The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Molly Tuttle in San Francisco –– free (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648868)

b1j 06-28-2022 03:08 PM

Molly Tuttle in San Francisco –– free

I just picked up my tickets to see Molly Tuttle (and Old Crow Medicine Show) live at Stern Grove in San Francisco on July 10 at 2 PM.

It would be nice to see some AGFers there. Maybe I'll make a sign.

lowrider 06-28-2022 03:26 PM

They've got quite a nice lineup of shows.

https://www.sterngrove.org/

Good for you, enjoy!

sevenpalms 06-28-2022 04:24 PM

Nice I saw both Old Crow and Molly Tuttle in the last couple weeks here in Asheville. Enjoy yourself!

b1j 07-10-2022 08:57 AM

Today’s the day. Excited to see 29-year-old bluegrass phenom Molly Tuttle today at Stern Grove. She’s one to watch.

No, I didn’t make a sign.

b1j 07-10-2022 09:52 PM

Molly and her band were great today. Honest, authentic virtuosity and original songs with heart. She is going places. Too bad I posted this in a forum no one reads.

By the way, Old Crow Medicine Show, the main act, did not hold a candle to Molly and Golden Highway, her amazing band. OCMS, by comparison, just clowned around and squandered their considerable instrumental and vocal gifts. It reminded me of the Harlem Globetrotters, who are very entertaining because you know what you came to see. But after Molly and G.H. left us in awe we wanted to hear more soul-enriching music. Didn’t happen. We left halfway through their set.

They sell a lot more records (or the contemporary equivalent). But Molly is the future of bluegrass. Golden Highway is as good as the Foggy Mountain Boys, if you can believe that.

Sonoma2 07-11-2022 09:06 PM

Another future voice of bluegrass is Lindsay Lou. She’s friends with Molly Tuttle and Billy Strings…they’ve recorded together (videos on YouTube). Lindsay has a fabulous voice and is a good human.

columbia 07-12-2022 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1j (Post 7040582)
Golden Highway is as good as the Foggy Mountain Boys, if you can believe that.

I've listened to too many hours of Flatt & Scruggs, and watched too many hours of the Martha White show on YouTube, to believe that anybody's better than the Foggy Mountain Boys. Molly's great though.

KevWind 07-12-2022 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1j (Post 7040582)
Molly and her band were great today. Honest, authentic virtuosity and original songs with heart. She is going places. Too bad I posted this in a forum no one reads.
But Molly is the future of bluegrass. Golden Highway is as good as the Foggy Mountain Boys, if you can believe that.

It is great to see young folks playing blue grass style
And I have no doubt that young players today can be every bit as good as the groups the made Blue Grass an American institution of music Which is in the end obviously subjective,,, and kinda funny that "as good as" somehow gets morphed into "better than" :confused:

RTR 07-12-2022 07:26 PM

Molly is a phenomenal guitar player, honed through years of study of traditional BG. She has been playing since 7 or so on various instruments and there are many videos up of her and her talented sidekick AJ Lee with the Family band. I prefer those performances to her newer, original material, but I am not buying tickets or discs any longer.

Molly would never claim to be better than Earl Scruggs. Technically she is as good now as he was, but she is following a trail blazed by Doc, and Clarence White and countless others. Videos , family lessons, camps and college study all helped her. In contrast Earl was creating an intensely personal banjo style, original in many aspects, on his own. He put the five front and centre as a lead instrument, remains to this day. He is largely responsible for world wide popularity of his particular type of banjo, and his approach to playing it.

For Molly we will have to see 10 or 15 years down the road if she has the influence that Earl did. But, it matters little, best just to listen to her fine band and enjoy some fabulous music.

Glennwillow 07-13-2022 03:31 PM

Great comments, RTR! I agree with your sentiments.

- Glenn

b1j 07-15-2022 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by columbia (Post 7041695)
I've listened to too many hours of Flatt & Scruggs, and watched too many hours of the Martha White show on YouTube, to believe that anybody's better than the Foggy Mountain Boys. Molly's great though.

Glad to find another soul who can watch agape while the Foggy Mountain Boys work their magic. They are truly astounding!

I just find that Molly and her little band can stand up and blow you away like the group Lester and Earl assembled: confident, virtuosic, happy and natural, and perfectly in sync. I never said "better."