baby.

Bought it in Copenhagen last year, for about $1300 US dollars. Definitely the best acoustic I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of them.

I have had a few professional artists play it, and they concur: it is a wonderful sounding instrument.

I would like to try, if the economy improves, the spruce top, rosewood version you mentioned. Although, when I was in the store in Copehagen last year, going from model to model, I remember the Ovankol version really "spoke" to me. Much more than the rosewood guitar did.

. . .and that is what a person buying an acoustic guitar should go by. What sounds good to you, what speaks to you.
I don't know where you can find them in the states. Hope this helps.

Dennis M

I love to see guitars made with tonewods other than the traditional ones. Do you have any pics, videos, or soundclips to share?

Gtrfinger 05-06-2010 09:17 AM

Based in UK

I'm looking for a nylon electro/acoustic with wide neck, I live in the UK and must admit to being well out of my comfort zone on this one. I'm familiar with well known names of steel string guitars but in my recent search for a classical guitar there are many new names for me that I know nothing about. Similar budget to the thread starter- about £700 tops (preferably around £400).

I don't mean to hijack this thread, it just seemed daft to start another that was so similar to this one, so soon after this one, just cos I'm from the UK.

royd 05-06-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

I'm looking for a nylon electro/acoustic with wide neck,
what do you mean "wide neck?" Nylon string guitars usually have wider fingerboards than steel strings to start with. So, while a 45mm (1 3/4) is normal for a fingerstyle steel string guitar and is becoming pretty standard across the board, 48 (1 7/8) is narrow for a nylon string and is usually what you get on a crossover with 50 (2) or 52 (2 1/8) being typical on guitars other than crossovers.

Eric.Hope 05-06-2010 11:19 AM

No worries at all, Gtrfinger, on sharing this thread with me. We have similar objectives. There are definitely some great suggestions in this thread, which you can check out. The shop I provided a link to in the beginning of this thread is located in Devon, and they carry a lot of great brands. You might want to browse their site (if you haven't already). Here is the link again, for convenience:

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co.uk/

...but hey, here's a question for some of you more experienced players: While I realise that classical guitars do not traditionally have truss rods (my current La Patrie excepted), as I am looking at a crossover/hybrid nylon-string guitar, should I aim for a guitar WITH one? The Alhambra I mentioned does not have one.

Dennis M 05-06-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim (Post 2217242)
I love to see guitars made with tonewods other than the traditional ones. Do you have any pics, videos, or soundclips to share?

Sorry, I don't have anything on the Alhambra, but . . .

Here is a video of me playing, not the Alhambra, but the Yamaha CGX-177 at a local coffee house here in Staten Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr9ADKr-Ugg

And . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m3Ic...eature=related

I picked the Yamaha a few years back for the same reasons I went with the Alhambra, plus the fact that it actually sounded the best plugged into an amp. all the rest didn't match up, and I was looking for something of a crossover classical like described early on in this thread.

Oh, and yes, I, too play to Praise Him. Always.

Dennis M.

Play2PraiseHim 05-08-2010 04:30 PM

Nice playing Dennis. Thanks for sharing those videos.

Gtrfinger 05-16-2010 12:35 PM

Excuse my ignorance but until I read this thread in the last week oor so, I'd never heard the term "Crossover guitar" before. Does it refer to a nylon guitar with specifications similar to a steel string? eg Orchestra Model type size with nut width ~44-46mm? With string spacing that narrow I'd find it difficult to play classical guitar/fingerstyle.

gary0319 05-16-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gtrfinger (Post 2227063)
Excuse my ignorance but until I read this thread in the last week oor so, I'd never heard the term "Crossover guitar" before. Does it refer to a nylon guitar with specifications similar to a steel string? eg Orchestra Model type size with nut width ~44-46mm? With string spacing that narrow I'd find it difficult to play classical guitar/fingerstyle.

You are pretty close with your description, although most of the crossovers I've seen are in the 48-50mm nut width. Some are 14 frets to the body, and some are 12 frets to the body. A lot of them come standard with electronics on board. The target buyer for the crossover is most often a steel string player who want a nylon sound without the wide neck of a classical.

Eric.Hope 05-16-2010 01:42 PM

Yes, a "Crossover Classical" (as they are often referred to) is a nylon-string guitar that has modifications to make it more appealing to steel-string players, usually comprised of a narrower width at the nut (typically 48mm, as the standard 52mm/2-inch of a proper classical is difficult fro many steel-string guitarists to get around on), a radiused fretboard, lower action, and often includes electronics. Personally, the 2-inch nut width on a classical is perfectly fine with me (I actually PREFER that), but a radiused fretboard & lower action would be nice. And electronics which actually include a microphone in addition to a saddle transducer (with the ability to blend both sources) would be ideal for me. Many manufacturers are making such guitars these days. Taylor doesn't make a proper Classical guitar, so all their nylon-string guitars fall into this category. I've gotten some really good recommendations from this (and other) threads. Am looking forward very much to getting my hands on a Cervantes Crossover 1, which comes highly recommended on this forum:

http://www.cervantesguitars.com/REVI...hybrid%201.htm

Beautiful, aint it?

Foster 05-19-2010 01:40 AM

I posted this in another thread, but it's pertinent, so....

Take a gander at the new Godin Grand Concert Ambiance. If you want a fine thin-bodied semi-acoustic classic guitar that excels when amped, I don't think it can be beat. Check my video review of the axe in the thread I linked.

Now, if you want a true "acoustic" classic that also works well plugged-in, then the Godin isn't really applicable, it's strictly a classic guitar designed for amplification.

The Godin does have a radiused fingerboard with a 2" nut, BTW