The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   JBL Eon One Compact - S1 Pro copy? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560185)

Per Burström 10-09-2019 02:46 PM

JBL Eon One Compact - S1 Pro copy?
 
https://www.jblpro.com/www/news/pres...able-pa-system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL8HQkYG8KA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tQ5fPcR_-Y

Captain Jim 10-09-2019 03:55 PM

Sure looks like it. If you can't innovate, imitate. :rolleyes:

Oh, and make it just a lttle cheaper. I'll stay with the original.

Marty C 10-09-2019 03:55 PM

I guess they have been reading our post on the Bose forum for future product updates and request. The main one was the app control and expanded EQ/effects. Otherwise, they copied the form and fit.

necrome 10-09-2019 06:47 PM

The form factor is the same but it doesn't have the articulated "mini-array" in front of the woofer. Think it'll sound less good over long distances? Seems like just a basic 8" woofer PA with a barebones digital mixer

wood nacho 10-09-2019 09:05 PM

Very interesting! Just a 8" woofer? Hmm, concerning. Diggin the phantom power option though.

Edit: Upon further research, there IS a 1" tweeter on the unit.

Cuki79 10-10-2019 12:18 AM

Let's embbed the videos




Cuki79 10-10-2019 12:54 AM

https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.ne...00/preview.jpg

It has a "gain" setting for each channel (although it is probably a digital gain).

From what I see on the pannel, I guess that in "Mix mode", the pots control the channel volume (therefore the numbers on the right) and in "Channel mode" you get to control gain and EQ...

Cuki79 10-10-2019 01:17 AM

Code:

Brand            JBL                      Bose            Fishman        Laney
Model name        eon one compact          S1 pro          Mini charge    AH4x4
Listprice        $549                      $599            $499          -
Weight            17.6 lbs                  15.5 lbs        21.2 lbs      14.3 lbs
Weight            8 Kg                      7 Kg            9.6 Kg        6.5 Kg
SPL/sensitivity  -                        -              -              97dB/W/m
maxSPL            112dB                    109dB          108dB          117dB
Power            120w                      103dB          60Wrms        35Wrms
XLR              2 combos                  2 combos                      2 combos
InstInput        1 Hi-Z                    2 combos                      2 combos
MonoLines        stereo                    stereo ste      stereo        2+stereo
Bluetooth        yes                      yes            yes            yes
XLRgain /sensitiv gain pots                49dB            gain pots      -40dBu
Jackgain /sensiti gain pots                42dB            gain pots      -20dBu
EQ                Bass, Treble,+8-band Mast 2 bands        3 bands        -
TiltedPosition    Yes                      Yes              ?            With gigbag
Polemount        Yes                      Yes int        No            Yes
Woofer            8"                        6.5"            6.5" paper    -
Tweeter          1"                        -              1" soft dome  3" silk neoD
Midrangespeakers  -                        3x2.25"        -              4x4"
Batteryvoltage    14.8v                    25v            12v            12v
Batterytechnology Li-ion                    Li-ion          Lead acid      Li-ion
ACpowersupply    standard IEC              standard IEC    12VDC external 12V DC ext.
Bandwidth        37.5 Hz-20kHz            70Hz-16kHz      80Hz -20kHz    70Hz -20kHz
DI out            Jack                      jack            XLR            jack
FX                yes                      yes            yes            yes
Master volume    yes                      -              yes            yes
Anti feedback    no but 8-band Master EQ  -              -              yes
Sub out          No                        -              -              yes
Phantom power    yes                      No              No            yes
Extra            USB ports+Headph.

The only question left is:
"Is the JBL eon one compact less loud when performing on batteries?"

... Which basically can be translated to: Is there a step-converter to enable higher voltage like the boost output of the Bose battery to let the JBL work at full-power when battery operated?

AeroUSA: We need a Bose S1 pro vs JBL eon one compact video!!

For those who like unboxing videos:
Unboxing link

necrome 10-10-2019 02:12 AM

Thanks Cuki for the great list of specs for comparable products!

Cuki79 10-10-2019 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necrome (Post 6182722)
The form factor is the same but it doesn't have the articulated "mini-array" in front of the woofer. Think it'll sound less good over long distances? Seems like just a basic 8" woofer PA with a barebones digital mixer

I don't think Bose S1 pro qualifies as a line-array. 3 speakers are not enough. So you will get a widerspread because of the angle but not a better depth penetration than other speakers.

On the other hand, a tweeter will give a stronger high end.

It really depends on taste

necrome 10-10-2019 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuki79 (Post 6182906)
I don't think Bose S1 pro qualifies as a line-array. 3 speakers are not enough. So you will get a widerspread because of the angle but not a better depth penetration than other speakers.

On the other hand, a tweeter will give a stronger high end.

It really depends on taste

Definitely, I'm still looking for something to replace the Laney AH4x4 though, it's been great no doubt but I could do with more headroom while sounding nice and I'm not sure if this is the product to do so... The digital mixer is refreshing, since the S1 Pro's main weakness is the lack of EQ knobs.

martingitdave 10-10-2019 03:27 AM

On paper, this product would be a better fit for me. I have the new JBL Eon Pro and the Bose S1. I guess JBL listens to the online feedback. While there is some feature expansion, the form factor is nearly identical to the Bose. Being a JBL product, my question/concern would be channel gain. I personally think the 8” driver is important.

Cuki79 10-10-2019 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martingitdave (Post 6182914)
On paper, this product would be a better fit for me. I have the new JBL Eon Pro and the Bose S1. I guess JBL listens to the online feedback. While there is some feature expansion, the form factor is nearly identical to the Bose. Being a JBL product, my question/concern would be channel gain. I personally think the 8” driver is important.

Also right now, there is no way to identify a Bose S1 pro unit that has the draining battery desease...

Bose S1 pro draining when not in use thread

I almost pulled the trigger for a S1 but this problem annoyed me too much. In Europe, the BOSE customer support might not be as reactive as in the US.

I don't say JBL is more reliable. Everyone remembers the first JBL eon one units heating problem.

Cuki79 10-10-2019 05:06 AM

From all the claims in the website, one I like most is:

Quote:

Two pro-grade preamps deliver fuller, richer sound from any microphone
https://www.jblpro.com/Microsite-eononecompact/

Most portable speakers don't dare to claim that...

Also it seems bigger than the Bose S1: More air mass means more low end. Good sign for supporting the 37.5Hz low end limit claim

Justinian 10-10-2019 08:31 AM

I cannot find wattage for EON ONE Compact?

AeroUSA 10-10-2019 09:10 AM

Looks great. I still prefer a QSC K8.2 for serious gigs but this JBL is one step closer than the S1 Pro (on paper).

RockerDuck 10-10-2019 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cuki79 (Post 6182919)
Also right now, there is no way to identify a Bose S1 pro unit that has the draining battery desease...

Bose S1 pro draining when not in use thread

I almost pulled the trigger for a S1 but this problem annoyed me too much. In Europe, the BOSE customer support might not be as reactive as in the US.

I don't say JBL is more reliable. Everyone remembers the first JBL eon one units heating problem.

The battery drain problem was fixed last year. I had one that did it and Bose sent me a brand new S1. Customer service is above a beyond good.

Cuki79 10-10-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerDuck (Post 6183146)
The battery drain problem was fixed last year. I had one that did it and Bose sent me a brand new S1. Customer service is above a beyond good.

On the Bose forum, I asked people who experienced this problem to give the year of manufacture of their unit (8th digit of the serial number)

A guy named Yendor answered
Quote:

Two units here. Both show the discharge issue. 2019, and 2018. The 2018 unit also won't show a completed charge at the flashing blue light on the unit until it's disconnected, turned on, shut off, back on charge and then it will stop flashing.
Here is what ST (community manager) posted subsequently:
Quote:

Hi Cuki79, DavidE2, Yendor and everyone else

Thanks for the effort to help. We'd like to save people the time and trouble doing this unnecessarily.

Knowing the date of manufacture isn't useful for identifying S1 Pro units with the issue.

ST
They might have a batch of bad components that were mixed with good ones... therefore the randomness.

Again I am not bashing Bose, but it is one of the main reason I was waiting. Was your Bose S1 replaced in Europe or the US?

Akousticplyr 10-10-2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerDuck (Post 6183146)
The battery drain problem was fixed last year. I had one that did it and Bose sent me a brand new S1. Customer service is above a beyond good.


Sorry, but this isn't entirely accurate. Bose may have a solution at the company level, but they have not yet sorted how to promulgate it for all of us who are affected; they've asked owners to subscribe to the thread until a fix is pushed out.

Justinian 10-10-2019 01:47 PM

Another unusual feature for acoustic amp/PA: Hi-Z input.

RockerDuck 10-10-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akousticplyr (Post 6183324)
Sorry, but this isn't entirely accurate. Bose may have a solution at the company level, but they have not yet sorted how to promulgate it for all of us who are affected; they've asked owners to subscribe to the thread until a fix is pushed out.

Mine was replaced a year later; I bought mine in 2018 and was replaced in 2019 and no drain issue. I read all seven pages and found some to have operator error. If you leave the Bluetooth on while turned to off, the battery will drain. If you leave it on while not using it, it will drain. While in the S1 backpack, the S1 can be switched on and drain. Basically, accidental turning on will drain it. The S1 also discharges normally while in use. I gleaned this out of 7 pages.

Cuki79 10-10-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockerDuck (Post 6183431)
Mine was replaced a year later; I bought mine in 2018 and was replaced in 2019 and no drain issue. I read all seven pages and found some to have operator error. If you leave the Bluetooth on while turned to off, the battery will drain. If you leave it on while not using it, it will drain. While in the S1 backpack, the S1 can be switched on and drain. Basically, accidental turning on will drain it. The S1 also discharges normally while in use. I gleaned this out of 7 pages.

I think you should post that in the bose pro forum. Quickly checking, I could not find that excplicitly in a post. I am sure it would help many people.

Kabi 10-11-2019 03:10 PM

Uauu good news this autumn for those looking for a compact busking system!
More info about size and wattage here:
https://www.gear4music.it/it/PA-DJ-e...A-Speaker/34QH

Then should arrive soon the new EAE P2-8 100W compact system from Elite Acoustics, another interesting one considering the excellent sound quality of EAE speakers, see https://www.eliteacoustics.com/portf...nd-bluetooth/#

Would be great if someone could soon compare the Bose S1 pro vs new JBL EON ONE Compact vs the EAE P2-8...

Cuki79 10-11-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabi (Post 6184261)
Uauu good news this autumn for those looking for a compact busking system!
More info about size and wattage here:
https://www.gear4music.it/it/PA-DJ-e...A-Speaker/34QH

Thanks the new infos are:
* Power Rating: 120W (100W to 8'' driver, 20W to 1'' driver)
So it is bi-amplified.

* Coverage Pattern: 100° x 60°

* JBL eon one compact Dimensions (L x W x H): 291mm x 255mm x 399mm

As a comparison
* Bose S1 pro Dimensions (L x W x H): 284,5 mm x 241,3 mm x 332 mm

So in volume it is bigger than the Bose and the QSC CP8... For me it is a good sign for the low end response.

the EAE P2-8 does not feature gain pots or channel EQ... For it is a no-go.
The EAE D6-8 MKII 80 seems to be the real competitor but I think EAE might be more of a monitor speaker with built-in mixer: so the near-field acoustic image is perfect but the "throw" is limited. It is what everyone writes about EAE here.

The extra pictures show a traditional 2-way speaker arrangement (not necessarly bad)
https://d1aeri3ty3izns.cloudfront.ne...00/preview.jpg

TubeG 10-11-2019 10:37 PM

is there any info. on the battery size for the EON ONE COMPACT? also, any info. on if it is on full power running on battery?

necrome 10-11-2019 11:59 PM

The new EAE P2-8 and this JBL Eon One Compact are very very similar, the main difference being the JBL has a digital mixer. I wonder how they'll compare in sound quality and headroom.

EAE seems to be churning out product after product these days. No way of getting them in my country though~

archerscreek 10-14-2019 07:35 PM

This thing has the specs I've been hoping for. The true 48v phantom power, on board reverb, and 8-band EQ should mean that I no longer need to carry and setup my mixer.

For me, the S1 Pro's battery provided portability and resulting higher price was essentially worthless because I needed power for my mixer with EQ and 48v phantom power anyway.

The next time my local GC offers a 20% off new merchandise when trading in old gear, I might have to pick one up.

RogerPease 10-15-2019 10:10 AM

Haven’t seen any mention yet of the Roland BA-330.
Might want to compare to that one, too. Kinda similar and stereo, too, FWIW.
See:
https://www.roland.com/global/products/ba-330/x
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-roland-ba-330

_Roger

Justinian 10-15-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerPease (Post 6187275)
Haven’t seen any mention yet of the Roland BA-330.
Might want to compare to that one, too. Kinda similar and stereo, too, FWIW.
See:
https://www.roland.com/global/products/ba-330/x
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-roland-ba-330

_Roger

Roland BA-330 has been on the market for many years and it's only 30W.
The only advantage - it has 4 inputs/channels .

wood nacho 10-15-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerPease (Post 6187275)
Haven’t seen any mention yet of the Roland BA-330.
Might want to compare to that one, too. Kinda similar and stereo, too, FWIW.
See:
https://www.roland.com/global/products/ba-330/x
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-roland-ba-330

_Roger

I own the BA330 and have busked with it the last 6 or 7 years. It is a great sounding unit with enough inputs for most people but its major drawback is its size and weight. The major appeal of these new units (to me atleast) is the power/size ratio. When you are dragging these units on and off packed busses and metro cars, size and weight make all the difference. I'm sure the BA330 is a bit louder and has better sound dispersion but it isn't necessary to be that loud in a lot of scenarios.

I'm very interested in the new JBL unit. My go-to busking amp right now is the Carvin S600b which is a real powerhouse and very compact but is started to show signs of wear. The reverb often doesn't want to function properly. Would love to try out the new JBL unit.


Just my 2 cents as a city dwelling busker.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum

vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=