The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Do you play with nails or bare flesh? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572263)

TBman 02-14-2020 09:31 PM

Do you play with nails or bare flesh?

Just curious...

rick-slo 02-14-2020 09:50 PM

? That's a midi, so what is the question?

TBman 02-15-2020 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 6292853)
? That's a midi, so what is the question?

I didn't have the title of the thread correct, I fixed it.

Roccorobb 02-15-2020 06:51 AM

Nails. I learned to play that way and I've tried to cut them off but I just can't do it. The feel is so different.

Golffishny 02-15-2020 08:48 AM

I pay with bare fingers, but most of my flesh is covered.:D

Skip Ellis 02-15-2020 10:18 AM

Bare fingers always have (60 years) - don't care for the sound or feel of nails

offkey 02-15-2020 03:40 PM

Weak nails here, always breaking and tearing if I let them grow at all. So I cut them right back to the quick and play with my fingertips but use the nail end for effect when I choose. A weak nail can be pretty strong if it is stuck to the finger right out to the end. Plus I strum with the back of my nails. So I would say, both bare flesh and nails.

FrankHS 02-15-2020 06:11 PM

Yes. I play with nails or bare flesh. On a good day, both at same time, or as described by the linked Chapdelaine .pdf in recent thread, ".000001 mm apart from each other." (Exaggeration for effect, no doubt.) Another really beautiful (no nails) way is via Virginia Luque, a professional concert guitarist who readily admits in her pedagogy, "My nailless approach is more difficult," (than using nails.)

No thanks, I like good, easily produced tone.

David Eastwood 02-15-2020 06:27 PM

Never mind - just realized this was in the Classical section. Oops.

Red_Label 02-17-2020 02:26 AM

My opinion is that short nails filed correctly and sanded with 600 grit sandpaper lend themselves to a full tone and precise technique. Too long and the playing can be bright and clickity-clacky. A short nail combined with the tip of the flesh can produce a very smooth and full tone. I believe that I started to form that opinion during my time as a classical guitar performance major in a university program headed by Christopher Parkening... who had excellent, full tone... much like his mentor, Andres Segovia.

This is also the case when playing a guitar with a plectrum. Overtones can be acheived by playing with a combination of both the pick and fingertip, that cannot be acheived with just one or the other. Thirty-five years as an electric guitarist has taught me that. There are certainly many great exceptions (Django Reinhardt on the one extreme, Mark Knopfler on the other), but most great electric players play where the pick tip and finger tips contact the string at nearly the same time. The key variable being the percentage of each used.

redir 02-18-2020 01:29 PM

I started off playing with nails but do to a pesky little genetic condition it's impossible for me to grow proper nails any more. I quite playing the classical guitar for several years becasue I simply could not stand it. Then I discovered this guy's website, https://rmclassicalguitar.com/, and once again I am learning and enjoying classical guitar.

Carey 02-18-2020 11:20 PM

I use both: no thumbnail, and short nails for I and M. Lately I've been trying
to go with no nail on A, but will probably go back to a short nail on that finger, too.

TBman 02-19-2020 09:17 PM

I'm trying to stay of the pads of my fingers. I get a lot of noise when I use the pads, so its either the tips or the nails and tips. That is taking a while to get consistent - and then I have to get consistent tone from finger to finger as well.

Practice practice practice practice.......

M Hayden 02-20-2020 12:36 AM

Mostly nails until they wear down, then I whine about them being too short for a week while they grow back. :)