The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Acoustic Guitar Discussion (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   That transacoustic feature (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513021)

Beakybird 06-07-2018 10:52 PM

That transacoustic feature

If you could have a knob on your guitar to get reverb or more than one knob to get other effects without plugging in, would you want it?

I think that the reverb feature on my LL-TA is really incredible. It brings out overtones that weren't there before. Sure, it can get tiresome if overused, but reverb is an effect that's been embraced in all styles of pop music, and before there was a knob, musicians would seek to play and record in a room that had reverb.

I've stated in other posts, however, that I don't like the chorus effect. It sounds very artificial to me, and I was attracted to the acoustic guitar by the organic earthy sound.

I know that there's the Tonewood amp that can go on any guitar, but a lot of people might steer away from it because it's bulky, it's complexity and iPad connectivity can take away from the intimacy of guitar practice, and it requires sticking an actuator inside your guitar and adhering the control outside the guitar, and it has to be just the right spot. So these things turned me off of the Tonewood. Even though I'm still open to owning one in the future, but I have some hesitations.

But I would like to get analog delay with just the turn of a few knobs. It would be fun to interweave picking patterns, and I plan on plugging into my computer to do this soon.

Also, they might be able to add things like eq without plugging in or harmonic exciters to accentuate overtones. It might be possible via electronics to improve the tone of instrument.

I don't mind my guitar having some knobs, but an LED display and/or Bluetooth connectivity is a turnoff.

DesertTwang 06-07-2018 11:00 PM

For me, the short answer is no. If I wanted any knobs on my guitar, I would buy an electric. I wouldn't want any acoustic guitar with onboard electronics, built-in tuners etc. Just wood, glue and steel. :)

Beakybird 06-07-2018 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertTwang (Post 5751136)
For me, the short answer is no. If I wanted any knobs on my guitar, I would buy an electric. I wouldn't want any acoustic guitar with onboard electronics, built-in tuners etc. Just wood, glue and steel. :)

They make digital pianos because most people can't afford a Steinway. Maybe with electronics, they can enhance the overtones of a $1000 guitar so that it sounds comparable to a great Martin. It doesn't mean there won't be people buying D45s or Steinway D's, but it would give the masses access to a guitar sound they never could afford.

TokyoNeko 06-08-2018 12:16 AM

I normally don't care for the on-board electronics on my acoustics, but have made an exception for the FS-TA. The ability to produce reverb/chorus effects without an external amp or a bulky attachment is a big plus for me.

And I happen to like the chorus effect, even more than the reverb. It's like having a 12-stringer without actually having one. ;)

Bear Davis 06-08-2018 01:12 AM

I have a FG-TA and it's loads of fun!

Late Bloomer 06-08-2018 04:08 AM

I am also a fan of straight up acoustics but while trying out a new Gibson J35, was convinced to spend a little time with a Yamaha LS-TA that had just come in. Never had played or wanted to play a Yamaha before but walked out with this one. Enjoying it more all the time.

brancher 06-08-2018 04:09 AM

I have tried out a few LL and LS 16's, and although I think the TA feature is a little strong, the instruments themselves are very very nice, and controlling the effects is manageable.

I use an external preamp on my others, and frankly the external preamp can be a hassle for setting up, etc. I have also played a couple of Martin's PA series (with the F1 Analog onboard) and I must say a nice onboard system that doesn't detract from eh guitar's sound is a nice addition.

Yamaha has so much experience in audio engineering, instrument design, etc, I cannot help but take this seriously. So I think it would be nice to stumble across a good LS16 TA somewhere.

ymmv

Oldguy64 06-08-2018 05:21 AM

I have the Tonewood, it’s big shortcoming is that the batteries last only about 8 hours.
It does add a little bulk and weight.
But it is fairly unobtrusive.
Placement is pretty simple.
And the effects can be subtle or substantial.
It makes my 12 string sound like a symphony.
And I actually like the overdrive effect.

robey 06-08-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5751131)
If you could have a knob on your guitar to get reverb or more than one knob to get other effects without plugging in, would you want it?

No, no, and no.

Beakybird 06-08-2018 05:54 AM

I completely get why someone would not want electronics on their guitar. There's electronics everywhere. Our phones and tablets are turning some into zombies, and we have to be vigilant every day that we don't join their ranks.
Furthermore, many of the guitarists here spend a lot of time plugged in with access to special effects. It's not as much of a novelty for them to get reverb and or chorus.
There are times when I am playing with reverb that I hear a celestial shimmer that's evocative of a superb instrument when it's signal is dry. If Yamaha can get that shimmer, perhaps with a harmonic exciter, without the reverb, then they are really onto something. Because the transacoustic feature is creating a second vibrating surface - the back of the guitar. They could use this to improve tone instead of for effects.

Beakybird 06-08-2018 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldguy64 (Post 5751236)
I have the Tonewood, it’s big shortcoming is that the batteries last only about 8 hours.
It does add a little bulk and weight.
But it is fairly unobtrusive.
Placement is pretty simple.
And the effects can be subtle or substantial.
It makes my 12 string sound like a symphony.
And I actually like the overdrive effect.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your Tonewood. Their Youtube demos of pros putting the device through its paces are incredible. I love the sound of an overdriven acoustic - especially with blues slide.

Athens 06-08-2018 06:12 AM

Knobs

Sorry, but knobs and electronics and plastic parts and doors on a guitar are deal killers for me. :eek:

As far as reverb on acoustics, we were doing that in the 60's and 70's. We just went into the dorm stairwell. :D

jpd 06-08-2018 06:28 AM

A little on the heavy side(weight wise), but what a fun instrument to hear.

Beakybird 06-08-2018 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd (Post 5751268)
A little on the heavy side(weight wise), but what a fun instrument to hear.

It's like holding a Les Paul.

jpd 06-08-2018 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5751303)
It's like holding a Les Paul.

I tried the original *Trans Acoustic*...are they the same?