The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, mono XLR out? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496224)

Per Burström 01-13-2018 02:41 AM

TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, mono XLR out?

Hi,
I'm considering a TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, and I would like to be able to connect it directly to my Yamaha DXR10 active speaker. However, the DXR10 only have a mono XLR input.

So my question is: can the Play Acoustic output a summed mono signal with both guitar and vocals to a single XLR?

I have read the PDF manual, but I don't get a clear answer there.

Thanks in advance!
/Per

open-road-matt 01-13-2018 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Burström (Post 5601009)

So my question is: can the Play Acoustic output a summed mono signal with both guitar and vocals to a single XLR?

Hi Per,
You can sum both guitar and vocals to a single XLR out.

I tried a Play Acoustic out for a little while and used it like this (single XLR out) to my Bose Compact.

Hope that helps,
Matt

AeroUSA 01-13-2018 06:40 AM

Yes that’s how I use it. Make sure the mic/line switch on your speaker is set to ‘mic’.

JakeStone 01-13-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Burström (Post 5601009)
Hi,
I'm considering a TC-Helicon Play Acoustic, and I would like to be able to connect it directly to my Yamaha DXR10 active speaker. However, the DXR10 only have a mono XLR input.

I have read the PDF manual, but I don't get a clear answer there.

Thanks in advance!
/Per

Yes that's how I use it direct into my Bose L1 Speaker.

On the Play Acoustic use the Mono Output (Setup)

► All effected Vocal and Guitar sounds are sent
through the left XLR output.

So connect left output only from Play acoustic to the speaker.

JakeStone 01-13-2018 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroUSA (Post 5601060)
Yes that’s how I use it. Make sure the mic/line switch on your speaker is set to ‘mic’.

Hmmm.. I usually set mine to Line.

Mic is way too hot.

But I am sure every speaker is different.
So try it both ways.

MarkF_48 01-13-2018 07:20 AM

Or use a cable that is XLR-F to 1/4" TRS to go into the line input if the mic input doesn't have the ability to be switched to line level.

AeroUSA 01-13-2018 10:01 AM

The output is at Mic level. You can use line but it will be much quieter. Use either depending on the gig.

Per Burström 01-14-2018 12:41 PM

Thanks for the answers everyone! :)

/Per

Per Burström 01-17-2018 03:47 AM

I have another question about the Play Acoustic:

As I also play the piano (digital) and would like to be able to use the Play Acoustic for the vocals when doing this, and then it would be awesome to be able to have a mixed in-ear monitoring for the piano and vocals. If I connect the piano to the aux in, will it be heard on the headphones out? That it's sent to main out I think I have seen in the PDF manual.

I believe auto-harmonies can also be based on the aux in?!

I have a cheap digital piano where connecting phones mute the speakers.

Thanks
/Per