The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Multiple guitar owners: What frequency do you play them all? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567684)

Rosewood99 12-28-2019 08:30 AM

Multiple guitar owners: What frequency do you play them all?

How often do you play each? Do you have a set strategy (play a different one each day or week?) or is it random?

I'm more of a random person. I might play one guitar all day or three in the same day. The only one that doesn't get some play during a typical week is my 12 string. That one probably only gets played once or twice a month.

Update: I'm really asking those who have four or more guitars.

JBCROTTY 12-28-2019 08:39 AM

I've only got 3 guitars to rotate, so its not too difficult to play all of them regularly. I'm typically in the mood for one or the other so I just grab that one on that day, or play two of them in any given practice session. I favor the Alvarez - that's my favorite of the 3 - but all get regular play.

swarfrat 12-28-2019 08:47 AM

I have two, a Guild OM and an Alvarez baritone jumbo. The Alvarez is far and away my favorite. I keep it in C# standard, and usually keep the Guild in E std, or sometimes in P4 - though the tone of the Alvarez suits the stripped back stuff I play in P4 better.

I'll let electrics sit unplayed for a long time, but feel like acoustic guitars get stiff and arthritic if unplayed. So two is about my limit for acoustics, and I pretty much intend to sell the OM and get a Guild 2512. Always wanted a Guild 12 string.

thomasinaz 12-28-2019 08:47 AM

I have 4 as of right now, and usually play a different one each day. Some days though (really good days) every one gets a turn.

roylor4 12-28-2019 08:49 AM

My strategy is a non-strategy - much akin to yours Paul. Pick 'em up and play as I feel.

Every guitar I own gets played and all have been gigged though, with the exception for a CL find Squier Strat I received from my wife for Christmas.

I do have favorites for gigging though in the acoustic realm. MY AC240 and RK get gigged the most, as they play easier than my other 2 acoustics.

I used to take 2 electrics to each bar gig (one in E, one in open G for slide) but don't do that anymore.

KevWind 12-28-2019 08:50 AM

440 hz --------- oh wait ? :D

Couldn't resist, seriously though, I try to play 45 min. to an hour and 1/2 each day but pretty random on which one of the 4, I own

Rev Roy 12-28-2019 09:01 AM

I’ve been down to two for awhile now. I play for at least an hour or two every day with both guitars at my side. So they both get played equal time. But I’ve got a third guitar “Out for Delivery” today...so now I’m going to have three. Gonna be a challenge to give them all the playing time they deserve. But it’s a challenge I’m looking forward to. :D :guitar:

lfarhadi 12-28-2019 09:06 AM

I play each of my 3 at least twice weekly. The main reason I don’t own more guitars is, to my ear, once I start playing one less than daily, it starts to sound just a little worse, and that bothers me a bit.

foxo 12-28-2019 09:10 AM

I'm just getting used to owning more than one acoustic guitar. The 00015m is my gigging guitar, I don't care if it gets dinged or scratched as it's already taken a slight beating. The OM 21 is my main home use guitar and will continue to be played more often most likely, both for practice and home recording but never gigging.

jpricewood 12-28-2019 09:11 AM

I A/B them all every night like I have my own guitar store. Just kidding...kind of. :)

Silly Moustache 12-28-2019 09:12 AM

No strategy, but far too many guitars.

I used to have four dreads and played them in rotation with one preferred for bluegrass band, another preferred for solo gigs, and anothr (damaged repared) for any places where I'm not sure about safety (untidy clubs, no storage area etc.) than one has gone now.

Not playing my National, mandolin or my Weissenbborn much - asme with my archtops.

Only play with one combo now plus a few solo gigs. since my illness in 2017, my musical world has shrunk somewhat, but the guitars aren't doing any harm here.

Anyway, if I had all the money I'd spent on guitars ...I'd spend it on guitars.

DetroitDave 12-28-2019 09:13 AM

Rotate a different one each day.
I have two rotations: home and office.
This way, my guitar life is simple and happy: each day, a 'new' guitar to play.

Mandobart 12-28-2019 09:15 AM

I have around 20 different stringed instruments, 4 of which are guitars. My old 6 string Applause is at my daughter's place. I just played it last night because I was visiting. My Eastman archtop is my main player. I rarely pick up the Ovation 12 string or Altamira gypsy jazz box. I do pick up my budget guitjo every once in a while for a different sound.

Of the five fiddles I play the Hardanger the most. Almost never play the octave fiddles anymore.

I have 5 mandolins. I play the cedar top F5 more than any other instrument. I rotate the F4 as well. The 30's vintage resonator mandolin and banjolin get rotated through regularly for their unique sound. I almost never play my electric Mandobird VIII.

I have a sweet F4 custom octave mandolin that I play a lot due to its sweet tone and compact size, and incredible volume. As a result I never touch my Asian import F5 octave anymore.

I play the A4 10 string mandola and pretty often. My 10 string custom F4 mandocello is the greatest sounding instrument I have. Its the go-to for solo gigs and slack key.

My only problem is working rotating 12 hour shifts full time. Just not enough time to play much.

M19 12-28-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silly Moustache (Post 6250558)
Anyway, if I had all the money I'd spent on guitars ...I'd spend it on guitars.

A man after my own heart!

For the OP: Each guitar (6 as of now) has a reasonably specific set of tunes/tunings that are it's genre. Since the McIlroy and the Gibson are the DADGAD/Open G guitars (RW/Sitka) they get 80% of the playing time.

RustyAxe 12-28-2019 09:26 AM

I'll pull one out of its case, and it'll be the one I play for a week or two, then grab another one. They aren't in constant rotation. Just recently I pulled out an old Takamine I bought in the 80's and ignored completely over the past five or six years. That's the one on active duty now, while my Martins, Breedlove, Guild and others sleep in their cases.