The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carbon Fiber (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Brand new X7 (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518457)

acwild 08-13-2018 09:36 AM

Brand new X7

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...pscscw4n1z.jpg

I would have posted earlier but I can’t stop playing it. Sorry for the terrible picture but it’s raining here. It’s posted next to my Taylor 322 12-fretted for a size comparison.

The X7 is amazing! Where’d they find all of the bass that it has?!? My wife says that it’s as loud as my other acoustics but she may have been hinting at getting me to stop playing, not really sure yet. :-)

The ergonomics make it hard to go back to flat tops. And the mug is a nice touch.

Kerbie 08-13-2018 09:44 AM

Aren't they great! Congratulations... that's a wonderful guitar. Very comfortable to play and sounds great too.

JasonA 08-13-2018 09:59 AM

I heartily agree. Congrats!

jdinco 08-13-2018 10:25 AM

Had you ever played the Rev2 version of the X7 AC ? I'm wondering how the tone compares.

mountainmaster 08-13-2018 10:30 AM

Congratulations! Is that a standard Artisan or did you have it customized?
I almost feel sorry for your Taylor. ;)

Kerbie 08-13-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainmaster (Post 5808382)
I almost feel sorry for your Taylor. ;)

I think it's gonna start feeling lonely and neglected. :D

Arco 08-13-2018 11:17 AM

She’s a beauty, enjoy! :)

acwild 08-13-2018 12:07 PM

Hahaha, thanks All!
This is my first experience with a carbon fiber guitar, so comparisons can only be made to wood guitars.
My timing was perfect for this as when I was ordering the X7, Emerald just released the new version for purchase. As such, I also think I snuck in for the last Opus. I got it with the LR Baggs Anthem and it sounds wonderful through an amp.
I've read about "the carbon fiber sound" and at this point I'm not really sure what that is... The X7 just sounds like a full-bodied acoustic to my ears. More bass than the Taylor but in a very usable and articulate way.
One thing that surprised me is how small the headstock is. In pics, it kinda looks like a PRS headstock. In reality, it's much, much smaller. Also, the upper fret access is amazing! Imo, it's a brilliant design that works well.
There's nothing at all that I can find to upgrade. If you don't own one of those strap clips for the wide Baggs type jacks, that's all I can recommend. :D

Long Road Home 08-13-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerbie (Post 5808390)
I think it's gonna start feeling lonely and neglected. :D

Congratulations on the new arrival. BTW, is that a sunburst finish on the Taylor, or is it just embarrassed by (or angry at) the X7? ;)

wickedwahine 08-13-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acwild (Post 5808478)
One thing that surprised me is how small the headstock is. In pics, it kinda looks like a PRS headstock. In reality, it's much, much smaller. :D

I agree, the X7 has a super small headstock. I have one of the models from 2017, and as I wait for my new X7, I've been playing (and enjoying it). The only haggle I have is that I use Snark clip on tuners and it doesn't want to stay on that headstock. Do you use a clipon tuner for yours?

PS, congrats your new baby is beautiful. :)

JasonA 08-13-2018 12:53 PM

Having had both the smaller and now the larger x7, I'd say the original was a very nice, loud parlor guitar. The new one has a deeper body and closer to 00-size, and sounds like a full-size guitar! AC isn't kidding about the bass.

Earl49 08-13-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedwahine (Post 5808505)
I agree, the X7 has a super small headstock.....The only haggle I have is that I use Snark clip on tuners and it doesn't want to stay on that headstock. Do you use a clipon tuner for yours?

My wife uses a Snark on her X7 without issues. There isn't a lot of extra space, but it works. I also use them on my X20 and X20-12.

I have considered using the strap button by putting an aluminum L-bracket inside the sound hole, and attaching the Snark to it (minus the clip-on bracket - I have a couple of functional but broken ones laying around in the parts box). I just haven't gotten around to doing this on my X20 as a trial before proposing the idea to my wife for her X7. This would have the added benefit of keeping the tuner out of sight, and not having to remove it from the headstock before putting the guitar in a case. Just thinking out loud.....

acwild 08-13-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pax238 (Post 5808499)
Congratulations on the new arrival. BTW, is that a sunburst finish on the Taylor, or is it just embarrassed by (or angry at) the X7? ;)

Thanks! I would think that my Taylor is relieved that another guitar will be getting all of the abuse. :D

I'm using a Stroboclip HD. There's just enough real estate to make it work but it is a wee bit of a tip to grab onto.

JasonA, that's an interesting comparison. I'm very happy with the way that the new X7 sounds to the point that I do believe that it will be my main stage guitar. It's still the honeymoon phase though so in all fairness I still have to give it more of a shakedown. Congrats again on your new baby!

kramster 08-13-2018 03:19 PM

You done good...real good!

acwild 08-13-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramster (Post 5808650)
You done good...real good!

Thanks! I’m a very happy man. :D