The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Tell (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Poems, Prayers & Promises by John Denver (cover) (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512597)

Glennwillow 06-03-2018 06:24 PM

Poems, Prayers & Promises by John Denver (cover)

This is my cover of John Denver's "Poems, Prayers & Promises" from the album of the same name from 1971. This was one of my favorite albums from John Denver when I was 23 years old, newly married. and we had saved our money to buy a decent stereo system so we could listen to records together.

And this song was so typical of John Denver and typical of the age of my wife and I, too, full of enthusiasm and hopes for the future. I haven't sung this song for years but it feels good to dig it out and dust it off.

The guitar is my Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria with new D'Addario EJ16 strings. By the time I got to the end of the song in this recording, the high B string had gone slightly sharp, which you can hear in the final chord. Oh well -- it was fairly close ... :)

Thanks so much for listening! :)

- Glenn

islandguitar 06-03-2018 07:05 PM

Thanks, Glenn! This and your other JD tunes are wonderful "bring back the memories" songs. As with you, I was newly married and had this song going from time to time to grace those early years. I think the only difference was we had it going on an 8 track! :D
You and the guitar do wonderful things with these songs..........really great job!
Best,
fred

Glennwillow 06-03-2018 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandguitar (Post 5747135)
Thanks, Glenn! This and your other JD tunes are wonderful "bring back the memories" songs. As with you, I was newly married and had this song going from time to time to grace those early years. I think the only difference was we had it going on an 8 track! :D
You and the guitar do wonderful things with these songs..........really great job!
Best,
fred

Thank you Fred!

I'm glad you remember this song from, what? 47 years ago! It shows that we are of a similar age. I'm so glad this brought back memories. It certainly does for me!

Hope all is well for you... I am doing fine!

- Glenn

MrEd 06-04-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glennwillow (Post 5747103)

This is my cover of John Denver's "Poems, Prayers & Promises" from the album of the same name from 1971. This was one of my favorite albums from John Denver when I was 23 years old, newly married. and we had saved our money to buy a decent stereo system so we could listen to records together.

And this song was so typical of John Denver and typical of the age of my wife and I, too, full of enthusiasm and hopes for the future. I haven't sung this song for years but it feels good to dig it out and dust it off.

The guitar is my Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria with new D'Addario EJ16 strings. By the time I got to the end of the song in this recording, the high B string had gone slightly sharp, which you can hear in the final chord. Oh well -- it was fairly close ... :)

Thanks so much for listening! :)

- Glenn

Very well done.
I'm enjoying your music.

Glennwillow 06-04-2018 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEd (Post 5747510)
Very well done.
I'm enjoying your music.

Thank you very much Mr Ed!

I am very glad you are listening and I very much appreciate your comments!

- Glenn

noledog 06-04-2018 11:17 AM

Lovely Glen...made me smile with memories as a young boy when saw John Denver in concert, this song and many from the album were some of the first songs I played. It talk me basic finger style from the get go along with, "For Baby, For Bobbie" off the Rocky Mountain High album.

Beautifully done friend! :up:

eric

Glennwillow 06-04-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noledog (Post 5747674)
Lovely Glen...made me smile with memories as a young boy when saw John Denver in concert, this song and many from the album were some of the first songs I played. It talk me basic finger style from the get go along with, "For Baby, For Bobbie" off the Rocky Mountain High album.

Beautifully done friend! :up:

eric

Thank you Eric!

I appreciate your listening and commenting here! Hope you are well!

- Glenn

Guest 33123 06-04-2018 06:14 PM

Excellent as usual Glenn!

Mr. Paul 06-04-2018 06:50 PM

Fabulous Glenn!

airborne1 06-04-2018 07:15 PM

Beautiful guitar, voice, and finger style! At age 69 I appreciate and remember this old favorite and your wonderful rendition! Thank you for sharing!

Bill

Glennwillow 06-04-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Doug (Post 5748061)
Excellent as usual Glenn!

Thank you Doug!

Thanks for listening and commenting!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 06-04-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Paul (Post 5748097)
Fabulous Glenn!

Thank you Paul!

I so appreciate your continued support on these threads! Thanks for listening and commenting!

- Glenn

Glennwillow 06-04-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airborne1 (Post 5748119)
Beautiful guitar, voice, and finger style! At age 69 I appreciate and remember this old favorite and your wonderful rendition! Thank you for sharing!

Bill

Hi Bill!

Thank you for your comments! I am just one year older than you, so we are of a very similar age! Glad you remember this song! :)

- Glenn

SoCalSurf 06-05-2018 01:06 PM

What a nice rendition from one of my favorite JD albums. I particularly like "My Sweet Lady" from that album. Well done, as always. I am enjoying these John Denver songs.

Glennwillow 06-05-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalSurf (Post 5748747)
What a nice rendition from one of my favorite JD albums. I particularly like "My Sweet Lady" from that album. Well done, as always. I am enjoying these John Denver songs.

Thank you SoCalSurf!

I am really glad you are liking this John Denver stuff.

I am about ready to move on to some other songs, but I thought I needed to record some John Denver stuff.

Thanks for your comments!

- Glenn