The Acoustic Guitar Forum

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   LISTEN (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Who's Ready for McCartney III ??? (https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596186)

aeisen93 10-24-2020 02:10 PM

Who's Ready for McCartney III ???

McCartney III is coming out in December! 40 years since McCartney II...

I hope it's better than Egypt Station. :D

mc1 10-24-2020 05:11 PM

Funny how I always thought he was more prolific than that.

Brucebubs 10-24-2020 08:41 PM

I remember buying 'McCartney' when it came out back in 1970.
I was still mourning the break up of the Beatles and interested to hear if Paul alone could fill that gap.
Not quite.
There were songs on there that definitely could have made it as Beatles tracks ... and some that couldn't.

His early versions of 'Junk' and 'Teddy Boy' are on The Beatles Anthology 3.

MakingMusic 10-26-2020 04:31 PM

Was always a big Beatles fan and then some of McCartney's music after that. But his later music has been a diminishing interest for me. I'm sure I'll give it a listen but probably not in a rush to do so.

aeisen93 12-17-2020 04:19 PM

McCartney 3 is almost here! I really hope it's good. His recent music has been disappointing for me.

Lkristians 12-17-2020 05:27 PM

Very much looking forward to it. I always seemed to gravitate to John's songs, but Paul's greatness is ad infinitum. I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" is his best vocal as a solo. He really nails it.

SprintBob 12-18-2020 09:18 AM

Great review of this album in the Wall Street Journal in their Life and Arts section yesterday. Reviewer opined it was McCartney’s best solo album.

aeisen93 12-18-2020 10:07 AM

Just heard the full album... I'm very disappointed! If anyone else here has heard it, what are your thoughts?

Rudy4 12-20-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SprintBob (Post 6579246)
Great review of this album in the Wall Street Journal in their Life and Arts section yesterday. Reviewer opined it was McCartney’s best solo album.

IMHO that wouldn't take much.

I'm 67 and was a huge Beatles fan, and it's always been apparent to me that Lennon-McCartney was truly the best example I can think of as the sum far exceeding the parts. After the break up there was little that held my interest.

George Harrison displayed far more creative output, and even Ringo is a musical tour de force in the world. PM gets a lot of press, though. That's most likely the result of being half of the juggernaut that they were as a songwriting team. He just did an interview on CBS Sunday Morning to promote the album's release.

jricc 12-21-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aeisen93 (Post 6579304)
Just heard the full album... I'm very disappointed! If anyone else here has heard it, what are your thoughts?

Listening to it now. I've heard it once thru...my take, Paul is in a, "I dont give a s##t mood", and having fun. Is it a great record? Not in my opinion, but like all McCartney records, there are some good songs on it.

I'm liking the acoustic based tracks, thus far my favorite tracks are, Long Tailed Winter Bird (though it's a bit too long), Find My Way, Pretty Boys, Kiss of Venus, Seize the Day and Winter Bird.

I am grateful that Paul is still around and still creating new music.

Brent Hahn 12-21-2020 11:08 AM

On the other hand, there's (eventually) this:

H165 12-21-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

I am grateful that Paul is still around and still creating new music.
I too am grateful that Paul is still around and still creating new music.

:D. :up:

merlin666 12-21-2020 01:57 PM

It's on Amazon Prime without additional cost so I gave it a spin. I never listened to any of his stuff without other Beatles intentionally, and must say that I quite like it. He plays all instruments and there are many nice acoustic guitar parts. The last song is great sounds like some of his Beatles ballads and I hope I will have a chance to learn playing and singing it.

jricc 12-22-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H165 (Post 6582079)
I too am grateful that Paul is still around and still creating new music.

:D. :up:

:up::up::up: right on!

Brucebubs 12-22-2020 03:45 PM

It's a 'buy-it-because-he-was-great' album that I'd play through once and never listen to again.
Sorry guys but I've already got a few of those from other great artists of the past ... like Joe Walsh.