The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   PLAY and Write (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Add4 chords, 11ths with the 3rd (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513566)

Beakybird 06-13-2018 09:41 AM

Add4 chords, 11ths with the 3rd

One thing I find more beautiful than a Sus4 resolving to a 3rd is a Sus4 resolving to a 3rd while both ringing out together. When you add the 7th, you get a little bit of a taste of a George Harrison, "Within You Without You" vibe.

To get the 3rd and the 4th in the same structure can require some difficult reaching unless you take advantage of an open string.

Let's see:

Open E string - you can get the 3rd and the 4th by playing a B or Csus
Open B string - you can get the 3rd and the 4th by playing an F# or a Gsus
Open G string - you can get the 3rd and the 4th by playing a D or Ebsus

Do you ever play with 3rd and 4ths together. How about in other keys?

JonPR 06-13-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5755919)
One thing I find more beautiful than a Sus4 resolving to a 3rd is a Sus4 resolving to a 3rd while both ringing out together. When you add the 7th, you get a little bit of a taste of a George Harrison, "Within You Without You" vibe.

To get the 3rd and the 4th in the same structure can require some difficult reaching unless you take advantage of an open string.

Let's see:

How about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUNEC5PXGzk
Capo 2, Amaj7 shape with added D, played from this shape: x-0-6-6-3-0.

Beakybird 06-13-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonPR (Post 5755937)
How about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUNEC5PXGzk
Capo 2, Amaj7 shape with added D, played from this shape: x-0-6-6-3-0.

I didn't think of a major 7. I do A7add4 (or is it A11?):
X 0 5 6 3 0
And the Houdini-like Aadd4:
X 0 7 6 3 0
I fret the D string with the tip of my nose. JK

1neeto 06-13-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5755919)

Let's see:

I’m a bit confused because you’re not mentioning any chord in particular. So you’re talking about playing something like a barre Csus4 (impossible chord at least for me since my pinky can’t stretch that far) with a low open E?

Beakybird 06-13-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1neeto (Post 5756000)
I’m a bit confused because you’re not mentioning any chord in particular. So you’re talking about playing something like a barre Csus4 (impossible chord at least for me since my pinky can’t stretch that far) with a low open E?

No. For example, X 3 5 5 6 0. No bar. Index on A, middle finger on D, ring finger on G, pinky on B. Or
8 X 10 10 8 0 with thumb on the low E string. You can do it!
For Gadd4: 3 5 5 5 0 X. Using the thumb, you can potentially play all 6 strings: 3 5 5 5 0 3.

rick-slo 06-13-2018 11:19 AM

I'm still waiting for a nice well written, listenable, actual tune arising out of all of this stuff.

Big Band Guitar 06-13-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 5756010)
I'm still waiting for a nice well written, listenable, actual tune arising out of all of this stuff.

Listen to John or Bucky Pizzarelli, Joe Pass, Blood Sweat and Tears, the list goes on and on.

rick-slo 06-13-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar (Post 5756015)
Listen to John or Bucky Pizzarelli, Joe Pass, Blood Swett and Tears, the list goes on and on.

How about you do it or Beakybird do it?

The pros you mentioned go way beyond this with a broader more practical approach.

Beakybird 06-13-2018 12:04 PM

My wife borrowed my Zoom recorder. I'll record what I'm working on tonight - a cascade of 11ths and add4ths cycling through different keys with lots of mistakes, but good enough to be presentable on this forum. ;)

Beakybird 06-13-2018 12:32 PM

Oh. Warning. It put my wife to sleep. I should stop playing the guitar in the car while she's driving.

Beakybird 06-13-2018 10:27 PM

Here is a video of me practicing minor 11ths descending into add4 chords and cycling through several keys. I make mistakes - a little nervous, but it's pretty difficult stuff. Lots of big stretches.

Here's a link as my embed didn't work: https://youtu.be/liMKHjbYwpg

rick-slo 06-13-2018 10:35 PM

Thanks for the video. A better context. However fingers are so tied up with making those chords there little to no room for a melody line harmony thing, and then throw in some scales, etc..
Even for pure chord melody stuff the lag time in forming those stretched out fingered chords could be an issue.

Beakybird 06-13-2018 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick-slo (Post 5756563)

Thanks for the video. A better context. However fingers are so tied up with making those chords there little to no room for a melody line harmony thing, and then throw in some scales, etc..
Even for pure chord melody stuff the lag time in forming those stretched out fingered chords could be an issue.

I'll get it together. I've only had the guitar for 5 weeks, and hadn't played for 10 years.

Guitars+gems 06-14-2018 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beakybird (Post 5756568)
I'll get it together. I've only had the guitar for 5 weeks, and hadn't played for 10 years.

Those chords do sound very musical and pretty, and lullabye-esque. I wonder...are you playing piano on your guitar?

1neeto 06-14-2018 12:42 AM

Digging the sound very much.