The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Been FB clean and sober for 9 months. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567557)

ahorsewithnonam 12-26-2019 06:31 PM

Been FB clean and sober for 9 months.

Dropped off of Facebook on my birthday 9 months ago and...........zero withdrawal symptoms.

Yesterday I picked up my wife’s phone and there it was.....ugh.......so many “Look at me!” pics and selfie’s. Smiled to myself and thought.....gee, I don’t have the time to like all these! It’s like a full time job. Staying out.

_zedagive 12-26-2019 06:38 PM

Dumped it 2 years ago. Don't miss it and absolutely don't trust it.

frankmcr 12-26-2019 07:01 PM

Well, suit yourselves, but you're missing out on thousands of adorable kitten GIFs.

Brucebubs 12-26-2019 07:25 PM

I've never joined it.

rokdog49 12-26-2019 07:56 PM

Facebook is still doing what Facebook does for those who use it.
It’s people keeping up with stuff via the internet. Nothing wrong with it. It’s useful for a few things but I generally ignore it. Call me selfish, call me out of touch. I really don’t have a need to know that much about what people are doing, friends or family.

Dirk Hofman 12-26-2019 07:59 PM

Dropped it I think about a year ago? Maybe more, can't recall. Thought it was going to be hard to ditch it. Never missed it a bit. Cannot get behind their revenue model. Glad to be done with it.

BrunoBlack 12-26-2019 08:13 PM

Never had Facebook, or TikTok, or Instagram, or Snapchat, or Twitter, or Pinterest, or WeChat, or VKontakte, or ...

The Bard Rocks 12-26-2019 09:10 PM

Everyone told me how I "needed" Facebook. After a few years of activity the following seemed to be happening;

1) I got fewer and fewer posts from people i actually knew.
2) Those that knew me got fewer and fewer posts from me (when i posted).
3) Advertisements ballooned.
4) More and more bandwidth was taken up by music and videos that I had zero interest in. That was costing me money (then).

When i stopped posting, i felt relieved and had more disposable time.

This is all me. If you like it, go for it.

Humbucker 12-26-2019 09:21 PM

I created a FB account just in order to keep in touch with my son in California, but soon was overwhelmed with all of his friends' posts and pictures and political tirades. I told my son that is what smart phones are for - texting and sending pics direct, person-to-person. I didn't need to do both. I deleted my account and not sorry at all I did. Now, my wife is seriously addicted to it. She has 7 siblings and they go back and forth all day, every day. Not me. Call me a Fuddy-Duddy. I don't need the bookface.

robj144 12-26-2019 09:46 PM

I still have it (I actually got an account in 2005, I think, when you needed a edu address to get on...), but I haven't really logged into FB in probably 5 years.

woodbox 12-27-2019 12:01 AM

Haasome wrote:

“Never had Facebook, or TikTok, or Instagram, or Snapchat, or Twitter, or Pinterest, or WeChat, or VKontakte, or ... “

Yup.. we agree.
None of it for me as well.

Frostie 12-27-2019 01:07 AM

A wise friend once told me, “Twitter is where you learn to like people you’ve never met. Facebook is where you learn to hate people you’ve known for 30 years.”

+1

Murphy Slaw 12-27-2019 06:45 AM

I too have never had a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter account.

I have some original music on my YouTube and Soundcloud channels, and am in a few Forums about certain subjects.

That's about it.

I haven't missed much life...

Tracerbullet 12-27-2019 06:56 AM

I periodically view it. Rarely post anything. It came in handy when we were putting together a class reunion

815C 12-27-2019 07:22 AM

I have a FB account. I do like it for keeping up with friends and family. However, I wish FB would create "channels" you could tune into or out of...
  • The HERE'S WHAT I JUST ATE channel
  • The POLITICS channel
  • The SELFIE channel
  • The MUSIC channel *
  • The ANIMAL channel *
  • The FRIENDS & FAMILY channel *

* I'd probably tune into these and never look at the others....