The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   3 Guitars - 3 Pickups / With Sound Sample (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636325)

Mbroady 01-07-2022 11:49 AM

3 Guitars - 3 Pickups / With Sound Sample

As the subject says
Shoot out between 3 pick up systems . It’s not an apples to apples comparison..........Varied woods and body shapes.

FWIW: All three pickups could use some EQ

Method…
All guitars are running mono into a Mackie board and there is a microphone by each speaker

1) Furch D-32 LM (Hog and Alpine spruce). Hybrid set up - HFN SBT with K&K mic running through an on board 2 channel K&K Pre. Both HFN and mic are set equally
2) MJ Franks Legacy OM (Rosewood and Adi). LR Baggs Anthem SL with the On board Anthem pre. Mic is rolled back around 15%
3) Martin D-35 (Rosewood and Sitka Spruce). Passive K&K running straight to the mixer

Chriscom 01-07-2022 04:20 PM

To my ears, #1 and #2 are both quite good, but I prefer #1 as having a bit more air. Really didn't like #3, so even though there are only three entries I'd put it in fourth place :)

guitarman68 01-07-2022 06:36 PM

1 - 2 ----3 for me.

1 sounds natural, woody, airy - anything you would want from a decent amplified guitar
2 sounds pretty good, but I notice artifacts in the treble register and less woodiness
3 lacks dimension and air, sounds dull

Thank you for a fine comparison !

AeroUSA 01-07-2022 09:33 PM

#2 is my favorite. Then #1 and then #3.

Petty1818 01-07-2022 10:12 PM

I like them in order; 1,2,3. The first one sounds very natural, but the important thing is that the treble/high end has a nice natural/smoothness to it. 2 is definitely good, but it has that tone of the Anthem that I don't like. It's as if the high end is thin and the tru-mic has a characteristic sound. 3 is good but obviously sounds the least natural.

Mbroady 01-08-2022 05:10 AM

Thanks all for playing along. It’s a tough call. All three are a little harsh on the high end, but that can be fixed with a bit of EQ

# 3 is gonna be replaced with either 1 or 2. #1 has on-board EQ so that’s a plus. #2 could benefit from a small balance tweak between the mic and UST. I’ll try another round, this time I’ll spend some time playing with the pre (and and post) EQ.

rb1591 01-08-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbroady (Post 6900231)
Thanks all for playing along. It’s a tough call. All three are a little harsh on the high end, but that can be fixed with a bit of EQ

# 3 is gonna be replaced with either 1 or 2. #1 has on-board EQ so that’s a plus. #2 could benefit from a small balance tweak between the mic and UST. I’ll try another round, this time I’ll spend some time playing with the pre (and and post) EQ.

2-1 and a distant 3 for me. An eq’ed test would be helpful. Thanks for your work and sharing.

GoPappy 01-08-2022 10:31 AM

2, 1 and 3 for me also.

But, while the sound of 3 is different from 1 and 2, I don't think it's a bad sound. If you played #3 for me alone without 1 and 2 as a comparison, I'd tell you it sounds good. But after hearing 1 and 2, #3 sounds a little artificial, or not nearly as natural as 1 and 2.

JWJ915 01-08-2022 11:57 AM

1, 2, 3 for me.

Peter Z 01-09-2022 03:44 AM

2-1-3
1 and 2 are both nice, 3 is far far behind.

mondoslug 01-09-2022 10:49 AM

1, 2 & 3 here. 1 & 2 are both real nice though.

Thanks for posting.

ljguitar 01-09-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbroady (Post 6899694)
As the subject says
Shoot out between 3 pick up systems . It’s not an apples to apples comparison..........Varied woods and body shapes.

Hi Mb
Don't like the sound of any of them. They all have a very distinct 'pickup' attack (K&Ks alone like #3s sound pretty awful).

Pickups recorded directly never sound as nice as when tempered through an amp or PA.

I have no favorite, but certainly can spot the elephant in the room.

SpruceTop 01-09-2022 11:13 AM

Thanks for this demo! My order of preference is: 1, 2, 3. The first two guitars benefit by having an internal mic along with the SBT, whereas the Martin uses only a K&K SBT. I definitely prefer the tone of #1, the Furch, by a wide margin over the others.

Aspiring 01-09-2022 12:03 PM

I had a slight preference for the airiness in #2 #1 I preferred to #2 on some of the bass portions and the balance. #3 sounded quite piezo like to me and also was the one I least preferred

Looking through your descriptions I am thinking it may be the guitar / wood of #2 I prefer a little bit and the pickup setup of #1.

Mbroady 01-09-2022 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljguitar (Post 6901335)
Hi Mb
Don't like the sound of any of them. They all have a very distinct 'pickup' attack (K&Ks alone like #3s sound pretty awful).

Pickups recorded directly never sound as nice as when tempered through an amp or PA.

I have no favorite, but certainly can spot the elephant in the room.

Hey Larry
I think it’s more of a brontosaurus then an elephant :D
And yes, we are (all) in agreement that pickups recorded directly are just about as bad, if not worse then finger nails on a chalk board.

Though the samples leave much to be desired, they were not recorded direct. A Mic was placed by the 2 (relatively cheap) studio monitors. I do think with some minimal EQ ( slight bass boost, scoop the mids a hair, and cut the highs) 1 and 2 could sound decent. Especially through a decent system.

I actually recorded a sample direct and it was far worse.

I’m curios, do you have, non direct, before and after sample recordings with your Tonedexter IRs?