The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   RECORD (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   This guy says my tone sucks. (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212240)

knuckle 03-30-2011 06:56 AM

This guy says my tone sucks.

I don't know what to think of this. I believe this guy might be right, from another forum I post on. Some of you have seen my videos. I record with an ipod *rolls eyes*

"It seems like you're doing everything you can to get bad recorded tone. It sounds like you've recorded it in one great big tunnel. The tone is distant, echoed, thin and amateurish. Your recorded tone sounded bad a year ago, and it still sounds bad. The other people here won't tell you that, they'll be dishonest with you because they don't want to hurt your widdle feelings, they'll criticize my view because they don't like me, they'll do everything except tell you the TRUTH. The truth is your recorded tone sux.

When recorded tone sux, people will pay a LOT less attention to the song, the singing and the playing.

You need serious help in how to record an acoustic guitar and voice. Get that help, and LISTEN to the advice. Otherwise your recorded sound will not reach a reasonable, listenable quality.

Ok, now it's over to everyone else, who'll tell you that I'm just an and that you sound GREAT, and how you're improving every week, and stardom is just around the corner for you"

So I tend to think it's difficult to get a good recorded tone with a video capturing device. It seems like it's either record audio only and forget the video or hire a production company to get a good quality video / audio.

I'm all ears if anybody has any advice. My goal is to get the music seen and heard, but according to this guy, I'm doing myself a disservice by releasing anything on the internet as the tone sucks. My goal with posting videos has always been to get some advice on whether the tune sucks or not. I'm primarily focused on playing live, till the tunes get real solid, then go into a studio and have someone else do it. Am I doing myself a dis-service by releasing videos with lackluster tone?

Phantoj 03-30-2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuckle (Post 2565230)
Am I doing myself a dis-service by releasing videos with lackluster tone?

Depends on how rotten the tone actually is. Got a link?

One thing I have learned in my professional life (not music) is that you will be judged by whatever work you release to others. Even "work in progress" should be relatively polished, or your peers will judge you to be a hack.

knuckle 03-30-2011 07:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBBWt...el_video_title

WmRob 03-30-2011 07:04 AM

Like a lot of internet critics, this guy can afford to be blunt. It's easy to hammer someone else's work when he's 1,000 miles away sitting in his underwear in his mom's basement and eating Cocoa Puffs right out of the bag.

BUT

he may have a point. I'm not certain, however, that "tone" is the right word to describe the sound recording. Maybe he means "audio". Either way you might want to consider upgrading to get a better sound.

knuckle 03-30-2011 07:10 AM

Yeah I should have put audio, not tone.

lennylux 03-30-2011 07:10 AM

It's not professional studio quality obviously given the parameters you're working within, but it is demo quality. ....and would better demonstrate an approximate live sound than a lush overly produced demo from a studio.

While the guy may have a point if you were approaching some of the big labels asking about a deal, his choice of words, his "Tone" of the response if you will, is incredibly discouraging and rude.

One thing before read in to his comments though, even the real Johnny Cash had more people dislike him than like him, the same goes for any major artist in country, rock and pop. Dust yourself down and move on from his comments.

Marley 03-30-2011 07:10 AM

I went to your site and listened to Hurt and American Indian. I can say without a doubt your acoustic tone is pretty good. I would never say it's as bad as the guy is telling you. Acoustic guitars are hard to capture accurately and correctly. Many professional studio engineers can have trouble on any given day. If anything try to edit the songs or videos so there are not long delays before you start. Also mess around with your vocal mix. It may be a little hot. Nice work

rlouie 03-30-2011 07:14 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock in to what one guy says...........are you getting a lot of other folks that say your tone/audio is bad ??? probably not.....just let it go, if you worry about what every person on the internet says about your performances you are going to constantly be second guessing yourself !!!! Let it Go!!!!!

knuckle 03-30-2011 07:18 AM

Thanks. No, he's the only one that really has ever mentioned anything. I mean I'm recording with an Ipod. It's either that or a DV cam. They both stink. But I'm not really interested in sonic quality at this point, just trying to get an idea of what is good and what is not as far as songs. I really have no idea how to write music. So I'm always second guessing myself.

According to this guy, everyone is afraid of telling me the truth. That's my only question. I don't care what he thinks of the tone/audio quality. That's not my focus. I want good solid tunes. I'm not going to go into the studio with a bunch of songs that suck. That's where I'm at.

Ranger1964 03-30-2011 07:21 AM

Well, we did discuss this at Show and Tell. I'd like to THINK that what the guy was saying (and has been mentioned before) is that you are making some great music but you are doing it a disservice using your current recording methods. I'm always on people for making as good a recording as possible to show case how great their stuff is. I'm no great recording technician but have found that using some good techniques adds a lot. To be honest, I have some "stock" settings in Adobe Audition that I use for reverb and equalization so the process (for me) of taking a recording and creating the final product simply requires mixing and a MAX of 10 minutes with the software. (I'm meeting a friend who is quite good with it to see if I can pick up some tips). In that thread, you indicated that you weren't really interested in devoting the time to that end of the hobby which is fine, but trust me, as good as your music is, people will continue to request better recordings. I think that is a compliment.

I have a Zoom R16, a DPM-3 pre amp, some SHS mics and some head phones. I purchased them piece by piece and probably have less than $1k in the whole set up. Yeah it's kinda of a lot, but A LOT less than my guitars. I sort of looked at it as the recording gear is an "instrument" of the hobby, just like the guitars, amps etc.

mr. beaumont 03-30-2011 07:22 AM

So the big question is--do you like your tone?

If you do, then just push the comments aside as being from the internet blowhard that he is...dollars to doughnuts he'd never tell you that in person.

But...

At least in my experience, the criticisms that have bugged me the most are ones where I know there's some truth in them...I personally do think there's too much reverb going on--but that's my personal preference--and I never thought you were posting finished products--I always took your videos as "hey, here's something I'm trying, give me some feedback"

See, if I could record you, we'd rent an old church...three microphones--one for your voice, one for your guitar, and one a few feet away to pick up some ambient room sound. No reverb added, only the natural sound of the room...

But that's ME. I'm not doing your recording...make sure YOU'RE happy with YOUR tone and don't take any comment some fool makes on the internet without a grain of salt.

EverythingMusic 03-30-2011 07:29 AM

I wouldn't worry about it. We get far worse in from people who are trying to get us to sponsor their shows. You can't expect an Ipod to give you great quality sound (and I don't think you do), but it shows the raw live expirence, which is good if you are applying to smaller live venues. As you progress you'll probably want better recording equipment, but that is just the nature of things. Keep up the good work and keep recording yourself.

lmacmil 03-30-2011 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knuckle (Post 2565230)
When recorded tone sux, people will pay a LOT less attention to the song, the singing and the playing.

Only a guitar player would say this. If the song and the singing and the playing are good, i.e., the music, most people won't care about the audio quality (or guitar tone.)

I go to a lot of open mics. I much prefer to hear someone doing good songs (which realistically rules 90% of originals) and playing/singing with enthusiasm that a super musician doing lousy songs.

LiFeStArTs@40 03-30-2011 07:38 AM

Seriously? You sound as good as you will on Youtube anyways. Most people will view that through mediocre computer speakers and such like I just did. You sounded fine.

Two things...

One, buy a microphone and an audio interface OR buy a Zoom H2 and use it as the input mic on your video recorder. That will up your sonic quality a lot.

Two, play with your mixing between guitar and vocals. I think there's a better balance to be had.

All that said, your video showcased your music very well and I'd never question its quality as far as the recording goes... it's fine.

knuckle 03-30-2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. beaumont (Post 2565256)
So the big question is--do you like your tone?

If you do, then just push the comments aside as being from the internet blowhard that he is...dollars to doughnuts he'd never tell you that in person.

But...

At least in my experience, the criticisms that have bugged me the most are ones where I know there's some truth in them...I personally do think there's too much reverb going on--but that's my personal preference--and I never thought you were posting finished products--I always took your videos as "hey, here's something I'm trying, give me some feedback"

See, if I could record you, we'd rent an old church...three microphones--one for your voice, one for your guitar, and one a few feet away to pick up some ambient room sound. No reverb added, only the natural sound of the room...

But that's ME. I'm not doing your recording...make sure YOU'RE happy with YOUR tone and don't take any comment some fool makes on the internet without a grain of salt.

Well that's where I'm at. I don't know if I'm using too much reverb? I have no idea what I'm doing really. I use my ears and the live sound I have sounds good. The ipod kills it. It's not designed as a recording device. Also all of the audio / video cameras out there are not designed for quality audio either. Even the ones designed for guitarists are far from studio quality. So a few posts ago, he's right, I'm trying to capture a raw feel and at the same time get some feedback on songs.

I'm getting longer and longer sets and I have about 1.5 hours of music tops. I'm working towards 3 hours of material. When it's solid, I'll hit the studio. This guy doesn't really get to me. I just question as to whether he's right as far as not releasing anything unless it's of superb quality. I'm also not opposed to learning recording down the road. But I work, have 2 kids, one that does not live with me and have only a small amount of time to practice, write, record. Down the road, yes, but right now I'll hire someone else to record me if it gets to the point where my stuff is super solid. If I went in the studio now, I'd be wasting my money.