The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Emerald X30 - Tone Comparisons? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563052)

dwalton 11-07-2019 11:19 AM

Emerald X30 - Tone Comparisons?

I'm becoming increasingly interested in the Emerald X30 for use as a general-purpose guitar. Fingerstyle, about 75%, strumming and light flatpicking (not bluegrass) 25%, DADGAD and drop-D tunings maybe 70%, standard tuning 25%, mostly non-amplified but occasionally amped.

I'd like to gain some insight/opinions from those here who have played both the X30, and have played other popular, higher-end guitars like Goodalls, Collings, etc.. I live in an area where winters are long and super dry, and it's always a hassle to keep guitars humidified correctly. I've read numerous reviews here and also watched some youtube vids (which are useful but always difficult to really make firm judgements with).

Say I were to do an in-person comparison between a larger-bodied sitka/rosewood Goodall (CJ or jumbo) and the X30. Or perhaps a sitka/rosewood Collings CJ 25.5 scale and the X30. What might I hear and feel are the clear tonal differences/similarities? It's the kind of thing I'd be able to judge right off if I had an X30 for an eval, which I may end up doing, but I'd like to at least get some bearing on this before I go through all that. Erogs-wise, I think I'd be fine with the size of the X30. Thanks!

GuitarLuva 11-07-2019 06:30 PM

That's a tough question to answer exactly the way you want it. I've played my share of nice guitars over the years but the X30 has a voice and tone like no other I've played. Its warm, big and bold. You can dig in and it'll reward you, you can back off it'll reward you. Its great for strumming, flat picking and fingerstyle. Its amazing how it sends the vibrations through your body when you play. You have to have one to fully understand! It's super comfy too hold and play, its bigger than a dread but feels about the same size due to the contours and bevels. Its a great guitar, it won't let you down. I can go on and on but I'll stop here, for now.

dwalton 11-07-2019 09:08 PM

Can you describe the X30 in terms of 1) overtones and tonal complexity, 2) sustain, and 3) tonal clarity? I realize it can be difficult to verbalize his - you know it when you hear it. Also, how does it ring out and sound as you play up the neck? Thanks!

mot 11-07-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwalton (Post 6205769)
Can you describe the X30 in terms of 1) overtones and tonal complexity, 2) sustain, and 3) tonal clarity? I realize it can be difficult to verbalize his - you know it when you hear it. Also, how does it ring out and sound as you play up the neck? Thanks!

I only played an x30 for a few minutes while I was sitting in Alistair's shop. I don't remember much. Might be useful.

1) Seemed reasonable. I played your basic open chords. It really shined on a the bass side for the A, G and E.

2) Excellent sustain, but the room was a bit noisy. It seemed as good as my X20 and my X20 beats most everything else.

3) The chords were good. Can't tell you the strings used. It's not as bell like as a Rainsong. It's just a good guitar. Whether it is like a Martin or a Taylor, I can't say. It sounded good. Got to hear some of Alistair's people jamming on it too. It sounded great.

4) I didn't play more than single notes up the neck but they sounded fine. The guy who played a song was all over the fret board and it seemed good everywhere.

dwalton 11-08-2019 08:51 AM

Thanks - that helps!

GuitarLuva 11-08-2019 06:56 PM

Yeah it's been quite some time, like 7 months or so since I played mine, gave it to my uncle. Because I missed it so much I had to get another. I'll let you know in about a week or 2. I remember it had great sustain and note separation.

jwellsy 11-09-2019 08:27 AM

My fan fret X30 ticks all your boxes. It's a D35 gas killer. Have you listened to that X30 select series video with a good set of headphones on?