The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   New Rainsong and Rainsong dread not working. Smaller body carbon fiber suggestions? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660251)

studioman001 12-06-2022 07:37 AM

New Rainsong and Rainsong dread not working. Smaller body carbon fiber suggestions?

Hey everybody. I just received my new Rainsong classic WS1000 a few days ago and while it's an amazing instrument, I can't play it for long without my right shoulder feeling really uncomfortable and popping when I move my arm. The same happens with my Rainsong dreadnought. this is really frustrating. I didn't have this issue when I was younger;I gigged with a dreadnought for years!

Anyways, I'm already selling my Rainsong dreadnought but it looks like I'm going to have to either return this one, if they'll accept a return for this reason, or, sell it at a bit of a loss here on the forum.

I'm wondering what a good carbon fiber replacement would be that isn't quite so deep body depth wise?

I owned two Emerald X20s and while the body worked out fine for me, the neck was too thick. I owned a Peavey CA OX and GXI and while the bodies were fine, the necks were too wide for me. (Which is strange because I have large hands. Usually necks aren't wide enough.)

Maybe a McPherson Sable, Touring, blackbird Super OM or Lucky 13? This would be for recording and gigging when I get back into it so I'm not really looking for a travel guitar, (although the Touring demos I've heard sound really good). I don't have any dealers here in CT I can get to that seem to stock any of these instruments so can't try them out in person. If I were really fat on cash, I'd just order all four and then return the ones that don't work for me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Methos1979 12-06-2022 07:43 AM

RainSong OM Shorty. Very comfortable (thin) body and short scale but with cutaway so can access higher frets when needed. Get a Vintage model for a classic look and warmer tone. They come with the great LR Baggs Anthem StagePro system which is perfect for gigging. If you ever travel up my way you can give mine a test drive.

Frettingflyer 12-06-2022 07:49 AM

If the neck on the X20 was too thick, I wouldn’t look at Blackbird. I like my Lucky but would say it isn’t the most pleasing sound of all my guitars. Given the neck concern I would say go Sable, great sound and a thinner neck still with the 1 3/4” string spacing at the nut. For fingerstyle I find it a bit quiet but the sound itself is wonderful and if you are amplifying anyway that won’t matter. It does seem to really come alive more with a flatpick, FWIW.
Can’t speak to the CA as I haven’t played one in some time and then only a demo in a store.
So sorry to hear about the shoulder, but I had the same issue with the WS and find the Rainsong OM to be better. Most of my guitars are Taylor GC’s or the CF listed here(Sable, OM, Lucky13) with smaller more comfortable bodies even though most of my shoulder issues were fixed until a recent accident and surgery which has limited my playing time. That said, the Lucky is the easiest to play in my current capacity as I recover and I am really glad to have it.
Good luck with the hunt, I think you would really like the Sable tone and neck but it is a bit heavy and not as sensitive to a light touch.

Frettingflyer 12-06-2022 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 7140717)
RainSong OM Shorty. Very comfortable (thin) body and short scale but with cutaway so can access higher frets when needed. Get a Vintage model for a classic look and warmer tone. They come with the great LR Baggs Anthem StagePro system which is perfect for gigging. If you ever travel up my way you can give mine a test drive.

BTW- I am near Scott and you could test drive my Lucky and Sable as well.

RP 12-06-2022 07:57 AM

I didn't see anything on Rainsong's website about returns so this might be a good test of their customer service now that they're a dealer in addition to being a manufacturer...

Methos1979 12-06-2022 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frettingflyer (Post 7140728)

Ooo - carbon fiber meetup! I like it!!

Sorehand 12-06-2022 10:10 AM

Studioman001, Spindrift Guitars in New London, CT currently list two CF McPherson guitars. One is a Sable and the other is a Touring. Good luck on your search.

JackDaniel 12-06-2022 11:10 AM

if the emerald is too small, you shouldnt go mcpherson.
maybe try an x20 nylon? it has a wider neck.

bry 12-06-2022 08:39 PM

McPherson touring. I bought a sable earlier this year and sold it months after. Too heavy. In my opinion it needs medium strings to drive the top. For me there was too much tension. Also the sable is not a very loud guitar. I recently got another touring. These guitars sound incredible. Plugged in they sound amazing. They are so easy to play and loud.

studioman001 12-07-2022 09:03 AM

Oh neat, thanks for letting me know! I've never heard of that shop. It's not exactly local but it seems like it's the closest option for trying both instruments out side by side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorehand (Post 7140830)
Studioman001, Spindrift Guitars in New London, CT currently list two CF McPherson guitars. One is a Sable and the other is a Touring. Good luck on your search.

studioman001 12-07-2022 09:05 AM

Hi. I can't drive but thank you for the offer all the same. It's appreciated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frettingflyer (Post 7140728)

lat18 12-07-2022 03:31 PM

Rainsong OM. I had the same problem with my Rainsong WS. the OM is much more comfortable.

jdinco 12-07-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lat18 (Post 7141718)
Rainsong OM. I had the same problem with my Rainsong WS. the OM is much more comfortable.

so true, only problem is the OM don't sound like that WS ! :D

The Bard Rocks 12-07-2022 08:21 PM

OP, you mentioned a Lucky 13. I have one and think it is a decent guitar. My friend thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. He goes wild over it - and he owns Martins and Gibsons. They are only available used. Very comfy to play and the only CF I am aware of that is not a cutaway. They do have soundports. These were two factors that greatly influenced the decision to buy mine. If you play only in Standard, you won't need a tuner any longer....(!)

AZLiberty 12-12-2022 09:32 PM

Rainsong OM "shorty". i.e. an OM with a 12-fret short scale neck. Which should make it a 000 but... it's a Rainsong, so it's still an OM.

I like my WS3000 quite a bit, but it's a very deep body.