The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Open Mic (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Cast Your Vote... (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563376)

RP 11-10-2019 07:44 PM

Cast Your Vote...

for 2020 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame https://vote.rockhall.com/?_hsenc=p2...0-468efc6eb586 . In my mind, it's an injustice that Todd Rundgren has never been inducted. His talents as a songwriter, producer, performer and sound engineer over the past five decades are huge. Ok, I'm a little biased because he went to my high school and was in my brother's homeroom; but do a little research and you'll be amazed at all of the music that's been imprinted by Todd...

jpd 11-10-2019 08:07 PM

Hmmmmmm.....

"but do a little research and you'll be amazed at all of the music that's been imprinted by Todd"

Innovator par excellence :guitar:

frankmcr 11-10-2019 08:09 PM

Cast Your Vote...

for 2020 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame https://vote.rockhall.com/?_hsenc=p2...0-468efc6eb586

From that list:

MC5
T. Rex
Todd Rundgren
Thin Lizzy

Jim Owen 11-10-2019 09:38 PM

Followed him from the days of Nazz. Truly a wizard, a true star.

ManyMartinMan 11-10-2019 11:44 PM

Plenty of "worthy" or deserving bands that should be inducted. All of them (everyone worthy) will never make it. Todd should certainly be in. So should many others.
My votes have been in.

RP 11-11-2019 03:31 AM

Todd thanks you for your votes. Keep in mind that you can vote every day...

rokdog49 11-11-2019 06:59 AM

This thread will likely go off the rails sooner or later anyway so...
First of all, the name “Rock and Roll Hall of Fame”. ‘Nuff said.
I’m not much of a fan of the organization either. Their inclusions and exclusions of certain performers and the rationale behind it, is highly suspect.
Have got that off my chest, Todd has my vote.

hairpuller 11-11-2019 10:09 AM

None of those acts move me at all, but based on their catalogues I’d guess the Doobie Bros. Probably are most deserving. Kraftwerk were the most innovative and had a huge impact on 80’s music, but not sure they are HOF worthy.
Scott

Denny B 11-11-2019 10:34 AM

Although I like The Doobies and a couple of others on that list, none of them make me want to rush out and vote for them...

IMO, a few of those nominations are ludicrous, and a couple are downright asinine...

Looking over some ridiculous introductions in the past, I personally think they should back off for a awhile...it's not necessary to induct a bunch every year just to throw a big party for the media...

Acousticado 11-11-2019 10:35 AM

The Doobies and Todd are the only two among the lot I think are worthy of the HoF. Dave Matthews is in the lead...I like DM, but no way do I think he rises to the level of the Hall. Of course, it depends on the eyes/ears of which generation is mostly voting.

fitness1 11-11-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acousticado (Post 6208671)
The Doobies and Todd are the only two among the lot I think are worthy of the HoF.

Kind of a shock for me that the Doobies weren't in yet.

rokdog49 11-11-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitness1 (Post 6208943)
Kind of a shock for me that the Doobies weren't in yet.

Yeah but Green Day is in. I take great comfort in knowing that.

catdaddy 11-11-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Owen (Post 6208293)
Followed him from the days of Nazz. Truly a wizard, a true star.

Agreed! The Nazz Nazz album is still in regular rotation at my house. His music speaks for itself, but he has been a tremendously successful producer as well. He's produced such artists as Badfinger, Cheap Trick, Meatloaf, The Psychedelic Furs, The New York Dolls, Hall and Oates, the Patti Smith Group and XTC among others. Todd not being in the R&RHOF is truly unconscionable.

Dave Abrahamson 11-11-2019 05:37 PM

Just saw Todd recently, He needs to stop touring i think. Could've been a bad night I guess, voice just wasn't there. That and for God's sake stop wearing skin right spandex.....you're 71 and 100 lbs soaking wet....MAYBE. ������

Pura Vida 11-11-2019 06:59 PM

FWIW, my votes:

Nine Inch Nails
T. Rex
Soundgarden
Todd Rundgren
... and then either Motorhead or MC5 (despite how much I like DM).

For me, NIN is an unorthodox choice, but Trent Reznor was a game changer and influenced the rock/alt/industrial genres in the 90s/2000s --- in a way similar to how Marc Bolan influenced Glam rock 20 years earlier. He's one of my musical idols, and I love the layers he incorporates into his music.

Soundgarden arguably had more commercial success than any of the grunge artists, while holding onto their heavier vibe. If Nirvana and Pearl Jam are in, it makes sense for them to join, as well.

All this being said, I do find the R&R HoF to be a bit like following the Grammys. I'm happy when my artist gets nominated or wins, but I have a hard time taking it seriously b/c of some of its nonsensical track record.