The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Classical (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   I love my new Cordoba Crossover (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180454)

gerardo1000 03-26-2010 10:32 PM

I love my new Cordoba Crossover

I am a steel string guitar player who likes the sound of nylon.
I had for three years a great Taylor NS 34 CE, but today I brought at home
a wonderful guitar which cost me less than $ 600 new.
It's the new Cordoba GK Studio (GK stands for Gypsy King).
This guitar has a wonderful, punchy sound , lots of volume, great playability, very good Fishman electronics, and great looks, with a slightly thin body,
and a neck width at the nut of 1,96.
Well I can understand that some classical guitar purists would not approve,
but it is really a wonderful option if you like finger picking, classical, blues, latin, and flamenco. Is there any owner of the same guitar around ?

Play2PraiseHim 03-27-2010 08:17 AM

No personal experience with Cordoba, but I am glad you are pleased with your new guitar. Share some pics if you get the chance.

jayhawk 03-27-2010 01:04 PM

In my search for a nylon string guitar, I played several Cordobas. The Cordoba 14 RS made it to my final list. I thought all the Cordobas I played had a very nice, lively sound. Too many of the other brands I played seemed to be 'overbuilt' and had a dead sound to them.

I expect you will continued to be very pleased with yours.

Jack

dekutree64 03-27-2010 03:58 PM

Great choice. I love my FCWE, which was the first Cordoba model made for the Gypsy Kings, I believe. I describe its sound as a "boing". Very snappy compared to the usual classical, great low action, and super lightweight. And I agree, great for a wide variety of musical styles.

I might have to go on a hunt for a GK Studio to try. I'm curious how the slightly deeper body affects the sound, as well as the quality at the lower price point than FCWE or 55FCE were.

Frosty 03-27-2010 05:22 PM

I don't own a GK, but I did try one out at the local GC. Played well and had a decent acoustic sound (more acoustic sound than the NS34, I thought, but I preferred the Taylor for ergonomic reasons - I find the neck on the NS guitars to be superb).

Quote:

...quality at the lower price point than FCWE or 55FCE ...
This is likely the made in China versus made in Spain difference. The materials and workmanship are good on the GK, but the cost of labor to assemble the GK is less than the 55FCE. I would guess.

gerardo1000 03-27-2010 06:33 PM

I own both the Cordoba GK Studio and the Taylor NS 34 CE.
The Taylor is a good guitar, but...
In all honesty, the Cordoba is better at less than half the price.

scooter jenkins 03-28-2010 05:16 PM

can honestly say ive never played a bad cordoba. everyone ive tried has been pretty good.

cpmusic 04-01-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayhawk (Post 2175134)
In my search for a nylon string guitar, I played several Cordobas. The Cordoba 14 RS made it to my final list.

I have a Fusion 14RS, and it's a very nice guitar for the money, with an excellent blend of the classical (nylon strings, fan bracing, Spanish foot) and the steel string (1-7/8" nut, radiused fretboard, 14-fret neck). I think I might be a little happier with a 12-fret neck, but I didn't know it was available until several months after I bought mine. At any rate, it's nice and lively acoustically, and the B-Band dual pickup system delivers a great plugged-in tone.