The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Acoustic Amplification (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bose S1 Pro Backpack review and rig rundown - video (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515170)

Methos1979 06-29-2018 02:09 PM

Bose S1 Pro Backpack review and rig rundown - video

Hey AGF!,

I got my free S1 backpack yesterday and I have to say, I'm really impressed with the quality. Not only is it very well designed and built but there is a huge (relatively speaking) storage area on top. Up until now we typically carried the S1 with it's slip cover, a guitar with it's gig bag and the gig bag pocket(s) stuffed with cords and we still needed to carry a small canvass bag for several items. No more! With the S1 backpack everything fits into just the two things.

My outdoor/all battery powered rig is finally done having found a good solution for powering my Neunaber Wet Reverb pedal. We have our first outdoor gig tomorrow with no available power and all the final pieces of the puzzle arrived in the mail yesterday. So I decided to do a video review showing the S1 backpack but also do a rig rundown for tomorrow's all-battery powered gig showing how everything we need fits easily into just the S1 backpack and the Emerald gig bag.

We practiced outside with this setup today and it sounded GREAT! I'll report back tomorrow (or in the near future, at least) with how the actual gig went. We are on day 1 of what is forecasted to be a 7-day straight heatwave with temps in the high 90's and humid! So I expect the gig to be brutal. Fortunately, it's a morning gig and we're just playing 1.5 hours so we should be done before it get's too bad but I'm sure I'll lose a few pounds in sweat.

One thing I wanted to say to all you AGF veterans out there as well as you newbies just checking in for the first time: Nearly every piece of equipment I've acquired and now use is most often a direct result of suggestions, feedback, opinions and answers to question that I posed at some point here on AGF. The beauty of this forum is just how helpful people are with regard to finding great equipment. Real-world experiences and reviews like this one are what we are all about which is why I tend to be so prolific in sharing my opinions with detailed written and video reviews!

Here's the video:

Captain Jim 06-29-2018 04:38 PM

Nice review, Scott. Good to see that you found that Bose backpack functional. Free is a good price! ;)

Davis Webb 06-29-2018 11:38 PM

Good review. I will definitely get one.

BoneDigger 06-30-2018 10:09 AM

Glad you like it! I've got my rig down to all battery powered now as well.

Methos1979 06-30-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoneDigger (Post 5771460)
Glad you like it! I've got my rig down to all battery powered now as well.

We just finished an outdoor gig in 90 degree weather - it was awesome. The rig sounded perfect. The people really enjoyed it and the venue owner was beside herself with joy with our performance. It was our first time playing there and she definitely wants to have us back. We got a ton of compliments from patrons as well.

The equipment worked as planned/hoped. Could not be happier with every aspect of it. The Bose sounded great, dispersed sound perfectly. The VE-8 was awesome for EQ, effects, tone and harmony but the absolute best thing is that notch knob which allows me to dial out on the fly the problem frequency.

It never fails that EVERY place we play there is a slightly different feedback problem (frequency). It used to be a bear with the PARA to dial out. The VE-8 just turn until it magically disappears! All in all a great first time out with the all-battery rig.

Captain Jim 06-30-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Methos1979 (Post 5771541)
We just finished an outdoor gig in 90 degree weather - it was awesome. The rig sounded perfect. The people really enjoyed it and the venue owner was beside herself with joy with our performance. It was our first time playing there and she definitely wants to have us back. We got a ton of compliments from patrons as well.

The equipment worked as planned/hoped. Could not be happier with every aspect of it. The Bose sounded great, dispersed sound perfectly. The VE-8 was awesome for EQ, effects, tone and harmony but the absolute best thing is that notch knob which allows me to dial out on the fly the problem frequency.

It never fails that EVERY place we play there is a slightly different feedback problem (frequency). It used to be a bear with the PARA to dial out. The VE-8 just turn until it magically disappears! All in all a great first time out with the all-battery rig.

Glad to hear it all worked out! I haven't tried the S1 outdoors yet - what size crowd were you playing to, and how far away (on average) were you from them?

That S1 is a capable little unit. :up:

Methos1979 06-30-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Jim (Post 5771695)
Glad to hear it all worked out! I haven't tried the S1 outdoors yet - what size crowd were you playing to, and how far away (on average) were you from them?

That S1 is a capable little unit. :up:

It was an outdoor concrete patio, probably 40' x 60' with us at one end/corner right next to the building with the Bose aimed diagonally out. There were probably 8 large round well spaced tables with at least 4 people to each table, with all the tables full most of the time. I made sure to tell both outside waitresses, the hostess, and the owner to let us know if the music was too loud or soft and they never asked us to turn it up or down during the performance and said afterwards that the volume was perfect.

I did turn down a little bit from our nominal (the Bose 50% detent) when we first started because of being so close to the side of the building I was getting some weird tones due to reflecting surfaces of brick and glass. We were right up next to the building's windowed wall as there was a good sized overhang that kept the sun off us. There was also a brick column immediately to our left. It always amazes me how each venue is so very different from all others. Each one provides it's own challenges for sure!

Captain Jim 07-03-2018 08:07 PM

I bought the S1 backpack from one of the participants here (thanks, Jim/Benderman57) - a nice fit and good protection for the S1, plus room for cords, mic, pedal. I bought my S1 when Bose first announced they would be including the battery, so no free backpack for me.

It just arrived today. I like it!

Marty C 07-05-2018 04:09 AM

I played at a festival yesterday, which was indoors. I put everything I needed in the backpack. TC Helicon Play Acoustic, 3 xlr cables, instrument cable, mic, lithium battery for Play Acoustic and ipad with mic mount.

I placed the guitar on a small table in tilt back position, had the TC unit output on 35% and the volume on the S1 Pro on channel 1 & 2 about 3:00 (75%). I was also on a stage about 2’ high. I was positioned just to the left on my speaker and it was about 3 feet away and just behind me so I could hear a little.

The room I was in had maybe 100 people and was probably 75’ x 75’. The group was mainly socializing, eating and volunteers working/serving/cleaning. I was basically background music.

I ran 100% on battery power for about 3-4 hours. Played two sets and some background music in between. There was a large, new PA system I could have used but I really wanted to stick with my system to see how things went.

I think this was the best I have sounded in a long time. The vocals were clear and the volume was perfect for this group and setting. No one asked for me to be louder or softer. The music ranged from soft, slow ballad finger picking to louder, more energetic strumming tunes. I had a great time and without worrying about my sound, my confidence grew as I was more relaxed. I had many compliments on my sound. The elevated, tilt back position provided the best eq for me and this room.

Since this was my first time playing out with this setup, I had a small mixer, some different mics and a different guitar I left in my car (except the guitar I brought in out of the heat ). I never needed any of these items and they stayed in the car all day.

I was able to arrive 2 hours before the crowd and played around some while the workers were busy setting up tables and decorating for the 4th festival. It gave me a good opportunity to adjust the sound. The guitar - treble flat and bass at 11:00. The vocal channel - bass at 10:00 and treble at 3:00.

Very happy with the results. The backpack was very cool and was able to pack up in a few minutes. Backpack on my back, guitar in one hand and mic stand in the other. One trip to and from the car. Great day, except for passing a kidney stone the night before and one again yesterday morning.