The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NAMM changes for the Sable? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569883)

L3stat 01-20-2020 11:04 AM

NAMM changes for the Sable?

Hi all, I haven't given up after my not-so-successful attempt at ordering an X30. An X20 might be the next logical option but I don't want 24 frets and a custom fret count would make it too custom to return. I'm still a little worried about the same issue that plagued my X30.

There's a local dealer who's quite helpful, but doesn't stock a 2018 and later model. The pre-2018 model he had was nice sounding but something about that guitar put me off the purchase right then. Also, it's branded Kevin Michael unlike the current ones, I didn't want it for vanity reasons (and I want Evo frets!).

I figure with the 2018 and later improvements, there's a good chance I'll be happy with the current Sables. I could order one off him, but would have to take whatever comes in (regardless of how it sounds), for a good price. I hear McPhersons are quite consistent so that should be a minimal risk. But before I do, I thought I'd check if there are any changes announced at NAMM that I should wait for, so they will filter down to production. Does anyone know? I could ask the dealer as well, but I should probably do some homework first.

Thanks!

kramster 01-20-2020 11:41 AM

The Kevin Michael is now the Touring... no changes to the Sable that I know of ...McPherson was not at NAMM this year

tbeltrans 01-20-2020 01:29 PM

I have the Touring and had played an early Kevin Michael. I really like the Touring, but would not have purchased the early Kevin Michael. There must have been a number of improvements on the way to becoming the Touring, because it seemed like a better guitar to me.

As for any changes for NAMM, I have no idea and have never been to NAMM. However, I can say that the current Touring and Sable are fine instruments as they are.

Tony

iluvguitars2005 01-20-2020 03:35 PM

Larry retired from McPherson last year so assume they have not found a worthy replacement or have changed their marketing strategy. It was hinted they were changing their marketing strategy/order structure.

From my discussions with Larry before he retired, from Kevin Michael to McPherson branding of the carbon fiber guitars...there was some major changes underneath and upgrades to the quality, such as heat resistance. That was because McPherson made his own changes (when it became Mcpherson labeled) after the guy who originally designed it for the Kevin Michael name(same one who designed Cargo).

My discussions were mainly around the Touring so all of the above may not be as accurate from the Sable standpoint but do know they waited until they were happy with them before they put the Mcpherson name on them.

kramster 01-20-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvguitars2005 (Post 6270575)
t but do know they waited until they were happy with them before they put the Mcpherson name on them.

True that. Ellis Seal is said designer.

Guest 928 01-20-2020 07:18 PM

If he's unsaid, is he still the designer?

kramster 01-20-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanB (Post 6270776)
If he's unsaid, is he still the designer?

Unc, please don't go all deep on me..I've had an easy day

L3stat 01-20-2020 10:23 PM

Thanks for all the inputs and insights! Yeah I remember reading here that 2018 had plenty of refinements made to the Sable, but not sure if that was the same time the branding switched (i.e. those improvements made it worthy of the McP name?). I played a Touring (but not sure what year) alongside the Sable, can't get used to the small size. Portability is not high on the list of criteria for me.

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear. The "Kevin Michael" I tried in my post, is a full-sized Sable, not a Touring. It wasn't branded McP on the headstock, but "Kevin Michael".