The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lava Guitar Demo (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558959)

Brucebubs 09-27-2019 04:59 AM

Lava Guitar Demo

Just came across this clip.
She's good and her new Lava sounds very impressive.

Doubleneck 09-27-2019 05:06 AM

Just saw this today as well? Google must have my number? Interesting too cause I just recently got interested in the tonewoodamp that adds electronics to the soundhole of your wood guitar. Seems China would have a real cost advantage here?

Frettingflyer 09-27-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doubleneck (Post 6172563)
Just saw this today as well? Google must have my number? Interesting too cause I just recently got interested in the tonewoodamp that adds electronics to the soundhole of your wood guitar. Seems China would have a real cost advantage here?

I have used the Tonewood amp on my Rainsong Shorty to good effect, it isn’t just for wood....
Nice playing on the Lava there. Nice to see any CF guitars get more publicity.

jdinco 09-27-2019 08:08 AM

Nice demo, I have the feeling she could make most any guitar sound pretty good.

ac 09-27-2019 09:58 AM

Lithium batteries last a long, long time, but say, 6-7 years from now, is there any mention how it would be changed, or, you need to upgrade guitars . . . ?

Also, there must be a speaker of some sort inside that is making the effects audible. I'm curious about that as well as the battery.

The sound hole seems too small to try to do much from the outside. My hands are smallish, but not that small.

The construction video they had a year ago or so shows that the guitar is molded from melted pellets that must have carbon fiber shreds in them.

Anyone know more about that type of carbon building process and what differences there are from using traditional carbon fiber cloth instead?

ac 09-27-2019 10:13 AM

Just looked around quickly and found a bit more info from comments made by owners of this guitar on Amazon.

The resonator would use the guitar itself as a speaker and would be tiny. Clever.

Battery might be an issue long term but seems to be possible to replace if someone is handy and daring someday in the future.

Here are the comment excerpts I read:

What would setting up/repairing this guitar look like? If I needed neck adjustments or fret adjustments would I need to send back to the manufacturer?
Answer:
This guitar was designed to be immune to the common problems associated with wooden guitars. The body can’t crack or split and the neck can’t warp. The body and neck are manufactured as one piece and is in ideal alignment. No adjustments are possible or necessary. The guitar is Plexed before shipping which is a computerized setup process. So it comes out of the box spot on. If you like, the nut and saddle could be lowered just a bit. Electronics aside, there is nothing to break or repair. Two notes on the electronics. First, the EQ has a built-in rechargeable battery. Eventually it will fail and it does not appear to be user replaceable. With the closest factory service in China, I consider replacing the battery to be pretty much DIY. Of course it’s still a great guitar even without the Freeboost. Second, the case is so tight that it presses in on the EQ power button and turns itself on and drains the battery. If I use the case, I must tuck in a piece of foam to isolate the switch.
==============
It's an interesting concept, but execution can be better. First of all, charging is with a cable (which I don't mind), but it's quite hard to see the alignment of the USB ports there. I ended up having to try a couple of time to get it in. Using USB-C would have solved this problem. I am also concerned about the long term durability of this port as we charge it over and over again.
==============
"An internal resonator adds reverb, chorus and delay and sounds awesome."
==============

jdinco 09-27-2019 10:44 AM

Sounds a bit like the Trans-Acoustic setup that Yamaha uses in some of their guitars. I have one and like it a lot, but my batteries are easily replaceable. Wonder if that's how they got around the patent ?

I'd like to put that TA setup in my Emerald.

steelvibe 09-27-2019 11:20 AM

Shockingly good.

Must admit this challenges my "looks don't matter" motto

....I'm not talking about the girl ;)

ac 09-27-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdinco (Post 6172800)
Sounds a bit like the Trans-Acoustic setup that Yamaha uses in some of their guitars. I have one and like it a lot, but my batteries are easily replaceable. Wonder if that's how they got around the patent ?

I'd like to put that TA setup in my Emerald.

I wasn't familiar with these, but was interested in the past in the small transducers you could use to turn pieces of furniture or a window into a home speaker of sorts. I think there were some presented on Kickstarter in the past--but I don't know how if they were a success or not.

Anyone know if such things are sold for installation in ordinary guitars? I might be interested in trying something like that if the price were reasonable---and if batteries could be changed easily.

Access to inside my Journey OF660 is very easy.

Melt in the Sun 09-27-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelvibe (Post 6172818)
Shockingly good.

Must admit this challenges my "looks don't matter" motto

....I'm not talking about the girl ;)

You want the orange one too, huh? :wild:

Earl49 09-27-2019 12:53 PM

I might consider one, but we have several CF guitars already - don't need any others in the house.

Cool555 09-28-2019 12:43 AM

“I want that guitar too!”....No wait, I already have a blue-coloured one. Haha! Sorry, couldn’t resist having some fun here... :D ;)

She’s a good guitarist and her finger-style skills will probably make every guitar sound (look) good.

But some points to note if you’re considering ordering this guitar. It has a nut width of 1 11/16”, which is the same nut width as the GS Mini. I gather from reading in various threads that many here find 1 11/16” too narrow. Although this guitar and GS Mini has the same nut width, this guitar’s string spacing at nut (from low E to high E) is even closer than the GS Mini’s. For more detailed measurements, you can go to the attached thread, post # 10, below:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=537618

Hope this is beneficial....

ac 09-28-2019 08:04 AM

Did some extensive checking around today and see there are a number of brands of guitars that use essentially this same idea and system. There are also sellers of the internal system that requires installation on whatever guitar you use.

The only external system that doesn't require extensive installing seems to be the Tonewood Amp.

All of them cost about the same $200-$250. So depends on your needs, if you like how it works. If you use several guitars, the Tonewood, but it usually attaches outside the guitar and looks a bit odd--but works great.

Dedicated one guitar person? Then maybe the installed type is attractive.

I did see one thread on with the OF660 where I "think" they were talking about actually being able to place the Tonewood "inside" the guitar because the soundhole was large enough to allow this. However, I'm not sure since none of the photos were visible to me for some reason.

I think for my likes, the Tonewood seems the way to go, but there are NO discounts unless someone happens to be selling used. I'd get one quickly then, but $250 makes me think twice since that is large percentage of the cost of the guitar itself.

Life is passing though. I may splurge as it really appeals to me for personal use vs hauling around a small amp of any kind.

Captain Jim 09-28-2019 08:36 AM

Nice video. She makes that guitar sound sweet.

J.R. Rogers 09-28-2019 10:15 PM

I've been so curious to play one of these since they were announced. Sounds great in the video! Such an interesting electronics setup. Maybe they will be a sponsor soon. ;)

JR